amazon not delivering in outer boxes

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    rhino_horn wrote: »
    This happened to me Christmas 2016...my husband's present, a Roberts Radio delivered in no packaging apart from the Roberts box. Surprise well and truly ruined.

Did you mark it as a present ?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • It's called Frustration Free Packaging. Some items will just say that it is shipped in frustration free packaging, but on some items you get the choice. If you don't want everyone to see what you are buying, you need to click on the Gift option.

Kettle sold in frustration free packaging

SCHD Card sold with choice of frustration free packaging
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Amazon have been doing this for a few years with certain items such as DVD Players and HD recorders. Other retailers like Littlewoods and John Lewis do the same for certain items.
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    and to tick a box if it is a present?

I actually thought that was to get a gift receipt with the item, rather than to determine how it's packaged.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's happened to me once - luckily the box wasn't important and it held up (just about!) to the journey.

Normally we have the excessive-packaging issue though!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Never had it happen to me.

I love the packaging Amazon send as I find it all very useful and saves me having to buy it myself!
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 February 2018 at 9:10PM
    It's called Frustration Free Packaging. Some items will just say that it is shipped in frustration free packaging, but on some items you get the choice. If you don't want everyone to see what you are buying, you need to click on the Gift option.

Kettle sold in frustration free packaging

SCHD Card sold with choice of frustration free packaging

Frustration free packaging means the items packaging is easy to open and not made out of an annoying plastic clamshell or similar that usually requires brute force or sharp objects to open.

You can/do still get them inside an outer box or envelope depending on the item (especially if valuable and small).

For example a frustration free packaged SD card might be in a card sleeve or small card box (rather than card and plastic glued together requiring scissors to open), but then stuck inside a card envelope for shipping.

Likewise some non frustration free items are shipped in just the manufactuers normal boxes.

So relying on something being marked as frustration free or not isn't a great indicator (as a lot of items that are shipped sans additional packaging aren't certified frustration free).
  • biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    I think there was coverage of this issue in the news before Christmas.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Amazon can't win! No matter how much, or little packaging, it's wrong.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 February 2018 at 3:40PM
    rhino_horn wrote: »
    This happened to me Christmas 2016...my husband's present, a Roberts Radio delivered in no packaging apart from the Roberts box. Surprise well and truly ruined.

IME it will always warn you on the Amazon listing if there is a possibility of then not boxing an item.
    Eg Roberts radio

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-R9993-3-Band-Portable-Radio/dp/B000B5TX66/ref=lp_2793531031_1_1?srs=2793531031&ie=UTF8&qid=1518532452&sr=8-1
    In stock.
    Want it delivered by tomorrow, 14 Feb.? Order within 4 hrs 24 mins and choose Express Delivery at checkout. Details
    Dispatched and sold by Amazon in certified Frustration-Free Packaging. Gift-wrap available.
    Note: This item is eligible for click and collect. Details
    6 new from £19.99 4 used from £18.12
    Three band battery-operated portable radio
    LW/MW/FM wavebands
    Dial tuning system and LED power indicator
    Headphone socket and DC input sockets
    Angled top panel for ease of use
    Report incorrect product information.
    Packaging may reveal contents. Choose Conceal Package at checkout.
    I had an iron come recently from Amazon with just a sticker on the iron box. Everything else has come packaged in an Amazon box (iron was from Amazon, not marketplace)

Iron

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-GC8735-80-PerfectCare-Performer/dp/B01H54SBY0/ref=pd_sim_79_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DHNGSCG8T4CJK9ED0MG2
    In stock.
    Want it delivered by tomorrow, 14 Feb.? Order within 3 hrs 51 mins and choose Express Delivery at checkout. Details
    Dispatched and sold by Amazon in certified Frustration-Free Packaging. Gift-wrap available.
    8 new from £178.45 3 used from £132.84
    Trade up for steam with silent power for faster, quieter ironing: 6.5 bars steam pressure, 120 g/min continuous steam output and 420 g steam boost targets deep-set creases
    One temperature setting (OptimalTEMP) effective and safe - cotton to silk, no sorting required and no fabric burn ensured, not guaranteed
    1.8 L easy fill detachable water tank and quick 2 minute heat up time
    Light 1.2 kg iron with T-ionicGlide ceramic soleplate, Philips 5 star rated for smooth glide and scratch resistance plus ultra-light, compact steam generating base with safety carry lock
    Peace of mind: Product covered by Philips 2 years warranty and 60 day money back guarantee
    Compare with similar items
    Report incorrect product information.
    Packaging may reveal contents. Choose Conceal Package at checkout.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure