PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

64 year lease..is this worth it?

Hello!

I am seriously considering buying this property rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64854536

It needs a complete renovation, kitchen, bathroom, carpets, plastering, central heating etc and has a 64 year lease.

I am not convinced all this is reflected in the price...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• do not see the link?
  • HD1882
    HD1882 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Yep that's the one thanks, I wasn't able to post the link
  • Well what are similar properties that have a reasonable lease length left and require no rennovation priced at? It certainly seems pricey for the location, but I know little of Ware. If it has excellent transport links to London then maybe it's justified.

Extending the lease is likely to be expensive. You need to determine how much it will cost, presumably you'll be buying cash as such a low lease length is unlikely to be mortgageable.

Unless it's a shared freehold situation and you can just get an extension for the cost of the legal work. Though this is not guaranteed, other freeholders may still want to charge for the extension. So don't take their word for it, in this situation you'll want to make getting the lease extended a condition of the contract.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Extending the lease is likely to be expensive. You need to determine how much it will cost, presumably you'll be buying cash as such a low lease length is unlikely to be mortgageable.

It depends on the lender (and the buyer). 64 lease could be mortgageable, most require 40 years after the extinguishing the mortgage, so 20 years mortgage is okay.
    EU expat working in London
  • Well a lot of lenders are cautious below 80 years and I personally would not touch it unless similar properties are going for 300+.

The vendor can start lease extensions now as you would have to wait 2 years. Also renovations could run into 30-50k depending on how bad it is.
  • HD1882
    We would need a mortgage and our mortgage in principle is over 30 years.

It would take a good 6 months maybe more to complete the works required before anyone could even move in..

And I read it two years before you can start to extend a lease and then the time it takes to extend it so it will be on 62/63 years by then..
  • HD1882
    similar properties but renovated are going for £250k
  • always_sunny
    Your mortgage in principle would be based on what you told the lender/broker.
    It is not the mortgage offer.

Unless the current owner initiates the extension and pass it on to you, you would have to wait 2 years for the formal and anytime for informal. Once you start the formal process it may take up to 12 months to finish, though the clock stops at the time you started.

Is it going to be a walk in the park? No it is not and it's going to be expensive.
    Will it be more expensive than an equivalent flat with a longer lease and expensive ground rent at the end of the journey? Maybe not.
  • always_sunny
    HD1882 wrote: »
    similar properties but renovated are going for £250k

Put the numbers on http://www.lease-advice.org/calculator/ just to get an idea.
    Long lease similar at £250k, Ground Rent (if not known, put £50 or so), expiry of the lease is sometime in 2081.

I tried and says: The price of your lease extension is likely to be between £23000 and £25000 plus costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport