Parents telling their children to keep secrets from the other parents?

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'd definitely give him an ear bending.. stupid man!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • CarolynH wrote: »
    Really naughty of your ex, can you keep reinforcing to your kids that it's ok/ right to tell you things, and they'll not ever be in trouble for telling? (even if in the future it's that they've done something wrong, you're happy that they owned up, even if you're sad at what they did sort of thing.

Good luck sorting your ex out.

That's what I tried to do tonight with them. I said that they should never keep secrets from me and it was really important that I knew everything that happened with them, as I was their mum. I said that they would never get in trouble for telling me, and I wasn't cross with them for trying not to tell me. I also said that their dad was wrong to tell them to keep things secret from me, but that it wasn't their fault. I said to them that if he ever asks them to keep something secret again, they should simply say that we don't have secrets in our house as it's wrong to keep secrets from your parents. He just shouldn't be putting them in that position or burdening them like that.

I'll try and sort it with him tomorrow. Just feel a bit drained tonight with it all.
    Olympic Countdown Challenge #145 ~ DFW Nerd #389 ~ Debt Free Date: [STRIKE]December 2015[/STRIKE] September 2015

:j BabySpendalot arrived 26/6/11 :j
  • shellsuit wrote: »
    I'd just have words with him (the ex), and mention that if he told the children to keep quiet because of the money aspect, then that's fine if he thinks it's more important to buy and look after a dog than provide for the children he already has, but he should not to ask the children to keep it to themselves as it's unfair to worry them.

How long did he think he could keep it a secret though? If the dog bit one of the kids I'm sure you would know about it soon enough!

Well this is the thing isn't it?! If they get bitten by the dog, what then? Would he even phone me or would that be covered up too. I feel like saying to be honest that it's a shame he can support a dog better than his children but I'm just wasting my breath on that one. He clearly isn't concerned for that aspect of their welfare anymore than their emotional welfare! The silly thing is, the boys are terrified of dogs!
    Olympic Countdown Challenge #145 ~ DFW Nerd #389 ~ Debt Free Date: [STRIKE]December 2015[/STRIKE] September 2015

• One of the things I actually find the most disturbing is when the eldest one let slip they had taken something to show their Nanna and then said but I can't tell you what, I asked the youngest (5 years old) what they showed their Nanna and he lied to me and told me they took a poster. They actually took this dog it turns out. I think it's really worrying that a 5 year old is so quick at churning out a lie like that. Certainly taking after his dad!

• shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One of the things I actually find the most disturbing is when the eldest one let slip they had taken something to show their Nanna and then said but I can't tell you what, I asked the youngest (5 years old) what they showed their Nanna and he lied to me and told me they took a poster. They actually took this dog it turns out. I think it's really worrying that a 5 year old is so quick at churning out a lie like that. Certainly taking after his dad!

Now that's wrong. They're not only being asked to keep a secret, but they're lying about it too.

I don't mean the kids are wrong, I mean by him asking them to keep the secret, they are feeling the need to lie about it.

He has put them in that position which isn't fair at all, poor things :(

ETA : If they're terrified of dogs, he should have known better than to just land them with "look at the new dog but don't tell Mummy!"

Idiot!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • lawrie28
    lawrie28 Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    On the bright side, he will be walking around in the rain soon, picking up it's S**T!

To be fair, he may have got a rescue dog, so it may not have cost him for the animal, but it still needs food, leads, beds, vets bills etc. I would call/go to see him and have a chat. He shouldn't be asking kids to keep secrets, it won't do anyone any favours. It's hard enough for kids when their parents aren't together, this just makes it even harder. Don't flip your lid though, cos that will make him not listen. Flip the situation on him, ask him how he would feel if you told the kids not to tell him something. Save the maintenance argument for another day, the lying part is far worse, IMO.
  • it's definitely not a rescue dog, they went 2 pick it up yesterday from the breeder's house. It's a puppy. The maintenance issue can b saved 4 the csa to b honest. Theyre sending compliance people out 2 him by all accounts!

• jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    it's definitely not a rescue dog, they went 2 pick it up yesterday from the breeder's house. It's a puppy. The maintenance issue can b saved 4 the csa to b honest. Theyre sending compliance people out 2 him by all accounts!
    Maybe he thought you would make a fuss cos the boys dont like dogs? Did they express any anxiety about it?
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • I had this conversation when my little one was a toddler with the ex. Admittedly he's from a different culture so I don't know if this approach would work on an English bloke but I figure it's worth a shot:-

The theme of the conversation = keeping our kid safe from perverts, peado's and others who would hurt him. So really not personal to him as a Dad in anyway at all.

Aim:- If any adult, no matter in what position of trust (remember the couple from Soham?) makes our child feel uncomfy in ANY way, he should feel able to tell either of us at ANY time, (and yes he has asked to call his Dad rather than tell me stuff he thnks only a "boy" could understand re playground mishaps).
    REASON for ex:- Everything you read about child abusers seems to say that they try and keep their activities a secret from you and that it's most often not a total stranger but someone you the adult trust, (the worst case I've read was the nursery worker in Plymouth).
    RESULT for me:- not having to raise a child who constantly feels pulled in two between his parents, even if we aren't together priceless!

Result:- Kid has said stuff to both of us we haven't enjoyed hearing repeated, but I left it a couple of weeks before pointing out this would inevitably happen and referred daft ex to original point, and the reason.

He's a complete £$%£ but making about a wider issue of keeping our child safe from every parents worst nightmare meant he realised that if he as a Dad followed my plan that in a worst case scenario our kid would tell us hopefully before becoming a tablois style victim. It meant he was able to see outside of the narrow tit for tat crap and look at what was in his child's best interests in a much wider sense. It stopped being about "us" iykwim. The mere idea that an abuser could and would use his silly technique against me was enough to stop that sort of behavior from him in it's tracks. He admits now he realised now my dislike of encouraging my child to keep secrets from me wasn't about him, but about the child's long term welfare. He also loves it when his boy "confides" in him over the usual playground squabble stuff, it makes them both feel closer and has enabled them to bond in a way I don't think they would have if the "secrets from Mum" stuff has continued - tho he couldn't see that at the time of course.

We over a period of weeks worked out a sensible approach - if we saw the world the same way we'd still be together. I don't encroach on convos his son has with him, and he doesn't interfere with mine. We argue out of the child's earshot when we disagree on things and we always present a united front to the child. I stil think it's awful I had to use shock tactics to shake him out of his selfish childishness, but sometimes needs must when dealing with ijeets who can't put their own kid first
  • I would think twice about sending my kids to an ex who procured a potentially dangerous animal. He is a !!!!!! by the sounds of it.

Not the issue but why can't the bloke pay something for his kids ? You know where he lives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure