MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Options

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dinger3 wrote: »
    Hi MSE,
    I am a BG customer, and switched to YOUR new deal called; MSE BG Collective Fix Oct 2017; which apparently is for 'duel fuel', and on the MSE Cheap Energy Club site, of which I am signed up to, it tells me I am in the process of switching to this new deal. Well I received an email from BG B]Saturday 24 Sept 2016[/B informing me of 'Important information about your new gas tariff''. So I signed into my BG account; and THAT does show I am NOW on this new deal for BG Collective Fix Oct 2017; BUT FOR GAS ONLY, AND MY ELECTRICITY IS STILL ON STANDARD TARIFF!!! WHY IS THIS???
    Why haven't BG put me on the 'DUEL FUEL' tariffs for YOUR MSE BG Collective Fix Oct 2017?

Can someone there in the MSE Cheap Energy Club please look into this and get back to me, before the deal finishes altogether, as I need both my Gas and Electricity to be as cheap as possible? Thank you.

Consult a comparison site (like the CEC) and look particularly at seperate fuel suppliers. I'm sure you can probably do better than this BG tariff, especially for gas where BG are always notiously expensive in comparison.
    (Unfortunately, you may be hit with early exit fees now :()
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Isbjorn wrote: »
    There is a discrepancy between my current provider's annual projected cost and MSE's Cheap Energy Club search results:- For 15138 kWh gas and 1894 kWh Electricty, GB Energy project my standard variable tariff to be £715.13/year, whereas same figures put into MSE Cheap Energy Club search engine return £767 - about £50 more (7% discrepancy). If I 'fix' for 12 months with GB Energy my bill falls to £706.84 which is lower than the promoted BGas 'deal' at £708.
    Why are MSE CEC's search results for my supplier 7% higher than my supplier's own projection?

No one can answer that question based on the limited info you have supplied.

What I suggest you do is:
    (a) compare your current tariff info (unit rates, daily standing charges, etc) with those as provided by the CEC.

If they are different, try to establish why. Are you sure you have been allocated to the correct supply region. Are you looking at the correct tariff? If still unsure, either contact the CEC or all the details here and someone will take a look.

(b) Do the calculation yourself, and discover who has made the error, and contact them about it
    (again, if unsure, post all the details here and someone can double check for you)
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For those of you switching from the E.On MSE September collective tariff to this years BG collective, I'd advise you check your online account with E.On as they have moved me onto their standard EnergyPlan tariff even though I should still remain on the MSE fix tariff until the switch is complete.

I contacted E.On, and they informed me that this has happened because they were notified of my impending switch after my fix contract had expired. They did however inform me that because I had called to query this, they would honour the MSE fix rates until the switch to BG completes.

I am sure there will be many of you in the same boat, so I urge you all to double-check what tariff you are on, and if you've been moved onto EnergyPlan, give them a call. :)
  • nick.wevans
    Options
    I have just done the comparison and by using my current SSE TCU and comparing your recomended
    British Gas TCR Iwould not save anything but in fact I would end up paying extra £32.00 plus exit fees.
    Please can you explain
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    wizk1 wrote: »
    For those of you switching from the E.On MSE September collective tariff to this years BG collective, I'd advise you check your online account with E.On as they have moved me onto their standard EnergyPlan tariff even though I should still remain on the MSE fix tariff until the switch is complete.

I contacted E.On, and they informed me that this has happened because they were notified of my impending switch after my fix contract had expired. They did however inform me that because I had called to query this, they would honour the MSE fix rates until the switch to BG completes.

I am sure there will be many of you in the same boat, so I urge you all to double-check what tariff you are on, and if you've been moved onto EnergyPlan, give them a call. :)

The E.ON Company Rep (Malc) who often posts on here has said...

"The Price Protection window kicks in when fixed term contracts near the end. It's open 49 calendar days before the tariff end date until 20 working days after. During this time and provided we're told, we'll make sure you're protected against any price changes that aren't in your favour whilst a change of supplier goes through."

To avoid adding confusion whilst the switch is going through, I intend to wait till the switch has completed before I complain to E.ON, assuming I'm not billed at the lower rate by E.ON for my final bill.
  • Lakeviews
    Options
    Very disappointed. Several companies are offering a better deal than this. If MSE cannot be honest who can we trust?
  • preciousillusions
    Options
    Any opinions on Scottish Power vs British Gas? They are coming out similar on the price comparison for me.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any opinions on Scottish Power vs British Gas? They are coming out similar on the price comparison for me.

A lot depends on which supply area you are in. Some firms are very competitive in some but not at all in others.

Take a closer look at the unit prices. Maybe SP has rather cheaper gas and BG slightly cheaper electricity, like here. The time of year for using more gas is approaching.
  • JyfLemmon
    Options
    I am trying to switch energy providers, but every time I click on the link, it hangs for a bit & then gives me a "runtime error" page...
    What to do...?
  • splattsville
    Options
    I'm getting the same problem - tried using 2 different browsers, so I think it must be a problem their end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure