Traffic lights and box junctions

Options
13»

Comments

• Helen77
    Options
    Hi ya, just a bit of advice if posSible, I got stuck behind someone turning right in a box junction earlier (stupid I know) I was going straight on, and it was obviously green when I entered but turned red whilst I was in it. I had no choice but to move as I would have caused obstructions, there's deffo a camera so I'm expecting a fine which I'm not bothered about but will I get done for running a red light also? Can I take a course for this instead of points as I can only have 6 in 2 years as I'm a new driver otherwise I lose my license !!!128585; help!!! Xx
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If all of your car was across the stopline when the light turned red then you won't get a fine for the redlight offence (which carries points also)
    You may get just a fine for stopping in a box junction.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Lucky_Duck_2
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Always interesting when someone demands a source but doesn't have one for their own position, assuming that their own position is superior by default.

They are only a hazard for unprepared poor drivers. Basic common sense tells you that if a traffic light in the road ahead has been green for a while it's likely to change soon. What hardship is it to be prepared for it to change by taking your foot off the accelerator or easing off so that you can stop in good time for the amber light? (Yes, amber, not red. Both mean the same)

The snag with easing off in anticipation of the lights changing is that it becomes a self forthfiling prophesy.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lucky_Duck wrote: »
    The snag with easing off in anticipation of the lights changing is that it becomes a self forthfiling prophesy.

Safer than having to slam the anchors on entirely. Unlikely to be a self fulfilling prophecy on many occasions. If it's been green for a while it will change. Better to be prepared to change than to get snapped or worse, cause an accident.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    If you were intending to turn right you should be waiting in the box.

I was going straight on.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    OP - I wouldn't cross the stop line unless I was sure I could exit the box. Around here there are junctions where you can't see the lights after you are over the stop line so you are leaving yourself in "no man's land".

You're right about not being able to see the traffic light once you're over the line.

On this occasion there was probably around 30ft from stop line to box junction due to a pedestrian crossing and the a hefty gap (at least two car lengths). When I crossed the stop line I wasn't yet aware there was a box junction.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to be clear on the red light offence - you should stop on amber unless it is unsafe to do so, so if you crawl across a stop line on amber in a queue you are likely committing an offence. Secondly, the offence is that any part of the vehicle moves over the stop line when the light is red then that is an offence.

If there is a car length between the stop line and the yellow box then in principle you can stop beyond the stop line and in principle you could proceed at any time it was safe to do so.

Each line of an advanced cycle stop counts as a stop line - if the light is red it is an offence to move across either the stop line entering the cycle box or the line at the front of the cycle box.

In the situation you describe, you have legally entered the junction beyond the traffic lights, then it is your decision whether to move forward depending on traffic, but you cannot then stop on the yellow box junction. As others have said, it is your decision as to whether it is safe to use, and all you can interpret from someone sounding their horn is that it is alerting you to their presence.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to be clear on the red light offence - you should stop on amber unless it is unsafe to do so, so if you crawl across a stop line on amber in a queue you are likely committing an offence. Secondly, the offence is that any part of the vehicle moves over the stop line when the light is red then that is an offence.

If there is a car length between the stop line and the yellow box then in principle you can stop beyond the stop line and in principle you could proceed at any time it was safe to do so.

Each line of an advanced cycle stop counts as a stop line - if the light is red it is an offence to move across either the stop line entering the cycle box or the line at the front of the cycle box.

In the situation you describe, you have legally entered the junction beyond the traffic lights, then it is your decision whether to move forward depending on traffic, but you cannot then stop on the yellow box junction. As others have said, it is your decision as to whether it is safe to use, and all you can interpret from someone sounding their horn is that it is alerting you to their presence.

Eh! As I understand it, the horn is a tool for the sole use of perfect drivers to lambaste their less-than-perfect fellow drivers.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »
    But, on this occasion, I could see the road was clear, so I could legally have crossed? When the guy behind beeped (and beeped and beeeeeped) I considered it, but I wasn't sure enough.

If someone was beeping me then i would wait on principle as i don't like it when anyone ever tries to hurry me, and i certainly would not wish to "reward" them for beeping
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    If someone was beeping me then i would wait on principle as i don't like it when anyone ever tries to hurry me, and i certainly would not wish to "reward" them for beeping
    ...and if they'd decided to have a word you could say that you were about to go but the beeping confused you and as you heard a warning you thought it safer to stay put.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure