Where can I get the most for my car?

Options
My car has developed gearbox failure with an oil leak and its not economical to repair.

Annoyed slightly as I've just put new front brake pads on only 3 days ago so less than 80 miles use on them as told Wednesday I had enough time to get a new car and could use it for another month. Had just passed its MOT in April and had a full service at the same time.

Its a 2008 with 101,300 miles on the clock. Its undrivable so no chance of using as part exchange.

What can I reasonably expect to get for it bearing in mind the new pads, and that it could be used for spares? Anyone on here interested or point me somewhere that I get something for it?

Currently on my drive in Bracknell and also has 1/2 tank of petrol!

Thoughts/comments/advice please?

Ta

Comments

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have told us the age and mileage but not what car it is.

Front brake pads being nee makes no difference to value as they should be be transferred to another car and the pads are likely to only cost £20 new.

Best bet is eBay with accurate description listing all faults. It will sell for what it is worth, moat likely to somebody in the trade.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Wow. New pads.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    EEEEkkkk broken gearbox and oil leak.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    eBay or gumtree. Advertise as undrivable for spares only. Somebody might give you £50. Other than that a scrap man might take it off your hands but probably won't want to pay anything.

If it's a rare Ferrari or Bugatti you may get more for it. I suspect it isn't though.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    You have told us the age and mileage but not what car it is.

Front brake pads being nee makes no difference to value as they should be be transferred to another car and the pads are likely to only cost £20 new.

Best bet is eBay with accurate description listing all faults. It will sell for what it is worth, moat likely to somebody in the trade.

Why should the pads be transferred to another car? That's crazy.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you not pick a 'box up and have it swapped over?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Can you not pick a 'box up and have it swapped over?

+1

Surely a used box isnt going to be a fortune?
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    Options
    Why should the pads be transferred to another car? That's crazy.
    As should be clear from the context it was a typo and should say they should not be transferred to another car.

I blame windows 10 mobile it's rubbish and appears to have a mind if it's own.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    Options
    What can I reasonably expect to get for it bearing in mind the new pads,

£5.47, a packet of Quavers and a half eaten Mars bar
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My car has developed gearbox failure with an oil leak and its not economical to repair.
    It is always more economical to repair. Lets say it costs you £1000 to get the gearbox sorted. You have a car you know and know its history and how well it runs.

Lets say you sell it as it is with a knackered gearbox, get £1000 for it and end up buying another car around the same age for £2000-£2500. You've still ended up spending £1000 it would have cost to get the gearbox done but now you've bought an unknown and you may find out that it has some repairs needing doing in the near future your current car didn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure