Avios Points Boosting guide discussion

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 27 February 2012 at 2:48PM in Flights, currency & car hire
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all, we've written a new Avios Points Boosting guide to help you earn flights (plus taxes) worldwide and max points' value when redeeming.

How did you find the info? Do you have any other ways to boost your points? What are your top ways to spend Avios points?

Thanks
for your help!

MSE Jenny

Comments

• Hi Jenny

The APB (Avios Points Boosting) guide is brilliant and insightful, especially how the different credit card options are available to collect points. I started collecting Airmiles just over 2 year ago with the Lloyds DUO cards. Throwing all my purchases on to the Amex or Master Card. Then for some unknown reason Lloyds decided to close all my bank accounts, give me back my savings back and withdraw the DUO cards. Since then I've been using a Tesco Credit card and relying on e-Rewards to get points.

Recently I learnt of combining my Avios accounts and was able to transfer my BA Executive club Avios points to my Avios account and having just discovered that it is beneficial to use the BA credit card to get Avios points I assume I can transfer them across to Avios for Eurostar tickets and hotels as and when required without issues.

Do you know if the option to combine will always be present or is it something that could be taken away later?

Hitesh27
  • just tried to buy Avios miles via BA website. cost has already increased to £31 + 250 bonus
  • boobies
    boobies Posts: 283 Forumite
    dgb17 wrote: »
    just tried to buy Avios miles via BA website. cost has already increased to £31 + 250 bonus

They are still £20 through the Avios site (but no bonus), AFAIK they have been £31 through BA for some time now.

How many do you need? There is probably a far more efficient way of getting the miles.
  • cassis
    cassis Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fantastic guide on boosting Avios, well done to everyone involved. But does anyone know if the "Shell 6000 bonus Avios" tip applies to the BA Exec. Club Avios scheme, or just to the standard Avios scheme?

I've been a member of the BA version for a couple of months now. I was pleased the Tesco Clubcard bonus 400pts applied to it as well as the standard Avios scheme.

But because I've recently converted Clubcard points to Avios, I don't think I will be able to earn the bonus 6000 Avios. (unless I open a parallel "regular" Avios account and use it?)

It's confusing having similar but different schemes...!

I know I can transfer points between regular and BA Avios accounts - but be warned, only if they're individual acconuts. Once you merge into a family account, its not possible (think you can un-merge, transfer, then re-merge however)
  • MSE_Jenny
    edited 29 February 2012 at 1:49PM
    dgb17 wrote: »
    just tried to buy Avios miles via BA website. cost has already increased to £31 + 250 bonus

The main Avios scheme’s points prices are rising to match BA Exec Club’s higher prices.

If you buy Avios points today via the main Avios site, you can still move them over to your BA Exec account. See full details on Avios site.

But yes, the points aren't cheap, even at £20. So only do this if you need to travel soon and don't have time to earn miles. 1,000 airmiles are typically only worth £8-£10 (more if you spend them on business-class or are taking a free companion).
  • cassis
    cassis Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    boobies wrote: »
    They are still £20 through the Avios site (but no bonus), AFAIK they have been £31 through BA for some time now.

How many do you need? There is probably a far more efficient way of getting the miles.

Yes, they've been that price on BA Exec. Club Avios for some time. The MSE guide explains that the "regular" Avios scheme is the route to go to buy Avios today, because the regular Avios prices jump up to match the BA pricing structure tomorrow.

HOWEVER that's not the whole story. Today is the last day of the BA Exec. Club scheme's 25% bonus points offer until midnight tonight.

The BA pricing structure is tiered (the more you buy, the cheaper the unit price), unlike the current regular price list (1.5p / Avios for all tiers execpt the bottom, where its 2p/Avios).

If buying today, up to 6000 Avios its cheapest to use the "regular" scheme. If above 6000 (base points), the unit cost dips under 1.5p/Avios on the BA Exec Club scheme where it becomes cheaper.

Confusing or what?!
  • boobies
    boobies Posts: 283 Forumite
    cassis wrote: »
    Yes, they've been that price on BA Exec. Club Avios for some time. The MSE guide explains that the "regular" Avios scheme is the route to go to buy Avios today, because the regular Avios prices jump up to match the BA pricing structure tomorrow.

HOWEVER that's not the whole story. Today is the last day of the BA Exec. Club scheme's 25% bonus points offer until midnight tonight.

The BA pricing structure is tiered (the more you buy, the cheaper the unit price), unlike the current regular price list (1.5p / Avios for all tiers execpt the bottom, where its 2p/Avios).

If buying today, up to 6000 Avios its cheapest to use the "regular" scheme. If above 6000 (base points), the unit cost dips under 1.5p/Avios on the BA Exec Club scheme where it becomes cheaper.

Confusing or what?!

The BA pricing structure is not tiered per se, the miles are the same price but the admin charge is fixed, so the more you buy the less of an impact that charge has.

I really would not recommend buying miles unless they are needed urgently. There are plenty of other ways to get them for little or no cost.
  • MSE_Jenny

Confusing or what?!

Thanks, I've added the 25% offer to the guide.
  • MSE_Jenny
    But does anyone know if the "Shell 6000 bonus Avios" tip applies to the BA Exec. Club Avios scheme, or just to the standard Avios scheme?

I've been a member of the BA version for a couple of months now. I was pleased the Tesco Clubcard bonus 400pts applied to it as well as the standard Avios scheme.

But because I've recently converted Clubcard points to Avios, I don't think I will be able to earn the bonus 6000 Avios. (unless I open a parallel "regular" Avios account and use it?)

Hi cassis

Thanks for the feedback :)The 2,000 bonus points are only available via the main Avios scheme.

Just asked the press office and it said if you’ve already exchanged a Tesco Clubcard voucher for BA Exec Avios, but not for the main Avios scheme, you can still get the first-time collector bonus. Have added to the guide.

You would need to set up a new main Avios scheme account. Just be sure to collect at least one Avios point though it before you exchange the Tesco voucher or you won’t be eligible to get the 2,000 bonus points. The quickest way is probably just to buy something you were buying anyway via the e-shop.
  • cuddykid
    cuddykid Posts: 127 Forumite
    This avios stuff is a real polava! But, thanks for the guide :)

Just a quick question -

I've transferred some of my BA "avios" points into my new main avios account (just opened) - does that mean that I have just earnt points so I'm eligible for the 2000 bonus points?

I guess it's not that easy :P If not, surely it will take a while for the points to enter my account after I use the e-shop (like quidco takes forever!) - so, by the time my points arrive in my avios account, the 400 bonus (for every £2.50 club card exchanged) will no longer be on.

Could someone shed some light on this?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family