are cyclists suppose to stop for cars here?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5110737,-0.0536656,3a,75y,185.48h,61.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCjg0vOjMtTIeRhZvmhEoBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm drive through here every so often, from north to west. you can clearly see the cycle lane and the joining traffic have give way markings but it never ceases to amaze me that cars always stop for the cycles and have to wait for a gap before proceeding.

Out of curiosity what would happen if i just carried on driving at my 20mph speed and a cyclist did not stop on the give way and crashed into me?

Comments

• seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    driving southbound sutton street joining cable street.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5110737,-0.0536656,3a,75y,185.48h,61.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCjg0vOjMtTIeRhZvmhEoBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm drive through here every so often, from north to west. you can clearly see the cycle lane and the joining traffic have give way markings but it never ceases to amaze me that cars always stop for the cycles and have to wait for a gap before proceeding.

Out of curiosity what would happen if i just carried on driving at my 20mph speed and a cyclist did not stop on the give way and crashed into me?

They'd fall off.
  • seatbeltnoob
    liability wise.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    liability wise.

You have priority: they must give way.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    You have priority: they must give way.

If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way; you would be crossing a cycle lane, treat it like a crossroads.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It's a continuous Cycle Lane, so must be treated as any other junction. Since vehicle traffic on Cable Street has priority over vehicle traffic joining from Sutton Street, cyclists in the Cable Street cycle lane, have the same priority as Vehicles on Cable Street.

Which means that the answer to your question is: you would stand a good chance of being prosecuted.

(Takes deep breath, stands back to wait for the inevitable appearance of dissenting"experts")
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Sutton St joinining Cable st? It obvious you need to give way. The cycle lane is on Cable st so you are the one coming from the side road. Its basic stuff for any driver.
  • seatbeltnoob
    bris wrote: »
    Sutton St joinining Cable st? It obvious you need to give way. The cycle lane is on Cable st so you are the one coming from the side road. Its basic stuff for any driver.

have you seen the road markings? it's clear that the markings were designed for sutton street traffic to merge right into cable street. in fact the cable street has to stop and give way to sutton street joiners.

All other traffic have give way markings on their path
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way; you would be crossing a cycle lane, treat it like a crossroads.

No. The cycle lane on Cable Street has a give-way line. If a cyclist crosses the line such that you have to alter your course or speed then he commits an offence. He can never have priority.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Like any other hazard you have to be aware and slow down and prepare to stop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure