PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long did you/will you spend in your first home?

Comments

• basil92
    basil92 Posts: 12,510
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lived in it for 25 years...

Shared it for 3 years, rented it for 10 years, then bought and owned it for the remaining 12...

..it never ever was 'home' though!!!
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself :cool:

Chopper98 wrote: »
    Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
  • tim9966
    tim9966 Posts: 494
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just over 10 years for me, and still living in it. I'm looking to move as soon as I can as I want more space, and a garage.
  • 5 years in 1st flat. 4 years in next house.
    Moved back to Yorkshire from London, house didn't sell so had tenants in it for 3 years, then sold it. Lived in tiny rental house for 4 years during not selling it/letting it out - was meant to have been a six month stop gap whilst our house sold. Now live in our hopefully forever family house and have been here two and a half years
  • Barter
    Barter Posts: 593
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Over 44 years, but think there'll be a move before it gets to 46!
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I got my 1st flat in 1997, a 1 bed flat and lived there till 2005 - it had a nice central location but was a bit dated (1980's build I think) and started attracting dubious tenants (I had a tenant dealing drugs from window of the ground floor flat below!) Decided to go with a new build 2 bed in 2005 and been there since. Location still very good, about 300 yards from the 1st flat. Probably been too long in this town (a very rural county town with not much going on) but anywhere more interesting will be way out of my price range.
  • Nearly 9 years...havnt left just yet

We bought as boyfriend/girlfriend and are now married with 2 very young children. We have enough space here, but financially we are ready to move up a little. I don't see this as being our final move either but we're expecting to spend 10+ years in the next house. :)
  • carguy143
    carguy143 Posts: 124
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I bought my first house in July 2015. It's in the middle of a "new town", so the area is full of lots of greenery and wide, open spaces, no traffic lights in the whole town and a good network of pavements so I can walk anywhere without having to walk along noisy, busy roads.

The house itself is a 1965 ex council, 3 bedroom terrace measuring almost 1000 sq feet complete with downstairs toilet, utility room, walk in wardrobe in the main bedroom etc. It was rewired, had a new boiler, insulation etc within the last 8 years. I think it's a B rated house for efficiency. So for the two of us it ticks all the boxes and I don't plan on moving anywhere else in the UK. Best of all it only cost us £80k!
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    carguy143 wrote: »
    I bought my first house in July 2015. It's in the middle of a "new town", so the area is full of lots of greenery and wide, open spaces, no traffic lights in the whole town .....

How do you cross the road if there are no traffic lights in the whole town?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    We haven't bought yet so maybe I shouldn't be answering, but my plan when we do buy (later 2017/early 2018 is the target) is to find somewhere that we could be happy in for 10+ years. We've got 2 kids already so we'll be looking for a family home rather than a typical starter home, and I've no interest in moving about every few years. I'm looking forward to finally feeling settled and getting some stability!
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Been in our first home 1 year and 3 months. I'd never moved home before, had been in my parents' house since birth, so the idea of buying just one home was something I was looking for, didn't like the idea of moving from one to the next, to the next. Saved up and got a 3 bed in case our family extends some day.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure