Cost of oil central heating

Comments

• amtrakuk
    amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
    Enough people seemed to be worried about the price of oil heating to the extent of figures of £1400+ a year being quoted, people having to lock up and defend their oil tank. I think the days of oil heating is coming to and end.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Oil seems to be v high to run looking at these posts. I have a 3 bed semi with gas fired rads and i pay £30 a month for heating+hot water...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    twiglet98 wrote: »
    Thanks Cardew, pleased to have joined the forums after reading for quite a while.

According to my May statement we'd used approx 2000 Day kWh and 1000 night kWh in the quarter. I understand Economy 7 is 'cheap' rate from midnight to 08.00 GMT and I try to ensure the dryer, washing machine and dishwasher are on then. Of course most use of lights/TV/computers and cooker will be during the evening, before midnight! Generally I use the electric immersion heater only when the oil runs out or the boiler breaks down - the house has a big 1200mm x 500mm cylinder, installed to cope with the ridiculous over-sized bath. Changing the bath for a normal one is on the wish-list, but I always seem to be paying the plumber for emergencies!

If routing water and/or heating through a back boiler on a new, closed-door woodburner is not recommended, perhaps having a timer put on the immersion and using that during the summer would be worthwhile - I'm not sure how much oil goes just to heat water when the heating is off.

My experience of storage heaters in the 70s/80s in a small flat and later, a large bungalow, were of huge, brick-lined boxes that had the place scorching hot at 06.00, cool by mid-afternoon and freezing by 20.00 - that would be deeply unpopular here, we like to be warm in the evening. I'm lining the curtains and will look at adding to the roof insulation. I think I read that grants may be available, though there is already a certain amount of fibreglass up there it's worth finding out.

Firstly the Economy 7 hours vary and are not just midnight to 7 am and in any case vary with British Summer time. - so check!

Your ratio of day/night electricity is good, but the more you can improve it the cheaper it will be.

There is no doubt that if you have E7 then you should always use your immersion heater for Hot water(on E7 of course), In fact you should turn off your oil boiler during the summer.

The problem with the old storage heaters was, as you say, that they leaked heat during the day and had run out at night.

By all accounts the modern storage heaters are much better in that respect - but it is still not an ideal system - although as E7 electricity is much cheaper than oil, you can afforn to 'waste' some heat.

Lastly, with the exception of double glazing, money spent on insulation is seldom wasted.
  • twiglet98
    twiglet98 Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I checked the Economy 7 times with E-on and mine is 01.00 to 08.00 BST, midnight to 07.00 GMT - glad I checked, I've been putting laundry and dishwasher on just after 12 and should have been doing it before breakfast instead! I'll see about getting a timer fitted to the immersion, which is wired straight into the socket - thanks for the advice. I'm not clear how to work out the price of E7 vs oil for hot water only, and the extra-large cylinder (and immersion element) will make it more than averagely expensive, but it has to be worth trying. Many thanks for the advice.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    twiglet98 wrote: »
    I'll see about getting a timer fitted to the immersion, which is wired straight into the socket - thanks for the advice. I'm not clear how to work out the price of E7 vs oil for hot water only, and the extra-large cylinder (and immersion element) will make it more than averagely expensive, but it has to be worth trying. Many thanks for the advice.

If your Immersion is heated on E7 you simply need to look at the price you pay for a kWh- around 4p. Electricity is 100% efficient so that is the cost.

The cost of oil depends on the price you pay for oil and the efficiency of your boiler.

A litre of oil contains 10.2 kWh, so approx 6.5p for a kWh at current prices around 65p/litre.

The efficiency of your boiler can be between 50% for an ancient boiler to 95% for the very latest condensing boiler.

So oil will cost anything between 7p to 13p for a kWh, with 10p being a reasonable average figure.
  • twiglet98
    twiglet98 Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    If your Immersion is heated on E7 you simply need to look at the price you pay for a kWh- around 4p. Electricity is 100% efficient so that is the cost.

The cost of oil depends on the price you pay for oil and the efficiency of your boiler.

A litre of oil contains 10.2 kWh, so approx 6.5p for a kWh at current prices around 65p/litre.

The efficiency of your boiler can be between 50% for an ancient boiler to 95% for the very latest condensing boiler.

So oil will cost anything between 7p to 13p for a kWh, with 10p being a reasonable average figure.

What a star, thank you so much! Now it makes sense!:T
  • amtrakuk
    Hurray to the oil fueled heaters out there. Crude has dropped nearly $10 a barrel. would be interesting to know if/when the savings will be passed on ;)
  • dawnie1972
    dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm moving into a property at the end of this month with oil central heating and its a scary thought as i'm told its going to be very expensive. Can anyone recommend the best places to buy oil from - i'm in Cambridgeshire.
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Dawnie, you can buy oil in various ways.

Look at Boilerjuice.com and their quote service will give you an idea of current prices. You can buy through them if you choose.

See if there is an oil buying group in your area.....ask the neighbours....and you may be able to get discounts by buying together. If there isn't you may be able to start one if other people are interested.

Buy as an individual but the key thing is that you must shop around! Phone a number of suppliers and find out their price per litre for that day. If you have a bulk order see if they will discount it.

edited to add: I have not found that any one supplier is always the cheapest.

The bigger the oil delivery the cheaper the unit price, so never order just 500 litres, go for a 1000 litres plus.
  • amtrakuk
    I dont use oil but out of interest I've done a quote for my area, LS12. - 61.3p/litre for 1000l.

Good idea to see if you and neighbors can club together, I dont see why not, as long as you're on good terms with them ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure