PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I can help Camelot with some points? I do this as part of my job.PM me if you think I can help.

Julie.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ivyleaf, I do think veg is down in price. I noticed several things were cheaper in Mr. Ts the other day (although still not as cheap as Ald!) and prices in Ald! have come down a bit.

Managed to do the first of the frugal challenge shops for around £2 over budget. I couldn't help that the supersix spuds were out of stock and as I needed them for several things ended up paying just over double for something similar. I bought a pineapple as it was the closest in price/serving as some other fruit that was out of stock. It isn't necessary, but I'm worried a few days will be light on F&V so will chop it up for puds those nights. Otherwise I think I've done fairly well. If I can do as well in the next shops I'll have close to £60 for holiday spends.

I thought about posting it in its own thread, mapping out the meals and the shop, but I'm relying on well-built stocks, I've got extra time to do things like make barm cakes from scratch. Although I'm enjoying the challenge for a one off with pleasant consequences, I feel how heavy a burden it would be if I were busy with children and full-time employment and making the target of £1/person/day were necessity and not saving up for something fun. I don't think it would be fair to pretend that anyone could do it.
  • A sunny little corner in the middle of the village for anyone who hasn't got spring yet - it has definitely sprung here!

2h4ixzr.jpg
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    A sunny little corner in the middle of the village for anyone who hasn't got spring yet - it has definitely sprung here!

2h4ixzr.jpg

We had spring last week, sunny quite warm and washing hanging out drying. This week we have had sleet, snow, high winds, torrential rain and a tiny bit of sun :rotfl:
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Looked at the weather report this morning - wind dropped a lot so went down to the club and DH rowed out to the mooring to put the marker line in place. I was with him to hold the wet, cold, slimy buoy & balance the dinghy while he hooked everything in place - oh what fun haha. Still its all done now. We treated ourselves to lunch in the local garden centre - Corned Beef Hash - haven't had any for years & it was really delicious & of course we had to make room for some home made cake after ;) Feeling totally stuffed now so it will be a very light tea.
    Love the spring photo MrsL - saw a clump of what looked like tall snowdrops at the club - will have to check 'cos I don't think they'd thrive in a salty atmosphere.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A sunny little corner in the middle of the village for anyone who hasn't got spring yet - it has definitely sprung here!

2h4ixzr.jpg

Thank you Lyn - I do so love celandines!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I would probly eat more veg if I knew how to cook it. All I know is to boil things to death.
  • chickens11
    chickens11 Posts: 326 Forumite
    Mardather.....I thought I was the worst cook ever, but I can cook veg good and I dont boil the guts out of it and it ends up on the plate soft and tasteless , I always hang around in the kitchen when the veg goes on so I cook it just right ........
    I can do a good roast , but I dont enjoy cooking at all nor baking , id rather clean the house , windows , oven , ironing , cutting grass , fixing stuff outside , digging the hens run over , but I dont like cooking ......
    Its nice to see a lot of posters on here share cooking tips , recipes....

Hope your all okay and looking forward to the easter long weekend...Sheila
    My motto is " one life live it ".....:)
  • Mardartha have you tried roasting veg? Toss prepared veg (carrots, red onion, beets, peppers etc) in a little oil salt and pepper, garlic if you like and roast in the oven. Sorry if you already know about this, grandmother eggs etc!!
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    That little pic of spring gives me hope, its bloomin chilly here and I have wet washing hanging around which makes me unhappy :( On the other hand my windowsills are full of little trays of seedlings which are shouting to be potted on. :)
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills