Smolly's Stumblings to Sanity - the next Chapter...

Options

Comments

• Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you Scott and Ada!!! I am feeling slightly chuffed. Seeing it written down like that brings it home. Still a long way to go but I will get there! I might be shuffling in worn out slippers when I do though!

Decided I needed to start surveys again. Am up to date with Pinecone and think I may have about £15 on there but will need to check. I caught up with PopulusLive tonight and now have £37 in there. I haven't checked any others yet. I've just been filling up with my diary with mystery shops! I did an insanely easy one today where I needed to buy some food. I was only in a few minutes and the report took 5. Easy peasy.

Anyway I must go. Still got stuff to do before bed xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Smolly

Love County Durham... have a friend up there who I don't get to see as much as I would like! Don't know why but I had it in my head you were down south.
    Well done on your debt totals you are doing so well and should be so proud. I have just signed up to a market research company that does focus groups and I am fingers cross getting on the one for car research (have to visit a car lot and fill in some questionnaires) but should be £100 in my pocket for doing it. Depending where you are in good old Yorkshire might be worth a look http://rocketresearch.co.uk/ they email through all sorts and if you fit the criteria can get on groups and most of them are about £40 to turn up for an hour and half
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • ada-or-ardor
    Options
    Smolly, are you on Prolific Academic? I've just joined and the rewards are quite high (relatively) and the surveys fairly short and interesting. It's actually academic researchers looking for more data and i think the payout is only £5 so might be a good one for you :-)

Ada
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    That sounds fantastic jvr - the only focus groups I've seen are all based around London. I'm going to have to look to see if anything is available closer to home.

Every time I read your diary Smolly, I'm struck by how much happier and in control of things you seem than you were just a few months ago. It always makes me smile. :)

I too am going to get stuck into more surveys. I still seem to be screened out of a fair share, but I can't let it stop me from trying!
  • BachSoon
    Options
    Hi smolly. I've come across your diary and just wanted to say hi and well done on the progress you're making on your debt.

I would second vote surveys on prolific academic, the pay outs are good. The payments are much more decent than most other sites. Interesting too, as they're surveys for academic research.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Thanks for the tips about that survey company Ada & Bach - I'll take a look at them, too! Chasing up Pinecone paid off as I got one through from them tonight.

Great news on that massive lump off your debt in the month - well done you! Chuffed to bits to hear you sounding so chipper - as Misty says it really does make me smile! As for the worn out slippers - well at least you know there's a market for them! :D:rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of lovely posts to catch up - thanks guys and welcome BachSoon!

jvr thank you for the heads up about the focus group. I have just this minute applied. I am a member of another focus group Take Part In Research but as yet I haven't done anything for them as the majority of their focus groups are held in Birmingham and I don't live anywhere near there!

ada yes I am on Prolific Academic thank you. But I had forgotten so need to check up on that one. I have had a cash out with them before but as they don't email regularly I always forget to check. That's another one to add to the list. I checked OnePoll the other day and am up to £27.55. Still a way to go but at least I've passed the half way mark.

I have asked for some new slippers for Christmas EH - I'll pop them on 3Bay in about 5 years time! Should be nice and ripe by then!:rotfl:

Misty did you apply to the focus group too? Just wondered if you had heard anything from them?

I had a huge list of things to do and accomplish today but despite trying my hardest I still haven't got everything done. For a start I haven't even written any Christmas cards yet! I told my Mum today I would write them today and post tomorrow and she informed me that the last posting day was Saturday.....

I didn't send one Christmas card last year - I just didn't have it in me, and it did go unnoticed by the relatives on OH's side! Ooh my name was mud! I just told them all they must be lost in the post. :rotfl: To be honest I just don't care. There are starving and desperately ill people in this world and some small-minded people get upset because a Christmas card hasn't been sent to them which will only be binned a few days later. Pah! Relatives!!!

I don't even display cards I get so I would be very happy not to receive any. I sound like a humbug don't I!

I'm having trouble with a couple of mystery shops I've applied for. I'm supposed to buy something particular online but I can't buy them! Not sure where that leaves me, but I'll guess they'll just get cancelled. I have 24 mystery shops to complete by the middle of this week.:eek: I do love a challenge. Fortunately most I can do sat on my backside. One is a meal and two are a bit more involved. I have to spend time in a local supermarket doing audits and building some display cabinet!:rotfl:

Tomorrow I have planned to see the MIL - she has been passing comments to OH that I haven't been to visit her for SUCH A LONG TIME. Well she could come here if she really wanted to see me. Comments have been made also about the lack of a Christmas card. Not sure why the OH can't sort it but there you go. Wonder what he did before I came along. So DS and I are going to stop by the cheapo card shop en route to MIL and buy the cheesiest card we can find which I will write and seal just before we get there. I might get one of those with glitter on that doesn't actually stay on. :rotfl:Talk about last minute.

After that I will do some tidying up, some mystery shopping, and then we have our mystery shop meal.

I've just seen the time so think I need to get off to bed. I'm seeing double!!

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend. Take care all xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    jvr wrote: »
    Hi Smolly

Love County Durham... have a friend up there who I don't get to see as much as I would like! Don't know why but I had it in my head you were down south.
    Well done on your debt totals you are doing so well and should be so proud. I have just signed up to a market research company that does focus groups and I am fingers cross getting on the one for car research (have to visit a car lot and fill in some questionnaires) but should be £100 in my pocket for doing it. Depending where you are in good old Yorkshire might be worth a look http://rocketresearch.co.uk/ they email through all sorts and if you fit the criteria can get on groups and most of them are about £40 to turn up for an hour and half

So do i lol thats where i am living at the moment

Stalker question which part of Co Durham are you in.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well done on the interest saving, that's fantastic.

Your post made me smile, hope you find a really glittery card :rotfl:
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    I'm so glad things are going well for you Smolly, how is CLL treating you? Sorry I haven't caught up sooner.

The thing about the glitter made me laugh! You absolutely must tell us what your MIL's reaction is! I didn't do cards either, I don't get the importance older people put on them. It must be a generational thing. DH did just send a present to his aunt and uncle with a card in it. We often forget about them until it's too late and then feel guilty because they have been very good to us over the years. I'm glad we were able to do something this time.

I just had a mystery shop phone call that lasted about 10 mins, I *think* it pays £10. They are so much nicer than filling out forms. Ebay hasn't been great, I've sold a few things here and there but overall I've been very disappointed. Surveys have been ok, they can get so tedious.

I did however earn £42 busking for an hour and a half on Saturday, I'm going to go back out next Sat as Xmas eve last year I made something like £67. All needed desperately for things like food and rent, but thrilled to have the money to pay for it and to be able to buy some Xmas treats for the kids. I'm looking forward to the new year where DH and I are going to start out with a fresh budget, which will include saving for a weekend away somewhere inexpensive! :D

It's great to see how much things have improved for you, well for all of us on here really! :j
    :happylove
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport