Can I Balance Transfer my husbands balances?

I would like to apply for an MBNA card that has a good balance transfer rate for life.

I dont have any credit cards in my name but my husband has some including an MBNA card.

Will I be able to transfer the balance from one of his cards to mine?

On the online application form it asks what credit cards I have (not for balance transfer purposes). So I assume I leave this blank apart from a car loan I have?

Comments

• Will I be able to transfer the balance from one of his cards to mine?
    Yes, you will. Consider the fact that the debt will become legally yours and you will have sole legal responsibility to pay it back. This may not be a concern to you, but it's worth at least thinking about.
    On the online application form it asks what credit cards I have (not for balance transfer purposes). So I assume I leave this blank apart from a car loan I have?
    Yes
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    You can switch credit card balances from family, friends or Dave down the pub. You should be aware though, that the person whose card his balance is shifted to, becomes solely liable for the debt.

From the lender's perspective, it's not a problem. At the end of the day, the card company is after your business. They're not really interested in knowing who ran up the debt, as long as you, their customer, pay up on time each month!

Caution: you cannot transfer balances between cards underwritten by the same bank.) This table on the stoozing site (which is sponsored by Money Saving Expert) should help: ;)

http://www.stoozing.com/cards.htm
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Yes in principle but only to the extent of your credit limit which may be lower than that of your husband.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • stelly
    stelly Posts: 402 Forumite
    Hi

Ive a similar question to above. I have 1 credit card Lloyds tsb which i have had for years balance £3050 and as i only work 10 hrs a week i expect it will be quite hard to apply for a new one. My husband has never had one and so he wanted to get a card in his name and transfer the balance of mine onto his hopefully getting a 0% deal.

1. He is an additional cardholder on mine does this count as having a cc?
    2. If not will this go against him? (we do have a mortgage and joint loan)
    3. Can you balance transfer from lloyds tsb to halifax now that there owned by same people?

Thanks
    "Opportunity only knocks once.
    It doesnt knock, knock again, then leave a note asking you to give it a call back when you've got your s*** together".
    John Connolly
  • stelly wrote: »
    1. He is an additional cardholder on mine does this count as having a cc?
    No, I believe not.
    stelly wrote: »
    2. If not will this go against him? (we do have a mortgage and joint loan)
    I would suspect it won't be a problem. Note that if you have a joint loan, you can linked finances, and he will be credit scored at least in part on your history (and you on his).
    stelly wrote: »
    3. Can you balance transfer from lloyds tsb to halifax now that there owned by same people?
    Yes, I asked them recently and you still can.
  • stelly
    stelly Posts: 402 Forumite
    Thank you.:beer:
    "Opportunity only knocks once.
    It doesnt knock, knock again, then leave a note asking you to give it a call back when you've got your s*** together".
    John Connolly
  • You're welcome.
  • lrlrip wrote: »
    I have three credit cards, they have not been used for years. My husband has three but one is due to finish the fixed rate next month. If I apply for one to transfer his on to do I say I have three cards with nothing on them. Basically what I am trying to say will they give me a card if it looks like I have nothing to transfer.
    Hope this makes sense.

That sounds reasonable. However, it would be worth checking the status of your dormant cards (either phone them and ask or check you credit file). Some companies close dormant cards if you don't use them for a certain amount of time - they may have done this and not told you.

I doubt it'll make a lot of difference to your new card, but it might help in putting accurate information on the application.

Oh, but do you have any joint accounts or loans? If you do, you're financially linked and they will score you on your joint history.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure