Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Erm, about the state pension? What positives, I can't think of any?
    I was replying to your reply to the comment about the 25% tax free element of personal pensions.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh! My comment wasn't about the 25% tax free bit :) internet replies are wonderful things :)

Signing off now.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Stuff that! If I deem I have sufficient to support myself, then it should matter not whether I choose to withdraw at 50, 55, 60 or whenever.

You may 'deem so' but many in your position underestimate the length of their life. So overestimate how much cash they can draw from pensions (so that they dont run out before you die).
  • Stirfry
    Stirfry Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Retired August 2015 aged 58, recently sold main home and am waiting for OH to wind business down over next year. Will be closely looking at how much cash we can withdraw from savings/interest to supplement small current pensions and future state ones. Its difficult to get the balance right as OH wants to spend spend spend while he is young enough to enjoy and i want to keep it under the mattress and count it now and again.
  • atush wrote: »
    You may 'deem so' but many in your position underestimate the length of their life. So overestimate how much cash they can draw from pensions (so that they dont run out before you die).
    And that's why the SP is a useful backstop.

Personally, I know what my longevity forecast (and that of my wife) looks like.
    I also have run lots of sims to get a Safe Withdrawal Rate, which I can flex if I get poor initial years' returns.
    Finally I hope to have a pot at (or near) the Lifetime Limit = however I rather suspect / hope that it will no longer be an issue once I approach it.

Bad scenario: I get to 55, with £1m in the pot, which frankly is ample for £40,000 to £45,000 pa (to be supported by small spouse pension and 2 x SPs later on).
    BUT the state, in its wisdom, deems me somehow too young to access it.

I know I #could# mitigate this risk a little, by diversifying into ISAs. However I am well and truly stuck in the 62% marginal tax band, which makes pension optimisation the only sensible game in town.
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    So here it is....

Not retiring....but you knew that ;-)

Have agreed a 25% reduction in hours which I will test drive over the next 12 months.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • goRt
    goRt Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So here it is....

Have agreed a 25% reduction in hours which I will test drive over the next 12 months.

Richest person in the graveyard.

I'm coming up to 4 years in retirement and I'm only just 54.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So here it is....

Let us know how you get on, as i- unlike gort, dont think you will heading tot he graveyard soon.
  • C-dog
    C-dog Posts: 90 Forumite
    Marine Life I've been rattling around these forums for many years and this thread has been an inspiration to my own early retirement. If you don't retire before me....I just don't know what I'll do.
  • Wenlock
    Wenlock Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Which will come first; the building of the third runway at Heathrow or the "early" retirement of Marine Life?

Personally, I retired at 50 on a fraction of the money that most posters on here have. I would not have wanted to carry on working beyond that age. There really is more to life than work and excessive wealth.

For goodness sake just quit today!:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure