Combo Breaker First Post
    is there a date code on that tyre?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    treboeth wrote: »
    I know, its called a sense of humour, maybe get one of those when you have some decent tyres fitted.
    I could have said people like you should not be allowed to drive if you have those fitted to a car :D
    Judging by the smiley there is at least one person who finds you hilarious, say hello next time you pass a mirror ;)
  • JDPower wrote: »
    Judging by the smiley there is at least one person who finds you hilarious, say hello next time you pass a mirror ;)
    it denotes a sense of humour, try one they are great, so whats the date code on them?
  • Alt
    Alt Posts: 353 Forumite
    JDPower wrote: »
    Not sure, couldn't find an obvious date stamp when I had a quick look earlier, will look again tomorrow (out of pure curiosity, not to make an excuse to keep it on the car, before the smart !!!!!! jump in)

How to date a tyre:

The date your tyres were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually preceded by the letters DOT. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010.

Alt
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2016 at 10:48PM
    JDPower wrote: »
    ...... couldn't find an obvious date stamp when I had a quick look earlier, will look again tomorrow (out of pure curiosity, not to make an excuse to keep it on the car, before the smart !!!!!! jump in)

My enquiry was also pure curiosity as I had some Michelins at 12 years old which started to look a bit like that.

Look for a 4 digit code - the first 2 digits give the week of production the last 2 give the year.

If there is only a 3 digit code then the tyre was manufactured last century. ;)

Edit - I see Alt beat me to it.
  • JDPower
    edited 10 October 2016 at 10:48PM
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    is there a date code on that tyre?
    Like I said, couldn't find an obvious one after a quick look earlier, started wondering how old it was myself (only recently got the car and minor maintenance tasks clearly went undone by the previous owner, they may have been even more clueless than ME. Shocker I know :D )
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    My enquiry was also pure curiosity as I had some Michelins at 12 years old which started to look a bit like that.

Look for a 4 digit code - the first 2 digits give the week of production the last 2 give the year.

If there is only a 3 digit code then the tyre was manufactured last century. ;)

Edit - I see Alt beat me to it.

the tyres that came on my 1978 Kawasaki trials bike (stood in a cave in germany for XX yrs) had no date stamps , I think the only started in the 90s
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • JDPower
    Well just to set everyone's mind at ease, new tyres are ordered.

Also beginning to wonder, given that the other three tyres on the car were ultra budget tat, whether the Avon might have been bought as a pre-worn or some such and may be even older than you would expect. Will update, for completeness sake, with date stamp when I have a proper look tomorrow ;)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    They were really old and to be honest not very good tyres anyway.
    I once had those to replace some Bridgestone ER300 and I was very glad when I wore them out, absolutely terrible. Replaced them with Falken ZE914s and it was like i'd fitted the Bridgestones back on.

As far as track day tyres go, Avon do some good stuff, but I wouldn't buy them for a road car again.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Never used to check dates, but my two fronts went like that recently on the sidewall.
    Both Michelins, fitted by the seller as the fronts that were on it were getting low.
    The clue there was something not right was the undertray started to ground out in certain situations when it hadn't previously.
    Checked the dates, they were 9 years old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure