A path out of the Jumble

Comments

• Jumblerina
    Jumblerina Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 19 September 2016 at 6:23PM
    Thanks LMSTM :) I know what you mean about it seeming like others have it a lot easier. It's funny thinking back to my teenage dreams - I've achieved some things I never thought possible, so I guess it works both ways :)
  • Sorry you are feeling unsettled. You are very aware of all the positive things in your life. I am amazed by £8.5 of debt you managed to pay off already and I find your approach to tackling debt and clutter inspirational. When we are unwell we feel vulnerable, but as you say it is temporary and you have that awareness to help you through. Life for me has turned out remarkably different to the life I envisaged. It has taken me time to adjust and in truth I am still adjusting. Your honesty is one of the reasons I enjoy your diary so much
    DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Thanks for your kind words DIA :) whenever I'm having a tough time, I always try and remind myself that it's only temporary. Then also remind myself of all the things I do have and what I should be thankful for :) xxx
  • Morning Diary,

I'm writing this from C@sta having just enjoyed a panini and a latte :) it did cost £7.60 and for some strange reason some biscotti fell into my bag :rotfl:

At times you need a little treat - I decided as its been almost 2 months since I came in all by myself to sit with a coffee and my book, why the heck not! I got a lift with my OH this morning for my Drs appointment so saved on some bus fare.

Today will be a spend day, likely low spend day (other than the aforementioned coffee and panini). I need to pick up some bread, milk and a few essentials.

Feeling a little shaky on my legs today, so if I'm still feeling a wobbly after my coffee I'll get a taxi home. This happens every now and again, when I'm ill it makes my long term condition worse and walking is a little tough. Nothing some rest and my physio exercises won't fix :)

My plan for today is to take it steady, focus on a little light tidying and cooking dinner for this evening. My shredder is on the blink, it keeps stopping and turning itself off! It is pretty old and I do put it through its paces every few months :rotfl: so may have to consider getting a new one. I'll try it again when I get home and see if I can make a dent in the shredding mountain :)

Only 3 days to payday :T

Hope you're all having a wonderful day

Jumblerina xxx
  • So pleased to hear you are taking time out for a little treat. Enjoy!
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Having managed to resurrect the shredder, it's on the blink again! Ah well, may take a little longer than I anticipated to conquer the shredding mountain.

Managed to sell some items from my de-cluttering efforts and have £40 to help pay off my credit cards :) there are a few more things to sell but other than that it will be good old fashioned budgeting that helps me pay off those cards!

Writing everything down this month has been an eye opener, with the unexpected Dentist and drain unblocking costs I need to factor in an amount each month for an emergency fund. I've got my London trip coming up in November and of course Christmas - so need to get my act together!

With pay day looming, my thoughts are going to next months budget and this month it needs to be spot on :) I also need to get on top of cleaning the house, things have kinda fell by the wayside with me feeling grotty. I'm going to have a big clean tomorrow to get back on top of it, having a puppy has certainly added to my chores list. I wouldn't swap him for the world, the puppy cuddles are definitely worth the extra cleaning :)

Hope you're all having a lovely evening

Jumblerina xxx
  • Jumblerina
    Jumblerina Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 17 January 2022 at 1:02PM
    Morning Diary,

Woke up feeling like today was going to be a planning, tidying and organising day :) I always feel better when my house is tidy and I've got a plan.

This morning I'll be doing a budget review of September to help me move into October with the right mindset. My pay day is the 24th, so each month starts a little early in our house :) if it works I might keep it up, in a similar style to my weekly reviews, they're good at keeping me on track :D

I already know an emergency fund is needed and after starting to read Dolly Rockers diary, I've been thinking about a holiday fund too :) yes, debt freedom may take a little longer if I allow for emergency and holiday funds. Yet it's not having a savings plan of any kind that got me here, so thinking about a regular amount for those things that come up, such as Christmas, birthdays, dentist trips, holidays.

I'm a firm believer in having things to look forward to in life, I've learnt before if I'm too strict - I just end up throwing the towel in! I've done this with weight loss as well too, hmm starting to see a pattern here :rotfl:

I'm going to keep an eye out for free events/activities in my city too, we went to a fab free art gallery on Saturday and I really enjoyed it :) having fun and making memories doesn't always have to come with a hefty price tag.

I also need to finalise hotels and train tickets for our London trip in November :j I'm so excited to be going, just need to make sure I'm on the right track budget wise.

Hope you all have a lovely day

Jumblerina xxx
  • Looking forward to the monthly review. Good idea :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • I've decided to do a review of this months budget to help me see where things have gone well and where I need to make changes. I'm hoping this will help me keep on track and catch bad habits before they start to impact my quest for debt freedom.

I've been using the spreadsheet that helped me pay off £8.5k in a year and it's worked well for this month, I'm going to make a few changes for next month to give me greater visibility of exactly what I'm spending my personal allowance on.

Overall budget for September: £2761
    Actual spend for September: £3047.51 (- £286.51 :eek:)

Food Spends

Budget: £275
    Actual: £291.55 (-£16.55)

I've done a few top up shops this month for bread, milk etc. which I don't normally do, yet these have helped us to make our own lunches and not spend £3-5/day each. At the start of the month I spent £75 on a weekly shop while I was still getting in the zone on budgeting and I think that's the biggest impact.

Travel

Budget: £110
    Actual: £84.51 (+£25.49)

Yay – somewhere I've come in under budget :) I've started to take the bus where I can and when my bus pass comes through that will really help with costs there. Next month I'll just keep focusing on taking the bus.

Personal Spending

Budget: £150
    Actual: £352.13 (-£202.13 :eek: :eek:)

This is where I'm most over budget, mainly due to unexpected dental costs (£137.70), forgotten subscriptions (£9.99) and eating out/takeaways (£86.98). There's a few things I can do to keep on track with this;

1. Review all my subscriptions to make sure there aren't any surprises in future
    2. Record my eating out/takeaway budget on my spreadsheet separately and keep to budget :)
    3. Start a savings plan for dentist/opticians/prescriptions - anything I don't spend can be put towards my debt re-payment.

Household bills

Budget: £649
    Actual: £641.01 (-£7.99)

These costs tend to be pretty static, the only variable tends to be the home phone costs if we need to use it. We mainly use our mobiles, apart from 0845 numbers etc.

Puppy Costs

Budget: £218
    Actual: £229 (-£11)

Here I forgot to budget for his booster shots (£16.77) and some shampoo/balm for his dry skin (£21.98). I was hoping to come under budget this month as I saved £80 on his dog walker due to her being on holiday. Need to budget for his regular expenses such as worming tablets, food etc as he's eating much more now at almost 5 months.

Debt Payments

Budget: £1250
    Actual: £1332.97 (-£82.97)

I've paid a little more this month and the rest has gone in my savings to pay off balances as they get to the end of the 0% deal. My budget already includes over-payments on all my cards, when I get my act together with my budget, any surplus each month will go into my online saver to pay off the cards.

Other costs

My mobile phone bill has been higher for the last 2 months due to a mistake by @2, I'm hoping it will be all sorted when my bill comes on 4 October - when I'm due a big credit :) this will help pay for my bills for a couple of months!

Extra costs for unblocking the drains, was very, very reasonable at £25 and shows the importance of an emergency fund.

Need to be mindful of this as I start to put together my budget for October.

Jumblerina xxx
  • Hi Jumble, you're doing amazingly well! I would definitely say get some emergency and holiday funds on the go. An emergency fund gives you peace of mind for when the unexpected comes up (as it always does) and having a holiday to look forward to just keeps you going :) I find that saving into these two funds stops me from getting so frustrated with the debt busting as I can see my 'wealth' increasing as the debts are decreasing. My wealth.... hahaha! :rotfl:
    If you can dream it, you can do it - Walt Disney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport