Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• ScoobyZ
    ScoobyZ Posts: 487 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Widelats wrote: »
    I will soon be making the call to VM = currently paying 40 quid for a phone talk weekends that i have never used even once, and the fibre 50 which i use every day and absolutely love it.

I will first tell them to take the phone back, so if i do would they then drop the price of my broadband as well ?? Or, would they likely only drop the phone and say the fibre 50 is staying at full price ?? I would like to know what to expect when i call them, and what to say, i would also take their vivid 100 at a push as well but i do not want to pay the price they are asking for it.

Been with Virgin almost 12 months, its my first contract so i doubt loyalty would be anything i could haggle with, thanks if someone could give me suggestions what to say to them or a better deal that existing customers can get on the fibre broadband on its own.

Ask to leave. Say you can get cheaper at Sky etc (check their latest price and quote it).

Wait 4 days for them to call back.

Get phone and broadband for around £20 for 50-70mb or what I got 150mb Phone and new modem/router for £25 a month.

Some people have got broadband only for less than £20.
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    ScoobyZ wrote: »
    Ask to leave. Say you can get cheaper at Sky etc (check their latest price and quote it).

Wait 4 days for them to call back.

Get phone and broadband for around £20 for 50-70mb or what I got 150mb Phone and new modem/router for £25 a month.

Some people have got broadband only for less than £20.

I did try sky before virgin, but honestly the sky rep told me i would be getting around 3mbps speeds :eek: he checked it too and said it was because i am so close to the tower, so it MUST be fibre that i get, it can not be regular broadband.

Thanks for the info i will quote them the sky fibre price alone, and wait for the 4 days to see if they will call back and offer me a better deal.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You only have to be as honest as they are!

They won't know what your line speed will be on ASDL.

They always say theirs is quicker anyway (which is it), just tell them speed isn't important to you as only use it for online shopping.

Tell them price is important
  • Smart_Mart
    Smart_Mart Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Smart_Mart wrote: »
    Well after promising to make the call that day, I finally got round to doing it just then. Another large bill forced me to call them... as said previously, my bill goes up each month seemingly without any improvement in service.

Last day with VM, after a decade or more, will be 24th February 2017.

I ended up getting a phone call from them earlier this week. Offered me what I had before for £92, a saving of £21 a month which wasn't really as good as I was hoping. Told him I wasn't interested, he went off to speak to the operations manager and came back to offer me a final price of £77 a month which I accepted.

I could possibly have gone a little lower but given the broadband is brilliant here and I'd happily pay a few quid extra NOT to change, I'm pleasantly happy to get £36 a month knocked off my bill.
  • I took out the contract via uswitch last year in my wife's name- BB and landline for £22. Paid the line rental up front and with the £50 code that was available with quidco i think it worked out at around £16 for the both. I don't use a landline and the contract had been in my name for the previous 9 years but Virgin were happy to let me go.

Anyway when i gave my notice on 12 Jan they wouldn't budge. Got a phone back the next day and the best offered was £18 for 50MB BB only. I don't need the landline but i felt he could go lower. The rep didn't budge and said he'd put a note on the account about the offer.

What do people think is a reasonable price for BB only. I was thinking around £15 pm.

Do you think i should give them a call?
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    There was an offer a few weeks ago on uswitch (for new customers) for BB only for £18

To me that sounds reasonable.

I doubt they will bother to call you back with any other deals.

Just make sure its £18 for the duration of the contract.
  • Marcio45
    Marcio45 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Hi del boy,
    I believe that is as low as they will get. I tried in the past and the lowest they went was £19. If you compare with fibre (needing a phone line) it will be much more expensive. I would say you got a good deal. Hopefully they will still offer it to you if you change your mind.
  • nickc84
    nickc84 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Called VM to cancel service last week. Not had any calls though offering a come back deal, just a text saying they are sending me a box to put my V box back in?
  • Called to give my 30 days notice of cancellation on Sunday and received a call from retentions this evening.

Agreed the following:-

Fun TV (L)
    100mb Broadband
    Talk More Evenings and Weekends Phone
    Telephone Line Rental
    Free Installation of V6 box

£38 per month for 12 months - I'm happy with that :D
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Didnt get a good deal at the end of my contract, therefore stayed for 1 month. The cost jumped up to £41 per month (£19 line rental and £22 for broadband). Called Virgin, told them i was unhappy with this as new customers were paying £25 for 50MB via USwitch.

Was offered an upgrade to 70MB for £24 per month. A good deal, but probably not the best deal if i push to cancel. Pushed them for a "account credit" however they returned saying they had already reduced it by £10 per month therefore meaning it was actually £34 per month.

I did not get chance to discuss Line Rental Saver on the £24 per moth deal. I think it could be £5 for Broadband, and £19 for line rental. If i did pay the £196 up front, it would equate to £21.34 per month.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback