Mortgage Free Mini-Goals

Options
So, I've decided that I want to make a concerted effort to reducing our mortgage so that we finish our term well before the initial end date of April 2041. Unfortunately, I haven't quite set a fixed date in mind I just know that I want to pay it off early.

A bit of backstory for you all. My husband and I bought our first home together in April 2011. We initially had a mortgage for £108K. 2 years later when our fixed term came to an end we wanted to free up some money so that we could do some renovations on the house - extend the bathroom and convert the garage. We had the house revalued as £155K which allowed us to remortgage for £116K, giving us £10K for the renovations.

Life tootled on and I fixed out mortgage again at the end of the 2 year fixed period in April 2015 for 5 years. Annoyingly, we were just over the 75% LTV ratio when I remortgaged and within a few months we had dropped below it and could have got a cheaper rate and saved ourselves about £100 a month. But, I didn't know this at the time and hindsight is 20/20.

After our wedding last year DH's dad came along one day out of the blue and said he wanted to give DH an advance on his inheritance. Well, not just an advance but his actual inheritance early. To the tune of £100K!! :eek::eek: This actually rendered me speechless. Not something that happens very often.
As our mortgage was over this amount we decided not to put it all down onto the mortgage. Whether this was the right or wrong thing to do...well, people will have their own opinions. We decided to pay off our debts and put £10K down as a lump sum on the mortgage and invest/save the rest.
Oh and we both took £1000 each to do what we wish with. He spent his on a titanium frame and built a new road bike. I invested some of mine in Funding Circle, bought a new iPhone after buying myself out of my mobile contract and have the rest in a savings account. This is why I'm in charge of the household finances :rotfl:

Anyway....we now have a mortgage below £100K and when the statement came through at the end of December I was so excited! This seemed to me like a massive milestone and it got me thinking.
How much more could I do? How much money could I get out of my husband each month without him complaining too much? Where can I squeeze some money and put it towards the mortgage and bring it down? The fact that we shaved off nearly 5 years on the length of the term really excited me. How much more could I take off if we made regular over-payments?
Unfortunately we can only make lump-sum over-payments of £500+ on our mortgage. So, my plan is to save the money up and make either one or two lump-sum payments each year. This year I want to pay a minimum of £1,000 extra.

I've also just realised that this post is loooong and quite possibly very boring to you all. So, for now I will leave it at this and keep updating as I go along. Also, my cat has decided to sit on my arm as I'm typing and this isn't particularly conducive to typing.
So, hopefully I'll get a few followers on this journey of mine. If not, at least I've got somewhere for me to put my random and not-so-random ramblings.

Comments

• mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Just a quick one before I turn in for the night.
    Had a thought as I'm lying in bed that I could take a two pronged approach and tackle another issue I've got at the moment - lack of motivation to exercise. Each time I intend to go the gym and don't go I have to put £5 into my mortgage O/P fund. Just to add some incentive I'm going to backdate it to include this week. So, that means that seeing as I didn't go the gym or for a run yesterday or today I need to transfer £10. This should flippin' well get me in the gym tomorrow!
    Night all x
  • Petal88
    Petal88 Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't want to read and run so welcome and best of luck mrs p! A way to find areas where you can get the money to stretch further is to run an SOA and see exactly where you spend your money. If you're brave you could even post it on here for MSErs to give advice on where cuts can be made.

Have you done the obvious bits like switching energy suppliers, bank accounts etc? My big money pit is food :D I find myself either ignoring my packed lunches and buying out instead or just splurging in general when grocery shopping...
    Mortgage Oct '20: £615k
    Mortgage Feb '24: 590k
    Debt Feb'24: £35,501.54
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Good luck on your journey from another new poster. It soon gets addictive!
  • dark^knight
    Options
    Hello mrsp, welcome to mfw and all the best with your mission.

We are also trying pay off 100k mortgage, so will follow your journey with interest.
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 February 2016 at 11:14AM
    Options
    A huge welcome Mrs P, I became a Mrs P in 1988 :rotfl::rotfl:

At the end of they day clearing your debts has enabled you start clean free of that. We inherited a smaller sum a couple of years ago and paid a second mortgage off plus bought a car and put some money away for our DD's post grad course.

Life is not an ideal world and you do have to live, a car was important to us because we take cheap holidays in a towing caravan and we live 5 miles from the nearest village, very essential and I considered it a wise use of money

Good Luck
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • TwentySomethingGirl
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

I like the idea of "paying" if you don't go to the gym, might have to adopt that idea for myself and DH.

Best of luck with it all

TSG
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000 - £140500 JUL19 Moved house Oct19 £230000 £230400 DEC20
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the addictive world.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • mrsp1987
    Options
    Petal88 wrote: »
    Didn't want to read and run so welcome and best of luck mrs p! A way to find areas where you can get the money to stretch further is to run an SOA and see exactly where you spend your money. If you're brave you could even post it on here for MSErs to give advice on where cuts can be made.

Have you done the obvious bits like switching energy suppliers, bank accounts etc? My big money pit is food :D I find myself either ignoring my packed lunches and buying out instead or just splurging in general when grocery shopping...

Hi Petal,
    I do intend to do a SOA and post it up but I want to spend some quality time on it so that it's actually accurate. If I'm going to do it I want to do it right, so I know how I'll be spending this weekend :rotfl:
    I am a big fan of price comparisons and I've just switched my G&E using the CEC back to BGas which will save us another £10 a month. I'm just about to complete my current account switch to TSB on Monday and will be earning interest each month and after speaking to hubby the other day we've started the switch process on our joint account to the Santander 123 account. Once we put £20K in it we should be able to get about £670 a year interest too.
    I'm going to start Tilly Tidying as well.
    I just need to make sure that I don't get too obsessed and forget to look after myself and start feeling guilty about spending money on me!
    I'm really looking forward to this and I'm so pleased people are actually interested in my journey. Right I desperately need to go for a run before I lose my motivation and have to pay myself another fiver!!
  • mrsp1987
    Options
    Had a nice lazy day today. Well I say lazy but I actually went out and did a 2 and a bit mile run in a local town park which is not a flat route. After I came back I had a nice lazy day and am just pootling about looking at my finances.
    I've downloaded that amazing spreadsheet that Locoblade created and I've put my info into that. Looking forward to being able to make some over payments and calculate how much I'm saving in interest and how many months I'm knocking off the term.
    I've also done my SOA. I must admit I think some of it is a bit vague. A lot of the time I pay things like house and car insurance in one go so I've just divided the total figure by 12 to get a monthly amount. Groceries and clothing and things like that I honestly have no idea! So, I might do one of my own and check it against this one just to get a feel for the accuracy. If I have the time and inclination I might go through my bank statements and start cross referencing payments but I think I'll wait for the next time I get insomnia to do that. It's always good to have something waiting up your sleeve for when that happens.
    Speaking of insomnia did you know that after about 1am on Dave they stop showing adverts? It makes watching QI much more viewer friendly.

Anyway back on topic. Here is a copy of my SOA:
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 935
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 980
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 200
    Total monthly income.................... 2115

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 527
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 136
    Electricity............................. 44
    Gas..................................... 35
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 23
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 20
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 120
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 300
    Clothing................................ 60
    Petrol/diesel........................... 60
    Road tax................................ 12.5
    Car Insurance........................... 21
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 10
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10.4
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 22.8
    Buildings insurance..................... 21
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 54
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 20
    Holiday................................. 100
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1678.82

Assets

Cash.................................... 35000
    House value (Gross)..................... 170000
    Shares and bonds........................ 20000
    Car(s).................................. 4500
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 229500

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 99864....(527)......3.19
    Total secured & HP debts...... 99864.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,115
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,678.82
    Available for debt repayments........... 436.18
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 436.18

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 229,500
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -99,864
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -0
    Net Assets.............................. 129,636

Created using the SOA calculator at https://www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using Firefox browser.

It's a bit of a weird one for me as me and my hubby keep our finances separate and pay an equal amount into the joint account which is where all of the joint bills come out of. We also have that extra £200 a month go in there which freed up £100 each. This is rental income from a house hubby bought with an inheritance from his grandmother via his mother (long story, I'll tell you in another post one day).
    So, really I have no idea what he spends his money on. I just know that I'm better with money than he is, so this SOA is probably a rough guesstimate at best with regards to some areas.
    We paid off all our debts when we got the inheritance last year and have the rest in ISAs. Mine is in cash and he has a S&S one. When the new tax year starts in April we'll be able to add more to these with the new allowance. Chances are when I get to April I'll do another SOA as this year my earnings are all over the place due to changing jobs and not yet having received my P45 so I'm being taxed at BR at the moment.
  • mrsp1987
    Options
    Thinking about it I should probably add on DH rental property as an asset shouldn't I? Eh, it can wait.
    Flipping heck. Looking at it on paper we seem pretty well off!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure