IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking charge notice- now received county court claim form

Comments

• clare7
    clare7 Posts: 13 Forumite
    leeda84 wrote: »
    Street view on Google Maps is your friend - Jersey St car park, Manchester taken in June 2015.

Hi Leeda84,

Yes that's the one, althought google maps street view doesn't let me into the car park to zoom in on the signs- i'm not sure how much use the big sign at the front will be?

Thanks for your help
  • leeda84
    leeda84 Posts: 62 Forumite
    clare7 wrote: »
    Hi Leeda84,

Yes that's the one, althought google maps street view doesn't let me into the car park to zoom in on the signs- i'm not sure how much use the big sign at the front will be?

Thanks for your help
    Even if you can't see the signs actually in the car park, I would suggest that the signs at the entrance would be of use. There is nothing obvious or clear on any of these signs that invites the driver to read the terms and conditions of the car park. In fact, there is nothing to suggest on these signs that there are any T&Cs, only costs to pay depending on the amount of time you wish to park.

If they can put that MASSIVE sign up with just a number taking up half of it, I would imagine they could have inserted some more text in a large, easy to read font to tell drivers they were entering in to a contract by parking there.
  • clare7
    Hi all,
    I'm just finalising my draft defence and there is something i'm a little unclear on. Is a notice to keeper the ticket that was issued on my windscreen? From reading I think the ticket on my windscreen is Notice to Driver- which should have been followed up with a Notice to keeper? All I have is the PCN ticket dated 25/5 and Letter before claim dated 20/9? (and of course the court claim form)

Thanks in advance for your help :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    From reading I think the ticket on my windscreen is Notice to Driver- which should have been followed up with a Notice to keeper?
    You are right, because you did not appeal as the driver, you appealed as the keeper, so the Act says they have to issue a (compliant) NTK in order to hold a keeper liable. They cannot miss that step out - look at paragraph 8 of Schedule 4.

So yes, you can have in your defence that the Claimant failed to serve the required documents to establish keeper liability under the POFA Schedule 4 (be a bit vague like that at this stage).

You can also have that the driver did pay as soon as the phone app was working.

You can also have that pay-by-phone which involves an exchange of more than one text, falls under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 and the 'contract' failed the requirements of those regulations in more than one way (no need to spell out how yet).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/made

Show us your draft defence and if it's a Gladstones one, base it on others you see that were written recently, by searching 'Gladstones incoherent'. You want that wording...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • clare7
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Show us your draft defence and if it's a Gladstones one, base it on others you see that were written recently, by searching 'Gladstones incoherent'. You want that wording...

right here goes...

1. It is admitted that the Defendant was the authorised registered keeper of the vehicle in question at the time of the alleged incident.

2. The identity of the driver of the vehicle on the date in question has not been ascertained.

a. The Claimant did not identify the driver
    b. The Defendant has no liability, as they are the Keeper of the vehicle and the Claimant must rely upon the strict provisions of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 in order to hold the defendant responsible for the driver’s alleged breach.
    c. The Claimant's demanding letter failed to evidence any contravention or clear/prominent signage

3. The Claimant has at no time provided an explanation how the sum has been calculated, the conduct that gave rise to it or how the amount has climbed from £100 to £150. This appears to be an added cost with no reason and an attempt at double recovery, which the POFA Schedule 4 specifically disallows.

a. The Protection of Freedom Act Para 4(5) states that the maximum sum that may be recovered from the keeper is the charge stated on the Notice to Keeper.

4. The signage was inadequate to form a contract with the motorist

a. The signage on this site is inadequate to form a contract. It is barely legible, making it difficult to read, it is only visible on foot and not in direct line of site meaning you have to go out of your way to look for the sign

5. The driver did not enter into any 'agreement on the charge', no consideration flowed between the parties and no contract was established.

a. The Defendant denies that the driver would have agreed to pay the original demand of £100 to agree to the alleged contract had the terms and conditions of the contract been properly displayed and accessible
    b. The car park in question is one which I am completely familiar with and I know the ticket machine is subject to frequent malfunctions, meaning users have to rely on the pay by phone mobile app, which again is subject to frequent malfunctions. The parking cost was paid for in full as soon as the app was working again, so the claimant has not lost out financially meaning the driver is not liable for further charges. The pay-by-phone app which involves an exchange of more than one step , falls under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 and the 'contract' failed the requirements of those regulations in more than one way
    c. In Jolley v Carmel Ltd [2000] 2 EGLR 154, it was held that a party who makes reasonable endeavours to comply with contractual terms, should not be penalised for breach when unable to fully comply with the terms

6. I researched the matter online, and discovered that the Claimant is a member of the Independent Parking Committee (IPC), an organisation operated by Gladstones Solicitors. They also operate the Independent Appeals Service (IAS), the allegedly independent body appointed by the Claimant’s trade body, the IPC. My research revealed that the IAS, far from being independent, is a subsidiary of the IPC, which in turn is owned and run by the same two Directors who also run Gladstones Solicitors. The individuals in question are John Davies, and William Hurley. Such an incestuous relationship is incapable of providing any fair means for motorists to challenge parking charges, as well as potentially breaching the SRA Code of Conduct. As such, the Claimant does not come to this matter with clean hands.

7. The claimant has not provided enough details in the particulars of claim to file a full
    defence. In particular, the full details of the contract which it is alleged was broken
    have not been provided.

a. The Claimant has disclosed no cause of action to give rise to any debt.
    b. The Claimant has stated that a parking charge was incurred.

8. The Claimant has given no indication of the nature of the alleged charge in the
    Particulars of Claim.
    a. The Claimant has therefore disclosed no cause of action.
    b. The Particulars of Claim contains no details and fails to establish a cause of action which would enable the Defendant to prepare a specific defence.
    It just states “parking charges” which does not give any indication of on what basis the claim is brought.
    c. There is no information regarding why the charge arose, what the original charge
    was, what the alleged contract was nor anything which could be considered a fair
    exchange of information.
    d. The Particulars of Claim are incompetent in disclosing no cause of action.
    e. On the 20th September 2016 another relevant poorly pleaded private parking
    charge claim by Gladstones was struck out by District Judge Cross of St
    Albans County Court without a hearing due to their ‘roboclaim’ particulars being incoherent, failing to comply with CPR. 16.4 and ‘providing no facts that could give rise to any apparent claim in law.’
    f. On the 27th July 2016 DJ Anson sitting at Preston County Court ruled that the very similar parking charge particulars of claim were efficient and failing to meet CPR 16.4 and PD 16 paragraphs 7.3 – 7.6. He ordered the Claimant in that case to file new particulars which they failed to do and so the court confirmed that the claim be struck out.

I can no longer see the wood for the trees, there is so much useful information on this site it really is great, but taxing on the old brain cells!

Any feedback on the above would be very much appreciated, hopefully i'm not too far off the mark.

Thanks for your support
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Have you complained to the SRA yet? You should, they are surely trying to defraud you.

Who knows, your complaint could be the final straw.

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor.page
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 8 November 2016 at 2:24PM
    You need to decide if you are not going to ID the driver - i.e. if the NTK was definitely not compliant or sent in time/at all, then that is recommended, OR if in a hearing you would rather say that you were the driver but rely upon the honest fact that you DID pay and rely on Jolley v Carmel (glad to see you got that in there, did you get that from Bargepole's personally written defence?).

If you are definitely defending as 'the keeper' because you are sure SIP's NTK was never served/served too late/was definitely woeful re compliance for keeper liability, then edit stuff like this which implies who was driving:
    The car park in question is one which I am completely familiar with and I know the ticket machine is subject to frequent malfunctions, meaning users have to rely on the pay by phone mobile app, which again is subject to frequent malfunctions.

I think this should be a separate defence point not mixed up with 'machine failure' (you don't need to go into detail yet):
    The pay-by-phone app which involves an exchange of more than one step, falls under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 and the 'contract' failed the requirements of those regulations in various ways in terms of what is required to be provided by a trader before conclusion of such a contract.
  • clare7
    You need to decide if you are not going to ID the driver - i.e. if the NTK was definitely not compliant or sent in time/at all, then that is recommended, OR if in a hearing you would rather say that you were the driver but rely upon the honest fact that you DID pay and rely on Jolley v Carmel (glad to see you got that in there, did you get that from Bargepole's personally written defence?).:

Hi Coupon-mad,

I'm really torn with which stance to take- I certainly have not received a notice to keeper but on the other hand I have also paid for the parking anyway! I was struggling to find any defence points for the latter so i'm maybe thinking i'll have more behind me if I go with the not ID'ing the driver. Do you have any further points to defend my case for actually paying after the app malfunction?!

I did indeed get the Jolley v Carmel from Bargepole's defence- I hope that's ok?!

Thanks again for your support
  • Coupon-mad
    I did indeed get the Jolley v Carmel from Bargepole's defence- I hope that's ok?!

Yes it is fine and I'm glad (so will bargepole be, I'm sure) that you read his example defence, picked out the relevant case law to use for your defence but didn't just try to use the entire appeal, which he was at pains to point out was relevant to a certain case in many ways.

I would go for defending as keeper, as it gives you the POFA Schedule 4 to use...however in any hearing you would have to be well primed with how to state your case 'as keeper'. You'd be armed with a copy of Schedule 4 printed out, also the Regulations re distance contracts - and photos if you have them, plus a comparison pic of the Beavis case sign (to show clarity and brevity of terms).
    Do you have any further points to defend my case for actually paying after the app malfunction?!
    Only to say that if the signs do not say WHEN in the parking period the pay-by-phone app must be completed then you can't be bound by terms that are (presumably?) simply not there. After all the car wasn't moved, you hadn't made off without paying, you paid and complied after your 'best endeavours' in the end as soon as the system worked - and did not in fact contravene the terms as drafted.
  • clare7
    Only to say that if the signs do not say WHEN in the parking period the pay-by-phone app must be completed then you can't be bound by terms that are (presumably?) simply not there. After all the car wasn't moved, you hadn't made off without paying, you paid and complied after your 'best endeavours' in the end as soon as the system worked - and did not in fact contravene the terms as drafted.

The Pay by phone app sign reads (in small print at the very bottom) 'You must pay by phone at the time of parking. If for whatever reason you cannot complete the transaction, you must pay using an alternative method or find somewhere else to park'

To be able to read this you would have to get out of your car and walk round to the sign as it is impossible to read from just driving in- parking and leaving the car park on foot out the main exit.

If I choose to defend as keeper- I presume I then have to forget the fact I have paid and cannot use any of that in my defence?!

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport