LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 15 January 2014 at 11:10PM
    aaw.. thanks you lovely folks. I feel like I need a really good catch up but 2014 has started back hard and fast paced at work so I am running to catch up what feels like ALL the time..ho hum. At least my thoughts of setting off have subsided somewhat..usually a good thing where I am concerned :)

So news wise..

We have had the house valued, worth a horrendous amount. (Well there are plenty of houses nicer and bigger but as a total it seems crazy) Makes me sick really. but as an asset its handy. We have thought about it and decided to stick for the moment and really try to budget this year, and remain within our means. At least we know we have options.

I hope our tenant will stick around for a while longer as she's ace but also the income is ace. We like having tenants and so, as long as they are nice, we decided thats going to be a permanent feature of our household.

I am going to stay at 4 days and try and settle again in my current job, and have already floated the idea of a change of scope to keep me interested and focussed. I have loved it and know I can do so again. In the current market it seems mad to try and change.

Credit card totals took a beating from Xmas and skiing, but assuming I haven't miscalculated the bills they are all on track to be paid off next month. My OD has been creeping up and that is a priority. Although I love making the TTs (and the last card is sinking to the £4,500s :))..I really need to stop that until I am firmly in the black. 31 March still seems possible but I need to keep focussed. Takeaways and ready meals are creeping in :eek:and thats not healthy or wise (but a symptom of 'rewards' for hard work and when I cant bear to start cooking!!)

So, have just done a meal planner and done an online shop. Does have some treats in there but now off to make some bread to balance it out just a little. Have also decided to try oxtail..I know its a frugal choice and I am keen to try. I know Mrs Tilly likes it. I also love belly pork so that will go in the SC. We are also trying to do some fish and veggie meals.. for health and wallet reasons.

We are finding tracking all our spends on a wee app very useful so my NY resolution is to keep that up and always spend my money THOUGHTFULLY:money:

No big holidays planned this year;) but am thinking about a simple road trip to France. I reckon that if we are sensible we can go for about the same as we could spend here. The van makes accommodation dirt cheap (some nights will be free) and with some good weather we would be happy mucking about outside all day. One to ponder. Again we will only go if we set aside the money beforehand. Thats our new rule:T.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Good to hear you had a fantastic holiday and are raring to go! I think 2014 is going to be a good year for all of us! :D

Box of Fluffies x
    Diary: Conquering Debts Once and For All
    CC1 Jan 2012 $875.32 / CLEARED
    CC2 Jan 2012 $5,883.33 / June 2014 CLEARED
    Mortgage Jan 2012 $382,997.08 / Sept 2014 $367,775.37
    Business Loans Feb 2012 $48,407.52 / Sept 2014 $5,289.09

Ex mortgage - 89.07% debt paid
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    All looking good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • daisystar
    daisystar Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Post
    You're back!!! :j:j How was the trip??

Sounds like you've been doing a lot of thinking over the last few weeks, you seem very positive. Not long to go now!! :)
    Debt Oct '13 - [STRIKE]£44,076[/STRIKE] £41,578 5.7% cleared
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Trip was fab, daisy. Magic.

Still very pre-occupied by RL...so still not really catching up here :( but all good. I do feel very positive and that's a good feeling as I was very tired and weary for the last few months of last year.

Had a good day today. We did go out to an early dinner as a family (very special) but we also had a free day out today walking around our fair city. A grey day but by using a free app to do a form of treasure hunt around the harbour and old city we had a great time. 3 hours entertainment for free!

Tomorrow will also be a quiet day. Liking it after all the buzz of work and of course Christmas. Plan to do the oxtail in the SC too. :)
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • dangers
    dangers Posts: 1,456 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi brizzle - what app was it if you don't mind me asking? If it was good, it might be worth my while doing it during h-t. Cheers
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Is the app geocaching? We love that it's fab :) glad you're feeling more upbeat and had a fab trip x
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi we do love geocaching..but this was one from the M Shed, the museum down by the river. Took on a role as a young man down on his luck seeking respectability in the big city of Bristol! :)

Catching up on the Dr Who Xmas special. Like it. :)
  • dangers
    dangers Posts: 1,456 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'll have to see if I can download this - problem is I have an Android phone, not an I-phone. Thanks for the info - should be good for half term!
  • daisystar
    daisystar Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Post
    Ah glad you had a great time - I expect it was brilliant :)

Your day sounds fab - I've only been down to Bristol once and it was lovely round the river, just gorgeous!
    Debt Oct '13 - [STRIKE]£44,076[/STRIKE] £41,578 5.7% cleared
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure