NowTV box

Comments

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Once on Now TV, episodes will remain available for several months, at least.
    Not in all cases. The last series of Game of Thrones was available for only a few weeks. By the time they were showing the later episodes in the series, the first ones in the same series had already disappeared. (But I'm sure they will be back soon.)

Similarly, the latest series of The Americans had only a few weeks of lifespan.

It probably depends on who owns the rights. Fox and HBO might only allow short windows. Most of the stuff made by Sky seems to stay on forever.
    koru
  • The Chat Line person I spoke to (mind was like pulling teeth and still didn't get any straight answers to the questions I really wanted to know and refused to transfer me to someone who might be able to help) said there were plans to introduce a recordable Now tv box. It would mean going out and buying another box most likely
  • koru
    Beremy wrote: »
    wondering if it really is cheaper than sky.
    It depends partly on how you use NowTV. Official price for Entertainment = 12x7.99 = £95 per year, if you just let it autorenew each month.

But if you buy passes on eBay, there's no need to pay more than £3 per month. And you can skip chunks of the year. eg, I bought a 3 month pass in the summer, to watch GoT, and at the same time I have caught up on everything else I wanted to watch on NowTV. I probably won't buy another pass for 6 months or so, when I will catch up again. So this year it cost me £9.
    koru
  • koru
    The Chat Line person I spoke to (mind was like pulling teeth and still didn't get any straight answers to the questions I really wanted to know and refused to transfer me to someone who might be able to help) said there were plans to introduce a recordable Now tv box. It would mean going out and buying another box most likely
    The Sky box can record downloads, so I wouldn't be surprised. It would be a big improvement, in my view. I imagine they will have a way to prevent you for watching recordings if you don't have a live NowTV pass.
    koru
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The Chat Line person I spoke to (mind was like pulling teeth and still didn't get any straight answers to the questions I really wanted to know and refused to transfer me to someone who might be able to help) said there were plans to introduce a recordable Now tv box. It would mean going out and buying another box most likely

Can't quite see the economic sense of that ...effectively undercutting even more,their own Sky packages via satellite :o
  • koru
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Can't quite see the economic sense of that ...effectively undercutting even more,their own Sky packages via satellite :o
    With the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime offering much lower prices than Sky TV for entertainment shows, perhaps Sky judge that the future inevitably lies with streaming. Better to self-cannibalise than let Netflix and Amazon gradually steal all your customers (other than those who will always pay a premium for exclusive sport content).
    koru
  • spo2
    spo2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We currently have a bundled package from Sky which we are thinking of getting rid of because it costs so much. We still need the fibre broadband, and incoming phonecalls, but TV-wise we could make do with freeview and a Humax recorder, except that there are a couple of programmes on Sky channels that we watch (Sky1 and Atlantic)

With this in mind, we were thinking of subscribing to Now TV for these programmes, but I don't know much about it. I know you can't download the programmes to watch later, but apparently there is an option to save for later - is this any good?

Also, is there any way of recording onto my own separate hard drive recorder from Now TV?

Thanks
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2017 at 2:29PM
    spo2 wrote: »
    We currently have a bundled package from Sky which we are thinking of getting rid of because it costs so much. We still need the fibre broadband, and incoming phonecalls, but TV-wise we could make do with freeview and a Humax recorder, except that there are a couple of programmes on Sky channels that we watch (Sky1 and Atlantic)

With this in mind, we were thinking of subscribing to Now TV for these programmes, but I don't know much about it.

All explained on their website.
    I know you can't download the programmes to watch later, but apparently there is an option to save for later - is this any good?

Never heard of that. You would just view again assuming it was still available, it's streaming service after all.
    Also, is there any way of recording onto my own separate hard drive recorder from Now TV?

Thanks

Yes if you have white NOWTV box and an NTSC compatible recorder, but it's a bit of a faff, and the NOWTV box will go into standby after three hours so timer recording may fail.
  • spo2
    spo2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks. We have a smart tv so was just going to order the Now TV through it rather than get a Now TV box. It would save on the standby issue
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Hi all, I've tried looking on the Now TV website but can't find the answer.

If I buy a Now TV box and pass from somewhere like Argos can I wait to activate it until January?

If I buy the NowTV pass currently advertised on their website (12 month entertainment pass for £45 that's activated straight away, right?

I'm just trying to work out the cheapest/easiest way of switching from Sky to NowTV.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure