New Tesco digital payment app

New Tesco digital payment app launches offering 500 Clubcard points bonus for some users...
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• The theory looks good, obviously more-so for regular users of & shoppers at Tesco.
    My BIG concern before even downloading the app would be the reviews - which are (by & large) awful!
    Personally I would want to see lots more 5* (and recent) reviews before I would commit to downloading and using what looks for now like a "flakey" app.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    I guess I'm too old, but I consider this a step too far in terms of security for my card and banking details. Far too much personal information to be stored on a mobile device, which can easily be stolen/lost/hacked/cloned/whatever.

Then there's the small matter of relying on mobile phone providers for access to your data - okay until your provider has a wobble, or the computer says no like Delta Airlines.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I've been using PayQwiq for months and love it. I don't bother carrying my Clubcard with me anymore as its much easier just to scan the one app. You need to lock the app with a PIN or TouchID fingerprint, so if someone else got your phone they would need to unlock the phone and then the app.

I don't understand what the previous poster means abot the mobile phone provider having access to my data, this app is provided by Tesco and its Tesco that have my payment card and Clubcard information anyway.
  • genY
    genY Posts: 1 Newbie
    I agree with jon81uk

I've started using this recently in my local Tesco after being invited to the trial and it is so convenient. I understand the bad reviews from people who have previously been unable to use it while in 'trial mode' or beta testing but for me it has been perfect. Very easy to use, especially when I'm dashing into Tesco or out for a run. Never have to remember my Clubcard again and no payment limits like I've had with Apple Pay in Tesco.

Would recommend to all
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 August 2016 at 3:12PM
    Replacing Clubcard Boost with a postcode lottery? Great work Tesco.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Replacing Clubcard Boost with a postcode lottery? Great work Tesco.

Not sure what your point is?

Its my understanding that the reason PayQwiq isn't available in all stores is not all scanners are able to read mobile phone barcodes easily. I also imagine they are slowing rolling the service out to ensure it is reliable.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    500 bonus points available to early adopters: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2016/08/new-tesco-digital-payment-app-launches-offering-500-clubcard-points-bonus-for-some-users?_ga=1.46457312.696116361.1412375433

Doesn't seem particularly fair when large areas of the country can't access the service.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    The store I work in has just had contactless terminals installed so I'll be using Apple Pay over this...
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    jon81uk wrote: »
    I've been using PayQwiq for months and love it. I don't bother carrying my Clubcard with me anymore as its much easier just to scan the one app. You need to lock the app with a PIN or TouchID fingerprint, so if someone else got your phone they would need to unlock the phone and then the app.

I don't understand what the previous poster means abot the mobile phone provider having access to my data, this app is provided by Tesco and its Tesco that have my payment card and Clubcard information anyway.

You've misunderstood. Its not the provider having access that concerns me, its having to rely on the providers services for access to the app in the first place. No phone service no access.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't suppose this will work on my Nokia, then? :D

Personally, I'll stick with chip-and-pin.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure