PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What does "cash offers only" mean when buying a house?

Comments

• You have to wonder why sellers stipulate this. It can only have the effect of reducing the size of the buyer pool, which in turn is going to reduce the number of bids made, one of which might have been the highest.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You have to wonder why sellers stipulate this. It can only have the effect of reducing the size of the buyer pool, which in turn is going to reduce the number of bids made, one of which might have been the highest.
    I'd say this level of honesty is both refreshing and useful. If previous purchasers have tried to buy using a mortgage and have been unable to do so, it seems churlish to keep schtum and allow more and more people to waste money knowing full well they are likely to have the same result.

In addition, the vendor and the agent would be continually wasting their own time. Realistic and pragmatic approach IMHO.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 April 2011 at 1:40PM
    Could be someone running out of money and trying to get a very quick sale. Or someone who prefers not be hanging on wondering if their buyer will actaully get their mortgage approved - so many sales are dropping through because some don't appreciate how much tighter mortage lending conditions have become. Or it's not possible to get a mortgage on it at all for some reason. I would be getting back to the agents - if you're interested in it - and find out what's going on.
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    slicendice wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses everyone - much appreciated.

The house itself appears to be in very good condition - obviously that's just from outward appearance at this stage so accept that there may be "unseen" issues. The inside has recently been refurbished and looks to be in extremely good condition, and certainly doesn't appear to be uninhabitable or in such a bad condition that it wouldn't be possible to get a mortgage on it.

I'm wondering if it's more the possibility specified by poppysarah and it's recently been bought and renovated....and maybe the renovator's run out of money?

What's the situation in terms of bidding on a property like this? Might it be possible to negotiate more than usual?

Give the agent a ring and ask if its cash buyers or no chain buyers and why they have put that in the advert.

if the house is unmortgageable then negotiations could well be in the buyers favour, but if 2 buyers are interested then there is less chance of a bargin.

if the house has been done up and the investor is selling because its finished, then they may just want a quick sale to avoid a falling market and interest rates rise.

if its because the investor has run out of money then it depends how much hasn't been done and if its being sold by the investor or by the mortgage company.
  • 2bFrank
    2bFrank Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would defo find out what is going on before you even dream of trying to buy the house.

Banks will give out mortgages for most houses, even non standard. The issue is usually to do with insurance. If insurance companies will not insure a house (due to construction, damage etc) then your chances of a mortgage is virtually nil. Plus if you carnt get insurance, your risking all that money on a pile of bricks, that is very likely to fall down soon.

There are some speciality insurance companies that will insure some dodgy houses, and if you can find the insurance, you are more likely to find a mortgage company that will lend to you. However this would be a nightmare, I would hope the price reduction is really worth the effort.
  • Jaynne
    Jaynne Posts: 552 Forumite
    Have you asked the estate agent? One two minute call should sort it out?

When I saw the post I thought it meant someone without a chain only but other explanations of it being unmortgageable are also reasonable.

As to honesty, well they probably don't want to waste their time because if its unmortgageable then this would be picked up in the survey and the sale would fall through.
  • slicendice
    slicendice Posts: 18 Forumite
    Sorry, one other thing I should have mentioned - the ad originally stated that all offers should be submitted by 31st March. Obviously that date has come and gone and it's still on the market.

I don't know if that time deadline would indicate the presence of a renovator who's run out of money, and hence the need for a quick sale...?
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My old house was unmortgageable. I bought it with a mortgage, later the mortgage co's introduced a compulsary test for concrete cancer for houses in our area of a certain age & my house had it.

We got fed up with the estate agents sending people round that would offer but be ubable to get a mortgage! In the end we sold to a structural engineer but told them they had to complete by a certain date (within four weeks) otherwise it was going to the auction it was already booked into.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's really a simple choice here.....

1. Phone the estate agent and get a definite answer in a few minutes.

2. Come onto this forum and ask a bunch of strangers that can guess all day but really don't know the answer.

You decide :)
  • slicendice
    slicendice Posts: 18 Forumite
    eschaton wrote: »
    There's really a simple choice here.....

1. Phone the estate agent and get a definite answer in a few minutes.

2. Come onto this forum and ask a bunch of strangers that can guess all day but really don't know the answer.

You decide :)

I wanted to do a little research before contacting the estate agent so I would at least have a rough idea what I was talking about. Always better to go into these things a little prepared than completely blind....at least, that's my feeling.

Thanks anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport