How much can you save?

Options

Comments

• dazcouz
    dazcouz Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    Options
    I have been a bit careless this month with my finances so my final target of having £30K in the bank by the end of 2009 may be a dream now, will let you guys know anyway ;)
    Competion Wins 2008 - £1700 - 2009 £5300
    2010- £680
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I normally think I am quite good at saving, at the moment it is £700 a month, but I was wondering typically what percentage of the monthly income do regular savers put away.

Got myself into debt as a student, only a £1000 on my credit card and £500 overdraft but that was in the days of grants and no tuition fees. I worked all my holidays and managed to leave uni with £200 in the bank just by watching the pennies. It has taught me that I can't live like that so I keep an eye on my money now.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £400/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    ajmoney wrote: »
    I normally think I am quite good at saving, at the moment it is £700 a month, but I was wondering typically what percentage of the monthly income do regular savers put away.

There's a whole thread about that, here.
  • Crap_with_money.com
    Options
    Vixstar wrote: »
    I have an ISA I've nearly filled. Toying with a regular saver but it's a bit of a pain getting to a bank when they're open to open the account... excuses,excuses. Then I just have a normal savings account for the surplus as I'm saving for a house deposit so I want something pretty instant access. Once I've paid the deposit (or when I think I have enough saved as paying the deposit is totally dependent on selling my own place) I think I'm going to look into one of those fixed accounts - can't remember the proper name - which keeps your money tied up for a fixed period.

Do you need to go to the bank Vixstar? I work p/time in a bank call centre, and you can definitely open any of our savings accounts over the phone - and they're open 24 hours! ;)

And I think you mean a term deposit for the fixed accounts? Although they might be called something else depending on the bank? I'm still a bit of a novice at all this saving m'larky! :D

xx
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well that was a crazy week! Started a new job on monday, but ive just quit and my old place are taking me back!

I was really misled about the new job, and it is a pure telephone support role. Im not willing to do that for 3 years (which is minumum time before promotion) even if it is a big company. I didnt get a 1st class degree to be a phone monkey

Back to my old job in 2 weeks time.

Am i Mad?
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JimLad wrote: »
    Well that was a crazy week! Started a new job on monday, but ive just quit and my old place are taking me back!

I was really misled about the new job, and it is a pure telephone support role. Im not willing to do that for 3 years (which is minumum time before promotion) even if it is a big company. I didnt get a 1st class degree to be a phone monkey

Back to my old job in 2 weeks time.

Am i Mad?

Yes. Very.
  • JimLad
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Yes. Very.

Lol well i enjoyed my old job and only took this new one because it was a bigger company and the benefits like pension and the variety of things they do.

For all those positives, there is the negative that i will go mad if i am IT support for 3 years after being a developer for all of my working career so far.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • dippykitty
    dippykitty Posts: 1,138 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear that the new job didn't work out, JimLad. From what you've said, it sounds like you've done the right thing as it doesn't seem like you'd have been happy there despite the extra money you'd have got.

Transferred £52 over to the ISA today. The savings are only really being topped up by dribs and drabs every so often at the moment so things have kind of stagnated lately. I was hoping for £15k by the end of the year but at this rate, I'll be lucky to get much past £13k!
    ISA savings: £25,139 Other Savings: £1750 (tied up in bond)
  • JimLad
    Options
    Talking about ISA's. my 3600 has disappeared from abbey but not appeared at halifax yet...worrying times.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Wanttosave_2
    Wanttosave_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Quite right JimLad - you don't want to be a phone monkey! lol :p I am planning to do the Open University soon as I don't intend to put up with 'skivvy' jobs, not that I do now. Don't get me wrong, I'll muck in with the rest of them but I think it's all about knowing your true worth and not letting people 'push you around'.

I am pleased this month - I have reached my first 10,000 pound saving goal!! Horray for me :j Now I will concentrate on accelerating these savings as quickly as possible - any pointers, please pass them my way.

Best wishes

Money Angel
    :A
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family