Cruciate ligament damage in dogs

Comments

• If the dog was brought up with a cage after care will be so much easier. When it is just done they seem to restrict themselves (perhaps it hurts) but trying to stop them jumping up, rushing to the door when the postman has been, the kids come home from school etc is very difficult. Luckily my Weimaraner had been used to a cage as a puppy and we got it out again for his recovery.
  • pamril1
    pamril1 Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well she's finally home!! (and getting spoilt)
    I nearly died when she saw we were there and started to jump about at us, trying to calm her down was a nightmare but she seems to have settled a little now she is home.
    She has two scars on the inner and outer thigh bless her. We were given anti-inflammatories, painkillers and due to her vomiting during the procedure (we weren't told this until today! she was nil by mouth between accident and surgery so think it must have been a bad reaction to anesthetic) has damaged the lining of the throat and stomach so has two lots of antacids for that.
    Staples to be removed in two weeks at our local vets and 4 weeks for x-ray under anesthetic to see how thing are doing.
    She's laid with her teddy at the minute in her crate, glad I have it to keep her safe especially as my other dog is desperate to play with her and they play rough normally so keeping them well apart, which isn't going down well with either of them lol.

Will try to get some photos on asap so you can see the cute and mischievous little madam.
    Supporting the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust
  • I'm really pleased that you've got her home. I'm glad it's not just my dogs that have teddies ;)

I'm sure that she'll enjoy all the fuss and attention. My little chunky monkey is enjoying all the cheese slices that we are using to hide her tablets in :grin:
  • Turns out that Iska hadn't been given the "alternate" anesthetic hence the sickness. Due to her being a husky and having low body fat and metabolism she should have had a different anesthetic but thinking that the vets would know this already and being overly worried because of the shock forgot to mention this in her case, so will make it known at her 4 week check so there will be no reoccurance.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Glad to hear she's home and well. Now the fun starts to stop her jumping! My Vet also could not insist enough on no weight gain and to reduce food intake by 30-50%. I've never seen my Dog so hungry. She keeps trying to eat paper!
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • lorac3
    lorac3 Posts: 248 Forumite
    My Springer had 2 ops for this and I was told that she would develop arthritis in the leg, but about a week after the last op I started giving her Glucosamine sulphate 2x1000 every night ( no side effects ), she has had this for the last 6 years ( her boy also has it ) and although she is now 10 and is slowing down a bit her leg is a little stiff but there is no arthritis in the joint. It is used as a preventative rather than a cure and I really believe that it is helping.
    I get the tabs from Ebay where they are shipped from Guernsey on bogoff
  • Hi pamril1, just wondering how Iska is getting on. Has her tummy settled down and are you managing to keep her from jumping around?
  • pamril1
    pamril1 Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi mrscarney, Iska has been fairly quiet today so it hasn't been too bad. The other dog is desperate to play and keeps nudging at her but she's not at all interested. She isn't eating a great deal but I guess thats to be expected.
    She's quite a good little patient, she takes her medication and hardly fusses bless her. When she walks her leg seems to be turned out slightly, is that normal?
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lorac3 wrote: »
    My Springer had 2 ops for this and I was told that she would develop arthritis in the leg, but about a week after the last op I started giving her Glucosamine sulphate 2x1000 every night ( no side effects ), she has had this for the last 6 years ( her boy also has it ) and although she is now 10 and is slowing down a bit her leg is a little stiff but there is no arthritis in the joint. It is used as a preventative rather than a cure and I really believe that it is helping.
    I get the tabs from Ebay where they are shipped from Guernsey on bogoff

I was warned also that arthritis was very likely.......my dog now wears a magnetic collar. WARNING Do not use until a while after all stiches are out and wounds healed....get advice from your vet!

I'm quite a fan of magnets as I really feel my arthritic ankles if I don't wear my bracelet:D
  • pamril1 wrote: »
    Hi mrscarney, Iska has been fairly quiet today so it hasn't been too bad. The other dog is desperate to play and keeps nudging at her but she's not at all interested. She isn't eating a great deal but I guess thats to be expected.
    She's quite a good little patient, she takes her medication and hardly fusses bless her. When she walks her leg seems to be turned out slightly, is that normal?

this is apperntly normal, Jess has both legs turning out now, she looks like Charlie Chaplin when she is sitting, its to do with how they change the angle of the knee joint with the surgery

She sounds like the model patient so far, thinking of you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport