Is there a way I can upgrade my phone early?

After having an 18 month contract with Vodafone I signed another 2 year contract. I really wanted the iphone 3G but that was going to put the monthly cost up too high (I don't heavily use my phone) so I paid £59.99 towards the phone so I could keep my original monthly payment at £30.

I'm now just over a year into this contract & the iphone 4 has taken over. The problem is that most of the new apps require the iphone 4 software so won't work on my current phone. Is there a way I can get the iphone 4 on my contract so I can actually use it's features?

I logged into my account & tried to upgrade but just got the standard message that I can't upgrade for something like 10 months.

Any advice would be great. I'm not trying to get out of my contract, just get the iphone 4 so I can use the apps xxx
Becs :)
xxx

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As a rule you can only upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract (and then the 3 months get added to the new one, so a 24 month deal will run 27).

They subsided the cost of the phone you have which is covered over the 24 months, so until you've paid that off they have no reason to give you a new phone.

Any way, but the time you get to your upgrade the iPhone 5 will be out and you might have the same problem with 5 apps not working on a 4. There's always a better phone just on the horizon...
  • Annie._2
    Annie._2 Posts: 516 Forumite
    You are able to upgrade 6 months before your contract end date online only and the remaining 6 months are added onto your new contract.

As Jon says, the iphone 5 is due out this summer and that will take you closer to your upgrade date.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    A1Becs wrote: »
    I logged into my account & tried to upgrade but just got the standard message that I can't upgrade for something like 10 months.

Any advice would be great. I'm not trying to get out of my contract, just get the iphone 4 so I can use the apps xxx

You can *ALWAYS* upgrade, the question is how much of a subsidy will they give you on a new phone.

If you really want an iPhone 4 go into an Apple store or the Apple website and buy one sim free. Possibly not what you want to hear but as the others have pointed out you won' get much of a subsidy on a new handset until you are a lot closer to the 10 months that you contract is up.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    A1Becs wrote: »
    After having an 18 month contract with Vodafone I signed another 2 year contract. I really wanted the iphone 3G but that was going to put the monthly cost up too high (I don't heavily use my phone) so I paid £59.99 towards the phone so I could keep my original monthly payment at £30.

I'm now just over a year into this contract & the iphone 4 has taken over. The problem is that most of the new apps require the iphone 4 software so won't work on my current phone. Is there a way I can get the iphone 4 on my contract so I can actually use it's features?

Hi Becs,

In addition to the replies you've had so far if you'd like us to take a closer look at this to see what your upgrade options may be at this moment in time you're welcome to get in touch with the Web Relations Team via email.

To do this you'll just need to head across to our online Contact us form here and to make sure it reaches us quote WRT135 - FAO Lee in the subject line.

To ensure that we can correspond your email to your thread could you also include a link to it in your email and we'll get back to you as soon as we can?

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • A1Becs wrote: »

Do you mean that apps will only run on a specific software version e.g 4.0.1 etc? In which case you just need to update it via iTunes. Of course, you can't use apps which use hardware features of the iPhone 4, but it should allow most apps to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure