SCAM petrol pumps

I have tested this a few times and before any petrol leaves the nozzle of the sainsburys petrol pump it clocks up 12p, I tested this as I was holding the pump leaver for a while before fuel came out and one day i kept pulling and releasing the leaver, just before the fuel gets delivered 12p appears on the pump cost.

Has anyone else noticed this?????

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you tried lifting the hose up so there isn't a trough in which the petrol can collect, and given the handle a good shake...?

At £1.17 a litre, 12p would be just over 100ml...
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Ive noticed some pumps now have a tv screen showing videos etc and people talking etc all to take your mind off how much fuel your putting in
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How much fuel did it say it had delivered?
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    davtho wrote: »
    I have tested this a few times and before any petrol leaves the nozzle of the sainsburys petrol pump it clocks up 12p, I tested this as I was holding the pump leaver for a while before fuel came out and one day i kept pulling and releasing the leaver, just before the fuel gets delivered 12p appears on the pump cost.

It's right up there with man not landing on the moon.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

No.

Because it is not true.

The 12p worth you dispense is sat in the pipe, lift the pipe up and your 12p will be delivered.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

And that last 12 pence worth continues to be delivered when you release the pump.

All pumps are regulated by design and tested regularly. Its nonsense to think theres 12p going astray with every single transaction.

Its not a SCAM. Just because you dont understand something doesnt make it a SCAM.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    OP, presumably you think that your shower is "SCAMMING you". After all, it delivers litres of water before you get the water at the temperature you want.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    And that last 12 pence worth continues to be delivered when you release the pump.

All pumps are regulated by design and tested regularly. Its nonsense to think theres 12p going astray with every single transaction.

Its not a SCAM. Just because you dont understand something doesnt make it a SCAM.
    But it is a SCAM if it says so in the thread title, surely ;)
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    neilmcl wrote: »
    But it is a SCAM if it says so in the thread title, surely ;)

:T

True, like when "Not Fit for Purpose" and "Mis-sold" appears in a title....
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    It's right up there with man not landing on the moon.

Im there with that one. Bought a telescope off ebay and had a look for the flag and other remnants of their landing. I found nothing.

The chinese landing also claimed their was no flag or other signs of a moon landing. I didnt find any traces of the Chinese landing either though.

Maybe its because we had trouble actually finding the moon on the telescope? Full moon (not a supermoon) but large and clear enough yet we struggled to find it :)

So i am doubting the moon actually exists so you cannot land on something that doesnt exist. :)
    Should i start on the earth being flat now?

:A:A:A:A:A
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure