Cancelling Vigin Media and partner signing up - Fraud?

Options
2»

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    You would not be breaking any rules by taking a new contract, but as the household is considered to be the customer (though one person takes responsibility) you are not a new customer so do not qualify for the price reduction.

That must really suck for people who move into a house if the previous occupiers had Virgin.

They can never qualify for special offers...

:think: :doh:

:p
    ====
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    That must really suck for people who move into a house if the previous occupiers had Virgin.

They can never qualify for special offers...
    Clearly, the rule only applies to households which have not moved but merely cancelled.

Regardless, in my experience, customers who cancel are offered deals which very often exceed those given to new customers so there really is no reason to tell such lies in order to get a good deal.
  • d123
    Options
    Clearly, the rule only applies to households which have not moved but merely cancelled.

When the "new" customer has a different name, d.o.b and bank details how would Virgin make this distinction to an actual new customer?
    ====
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    When the "new" customer has a different name, d.o.b and bank details how would Virgin make this distinction to an actual new customer?

The new customer has the same surname as the old one?
  • d123
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    The new customer has the same surname as the old one?

I haven't seen anything from the OP to say they do in fact share the same surname, and even then, unless it's an uncommon surname not really indicative of anything.
    ====
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As I said, it really doesn't matter. Retention deals are often superior to New Customer deals.

All the customer has to do is cancel and deals to stay will be forthcoming anyhow.

Why be in any way deceitful when it isn't even necessary?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 August 2017 at 8:04AM
    Options
    Although Sky and not Virgin, a friend had Sky TV at home in the Mrs name, and Sky TV in their holiday home in the Mr name ( but same surname)...both out of any minimum term, new customer promotion at the time was a 32" Samsung TV , he said they were going to cancel both, then re-order as 'new customers' but the Mr at home, and the Mrs at the holiday home, I was very sceptical , and said surely Sky wouldn't go for something so obviously contrived, but I was wrong , they got 2 TV's out of them effectively for 'free' ( as well as new set top boxes) and what's more , they arranged it with one of those Sky stalls you see in shopping centres, the 'salesman' probably on commission couldn't care less, and signed both addresses up after the 'cancellations' we're on file

As far as the OP and Virgin, I recon the customer service rep was probably going off script a little, or if 'policy' , it's in unenforceable, people must cancel Virgin every day, and 'new' customers 'takeover' existing Virgin connections every day, I doubt if they even care if the outgoing and incoming customers are related.
    What if it's a genuine home mover but both the outgoing and incoming people are called 'Smith' , 'Jones' or 'White' or any other quite common surnames, and in the OP's case the surnames are not even the same .
    The only downside I can see is there may be a short period of no service between the cancellation of the existing service, and an install date of the 'new' service, obviously if a retention deal is equivalent to new customer deal, why bother , but if it isn't, then why not ?
  • skot4th
    skot4th Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    To wrap things up, the detentions team refused me a deal similar or better to new customers so I put in the cancellation for 28 days. 7 days prior to disconnection I got a call from the outbound team who increased my I Tierney speed and undercut existing prices.

Top tip. No matter what they offer wait for the cancellation team to call you.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    skot4th wrote: »
    the detentions team

Reminds me of school:)

If it was me I would play them at their own game and move to Sky for a year if they did not give me what I want.

New and returning Virgin customers can save up to £450 in the first year of their contract! I am sure that was what they were offering me on the last leaflet I got from them.
  • skot4th
    skot4th Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Terry98 wrote: »
    Reminds me of school:)

If it was me I would play them at their own game and move to Sky for a year if they did not give me what I want.

New and returning Virgin customers can save up to £450 in the first year of their contract! I am sure that was what they were offering me on the last leaflet I got from them.

Typing on a phone :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport