Co-op card cash a/c Visa Debit card , NO its not

CO-OP card cash A/C
Now I think its time that Co-op Bank should sort out their debit card. I have tried over the phone several times now to bring to the attention of the Co-op, that the card now issued with visa on it is still an Electron card...in the eyes of retailers the card shows as an electron.
Online problems are that you could be 16 years old to have this a/c so ...No tesco and others home delivery's, No pay at Pump, M&S do not accept card online and at a guess many others.

We have finished our IVA and cleared our Experian report now shows score 739, Fair rating. No debts.:A

Now all we want is a basic a/c with an actual visa debit card......will switch from co-op only because of this problem. They say we cannot upgrade our account for 6 years. Well I do not want the shopping embarrassment of a card marked Visa but is an electron any longer .
Any Idea's anyone, thanks Kim

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Is it really the Bank's fault that retailers don't update their details to reflect that your card is, in fact a Visa Debit card? Most banks issue cards that require online authorisation before use, you may find that with an IVA on record that that is all you will be offered.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lol a poster who isnt happy with the card from the bank,
  • savagevixen
    savagevixen Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    I have had this card for 5 years now, it does now say Visa Debit and is accepted in a lot of places. If you check your receipts you will see some say 'debit' and some say 'electron' I think this is down to the individual retailer's systems. I can now use mine in pay at pumps, tesco one's near me at any rate. I use mine to buy Tesco deliveries, Asda deliveries and Sainsbury's deliveries, so I think your information may be well out of date. The only place I can say does not accept my card online now in 2012 is Marks and Spencer.
    Everywhere else is fine. For the record my son opened a Halifax account this morning with an Electron Card, he is 13!!!
    I have managed in the last year to open a full current account with Barclays and have a 'full' debit card. I have not trabsferred any of my banking to this account, because I simply don't need to, I use my card everywhere. Think you are stressing about nothing to be honest.
    And I do a lot of shopping online, as I have 6 kids and don't get out much!! You info is simply outdated.
    :starmod: I am not that savage :heartpuls But I am a Vixen :staradmin
  • pmduk wrote: »
    Is it really the Bank's fault that retailers don't update their details to reflect that your card is, in fact a Visa Debit card? Most banks issue cards that require online authorisation before use, you may find that with an IVA on record that that is all you will be offered.
    Yes it would seem to be..
    In phasing out Visa Electron Cards - The problem seems to occur from banks such as the Cooperative Bank's poor decision to keep the same card number rage (starting 4508-Visa Electron), and instead reclassifying this range of cards as Visa Debit rather than Visa Electron, by a change to its 'bin number type', how it is classed to retailers:Electron,Debit,Credit etc. Without really realising the full consequences for existing card holders. The other option - Issuing new card numbers would have caused problems with Annual automatic payments such as the AA.
    All 3 of our co-op cash cards start with 4508, it would seem that after speaking to tesco's a few minutes ago , they have sorted something out recently.You were right ,they will take our cards by arrangement. Cheers kim
  • I have had this card for 5 years now, it does now say Visa Debit and is accepted in a lot of places. If you check your receipts you will see some say 'debit' and some say 'electron' I think this is down to the individual retailer's systems. I can now use mine in pay at pumps, tesco one's near me at any rate. I use mine to buy Tesco deliveries, Asda deliveries and Sainsbury's deliveries, so I think your information may be well out of date. The only place I can say does not accept my card online now in 2012 is Marks and Spencer.
    Everywhere else is fine. For the record my son opened a Halifax account this morning with an Electron Card, he is 13!!!
    I have managed in the last year to open a full current account with Barclays and have a 'full' debit card. I have not trabsferred any of my banking to this account, because I simply don't need to, I use my card everywhere. Think you are stressing about nothing to be honest.
    And I do a lot of shopping online, as I have 6 kids and don't get out much!! You info is simply outdated.

Thanks for your answers, How long have you been discharged from your court judgement to get a full bank account , we cannot apply till Sept 2014 at the end of our 6 years default notices.
    This morning after a long phone call to the co-op, I had explained to me that the reason why I would not be able to use pay at pump was because ....."It would allow me to go overdrawn on an account that has no overdraft facility."
    The example given to me was , you put your card in and it approves and says ..UP to £80 . He said this would give me the ability if i had it, to over spend. I argued that the same could be said for a full current a/c. He said no because there was an element of borrowing on a current a/c.
    I just asked him if he could escalate up the feedback , If it is a Full Visa Then please provide the prefix of a Visa Card on a replacement card or send me one with electron on it , so we Know where we stand. They have been coming to arrangements slowly, with lots of company's, according to other forums on the subject. Just Google prefix 4508
    Thanks Kim :)
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hiacekim wrote: »
    CO-OP card cash A/C
    No pay at Pump,

Well - my FULL Mastercard credit card from Barclaycard (along with 1m other ex-egg holders) still won't work in any pay at pump machines or be used to top up an ASDA mobile phone ... etc

I'm not sure whose fault the problem is in your case, but don't assume that it's only co-op who makes mistakes in setting cards up.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    hiacekim wrote: »
    The problem seems to occur from banks such as the Cooperative Bank's poor decision to keep the same card number rage (starting 4508-Visa Electron), and instead reclassifying this range of cards as Visa Debit

That would be a logical explanation , but unfortunately it is not the whole problem with the co op pretend visa debit card.

Without going into to much technical detail, the co op card, has been reclassified as a visa debit, but its application ID, (product code) is still visa electron, programmed into the actual cards

The AID for a visa debit is 31010, you can see this on any receipt. The A ID for a visa electron is 321010.

When a card is inserted into a POS terminal, the first thing that is done is the App ID is matched from the card, to a list of available App ID's that the machine is able to process. Its how it knows the difference between a Visa card and a smart card for Kids lunch money.

If the terminal is pre-programmed to reject Electron(321010), then it doesn't matter what the card number is, or how shiny and new it is with is visa debit logo, it will not work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure