PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 2017 mega index/christmas chat!!!! Yes, it's early I know :)

Comments

• charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Thank you for starting this thread - I try to spread the cost over the year and make/knit/sew/bake homemade Xmas gifts so this thread will be a source of inspiration to do little and often
    :santa2:
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Thank you zippychick! I'd no idea there were so many useful tips on the Christmas threads :)

awww bless you! I made the index years ago , it was a labour of love haha. But yeah, I think it's so handy to get all the links in one go

must look for other threads in MSE this year xx maybe too early!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you for starting this thread - I try to spread the cost over the year and make/knit/sew/bake homemade Xmas gifts so this thread will be a source of inspiration to do little and often
    :santa2:

hmmm that's a great idea! i've recently upped my crochet skills and am always looking for little projects to do on buses (currently butterflies) so would be a good idea to start making little c hristmas ones! Ohhhh!

I think i'm gonna wear my Santa earrings today :xmassmile:rotfl:
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks for this thread zippychick, it's really useful. I'm already checking out the links for ideas. The flavoured vodka might make it on the list this year :D !
    Florence_J wrote: »
    I try to plan big expenses as far in advance as I can so have already been thinking about the C word to such an extent that I have confused my mental clock and I now think it is Autumn.
    :rotfl::rotfl: Oh no, I want some summer first!

Like charlies_aunt, I tend to prep throughout the year too as I really hate the last-minute rush and find it spreads the cost better. So far I have wrapping paper (bought less than half-price just after Xmas) and already have gift tags/ribbons/bows (in Xmas box from previous years) but will need to get some cards. "Family" cards come from a market trader who sells really good, inexpensive ones from around the end of October, plus I'll buy a pack to send to friends. Hang on, I've got a stash of cross-stitch kits that I might be able to use.:)

I make up food hampers for DD and DS/DDiL and start them off from July onwards by getting one or two extras each week (checking the BBE dates of course ;) ). The "hamper" is a cardboard box covered in wrapping paper and I use shredded paper for the packing. The contents are luxury things they wouldn't normally buy and I also put in hm chutney/flavoured oils/jams etc. They look forward to this gift as it means they have unexpected "treats" over the festive period.

My C-knitting started in January and so far I've done a sweater for each of the GC (a 21-yr old, a 3-yr old and 1-yr old twins). I've also bagged two pairs of trousers for the twins, bought 1/2 price in the NY sales. And there's a stash of children's books bought from a promotional offer featured on MSE (10 for £10).

Charity shops can be a good source for presents too and earlier in the year I sourced 6 paperbacks for DD at a cost of £3 (all in very good condition, probably only read once) and they're already wrapped and labelled.

I find it's useful to have a small notebook to write down what I've got and for who; that way no-one is disappointed and it keeps me on track. :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I like to get things sorted early as well as I have quite a bit to do and making and finding gifts throughout the year does help to spread the cost a bit .

A good place for a rummage is the CS for books and boxed up bits of soap and candles etc .

To me if I can buy a yankee candle for a couple of quid that's been gifted to a CS as unwanted and give it to another person whom I know will appreciate it then its win-win.

I have a small drawer at home with odd and ends I have been gifted that I will regift as perhaps they are of no use to me .I was happy when I got them and thanked the person ,but sometimes they just wern't used or needed .So the CS is happy for the donation I am happy to find a present that won't break the bank and hopefully the person who received it is happy as well :):)

Starting early and especially making a list of who to buy for and what you have bought makes perfect sense to me and save all that mad scramble at the last minute so well done for starting us off

JackieO xxx
  • Thanks Zip I am glad of the nudge to start making the fandamily's knitted slippers, I tend to get bored with them if I Ieave them to do all at once at the last minute.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yesterday in a CS I found a brand new cute little Santa cross stitch kit for 25p. Since the colours are essentially just red, white and black I will be able to use the pattern again and again with thread and aida I already have. I thought they'd make lovely little 'special' gift tags for certain elderly relatives' presents. They look like they'll be very quick to stitch.

I'm also about half way through a bright and colourful nursery cross stitch picture of safari animals which I am going to personalise and frame for my new (first) grandchild. He's only going to be 10 months old at Christmas so won't need masses of presents as he won't know what's going on, but a handmade and personalised picture for his nursery wall should fit the bill for one present at least. It's nice to have the luxury of sufficient time to do these projects instead of getting myself into a tizzy trying to finish everything on Christmas Eve (which I'm known to have done before!!)
  • Sazzle13
    Sazzle13 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Thank you for the thread.
    I've started jotting down ideas for my daughter. I got a lot of presents in the Boxing Day sale :) Christmas can be so expensive for one day so thank you for the links, they'll make a good read tomorrow
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I normally start present shopping whilst I'm away on my annual holiday as I like to find things which are different from those on sale locally. I also have one family which are difficult to buy for so need to start thinking early.

Paper and cards were all bought in the sales in January so at least they're done and I make tags out of previous year's cards which again have already been done.

Not sure what we'll do for the actual day this year. We don't know if our new (to us) home will have all the work done by then as we've been distracted by other life events and we've also talked about going away to stay in a posh hotel for a change. Not very OS or MSE but it would be a one-off as next year we would definitely want to be in our home.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Speeding ahead for Christmas, even bought a gammon that was YS that went in the freezer ready.
    Struggling with my DB though. I've got him all of the usual top up bits.

With DB and DSIL their birthdays are 2days apart. DSIL is so easy to buy for and she is sorted for Christmas, my brother moaned about his lack of presents compared to DSIL, but he is so unbelievably difficult too buy for and tends to get the same stuff from all of us.
    If anyone has any ideas that would be great
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills