USA- Hiring a car in USA (Budget.co.uk/com) - Is insurance included?

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    photome wrote: »

Even if they are cheaper?

They rarely if ever are, as you can see in the difference in price of my posted quotes and what you can find via broker.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    They rarely if ever are, as you can see in the difference in price of my posted quotes and what you can find via broker.

Different to my experience, I have never found booking direct to be cheaper.

Would be good to know the exact dates the OP is looking at
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 7:19PM
    photome wrote: »
    Different to my experience, I have never found booking direct to be cheaper.

Would be good to know the exact dates the OP is looking at

For one of my holiday parts next year
    Alamo car via Alamo.co.uk £290.90
    Alamo car via Alamo.co.uk linked via Quidco £257.17 (not inc cashback)
    Alamo car via Alamo Brits £257.17 incl free extra driver.
    Alamo car via Expedia, via Quidco £211 (not inc cash back)

Identical details, same vehicle. Alamo car via broker approx £80 cheaper than Alamo direct same level of insurance cover provided)
  • NiftyDigits
    For one of my holiday parts next year
    Alamo car via Alamo.co.uk £290.90
    Alamo car via Alamo.co.uk linked via Quidco £257.17 (not inc cashback)
    Alamo car via Alamo Brits £257.17 incl free extra driver.
    Alamo car via Expedia, via Quidco £211 (not inc cash back)

Identical details, same vehicle. Alamo car via broker approx £80 cheaper than Alamo direct same level of insurance cover provided)

I used Nov 1st to Dec 13th for my illustration. See if you can find cheaper via a broker.

You can choose your own dates if you like.

I never use brokers.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Forumite

I never use brokers.

I prefer to explore all options and then book via whoever offers the better value.

Dismissing one option out of hand isn't my way ;)
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    For most of my rentals I use Autoeurope, they just come out the most competitive for my itineraries. I have had a go and came up with £603 for compact or £610 for intermediate and used 1/29 March. The OP did not give dates and I don't know why I chose these but the dates could an important factor on the pricing, i.e over Christmas Easter or other holidays. Results were using Autoeurope and Thrifty came out cheapest. If the OP wants sat nav or added window, breakdown, key cover etc that is usually extra. For a rental of that period I would prepurchase an annual policy in the UK for the extras plus use a smart phone as satnav. The Three all you can eat sim is great for travelling to the US for about £20 a month for a rolling contract.

For the 42 day rental I have used 1/3 to 11/4. Prices for Compact and Intermediate coming out at £876 and £885 with insurances and zero excess, again with Thrifty through Autoeurope.

As suggested booking via Quidco or Topcashback should get additional discount.
  • NiftyDigits
    I prefer to explore all options and then book via whoever offers the better value.

Dismissing one option out of hand isn't my way ;)

You appear to have jumped to conclusions. I didn't write that i didn't explore other options.
    In fact you may have noticed that I posted a positive comment on your Possible Bargain Car Hire thread, here

But in the end, I don't use brokers.

Apart from saving money, it means that I receive Gold and Presidential membership rewards with Hertz and AVIS, for example.
  • NiftyDigits
    stevie11 wrote: »
    For most of my rentals I use Autoeurope, they just come out the most competitive for my itineraries. I have had a go and came up with £603 for compact or £610 for intermediate and used 1/29 March. The OP did not give dates and I don't know why I chose these but the dates could an important factor on the pricing, i.e over Christmas Easter or other holidays. Results were using Autoeurope and Thrifty came out cheapest. If the OP wants sat nav or added window, breakdown, key cover etc that is usually extra. For a rental of that period I would prepurchase an annual policy in the UK for the extras plus use a smart phone as satnav. The Three all you can eat sim is great for travelling to the US for about £20 a month for a rolling contract.

For the 42 day rental I have used 1/3 to 11/4. Prices for Compact and Intermediate coming out at £876 and £885 with insurances and zero excess, again with Thrifty through Autoeurope.

As suggested booking via Quidco or Topcashback should get additional discount.

Matched your dates:

Untitled1.jpg

Hertz up to £50 less. In addition, Hertz offers 12% cashback, as opposed to 3.5% from Auto Europe.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 5:51AM
    Matched your dates:

Untitled1.jpg

Hertz up to £50 less. In addition, Hertz offers 12% cashback, as opposed to 3.5% from Auto Europe.

are you using your membership to get cheaper prices, I just tried hertz for those same dates and got £989 for the economy and £1027 for the compact.

Or am I looking at the wrong site. Hertz.co.uk

Edit just tried hertz.com and still got £989 and £1027
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Forumite
    You appear to have jumped to conclusions. I didn't write that i didn't explore other options.
    In fact you may have noticed that I posted a positive comment on your Possible Bargain Car Hire thread, here

But in the end, I don't use brokers.

Apart from saving money, it means that I receive Gold and Presidential membership rewards with Hertz and AVIS, for example.

Further up the thread, you said "I never use brokers" & " Always direct. I don't use brokers".
    Fair do's. Horses for courses, etc.& its your money to spend as you see fit.

I'm very keen at looking at value, rather than just cost and for you, the value of points received in membership schemes is where you get your additional value.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure