Will new S Pension cause resentment?

Comments

• fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    badmemory wrote: »
    And I guess the "no longer retire for another 6 years" should actually read another 1 year. Unless of course you like so many others were illiterate until they hit their late fifties.

No, i meant what i wrote.

Maybe i should write "effect" rather than "affect" as i'm illiterate?

I can't believe someone thanked your post.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No, i meant what i wrote.

Leaving aside badmemory's rather impudent comment, does this mean your original complaint was about stage pension age equalisation...? It's never been possible for someone to take their state pension early due to ill health (or indeed some other reason), partly due to its peculiar status ('contributory benefit').
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,341 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Assuming that you were born in 1956, then you would have known from your late thirties that your SPA would not be 60.

You would have expected age 65 which has changed to age 66.

Presumably you made such private provision as was open to you in your circumstances?

As you are too ill to work, presumably you have explored the possibility of ill health benefits - ESA/PIP?

With regard to pension credit, the age of entitlement to claim is increasing with female SPA.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS48_Pension_Credit_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true
  • ipri
    ipri Posts: 649 Forumite
    He has a superannuation pension NHS...like me.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ipri wrote: »
    He has a superannuation pension NHS...like me.

Your wires are getting cross then - assuming he was in the NHS scheme for the majority of his time working here, then his state pension will very likely be the protected amount under the old rules, since under the new rules it would be a lot less given all the contracting-out.

Or, in other words - you're confusing the 2016 changes with those made nearly a decade before which reduced the number of qualifying years for a full basic state pension to 30. Even then he wouldn't be getting the new single tier however, just what he would got before...
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ipri wrote: »
    Will people who get the new SP not be a source of resentment from those who , if I'm correct, will receive less?

Resentment festers whatever the facts. The Bible is very sound when it cautions against coveting, but few pay any heed.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2016 at 11:13PM
    I belong to the group of people who were hit the hardest by the last pension reforms.
    That would make you a man.

The reason men are most affected by the recent change is that the year added to state pension ages affects men more because men's life expectancies are usually lower than women's. As a result the average effect is men receiving a larger reduction in their lifetime sate pension payments than women.
    I can no longer retire for another 6 years, (collect my state pension)
    But that would imply that you are a woman, not a man, so were not among the group most badly affected by the recent change. Except that a life limiting condition which means you expect not to reach state pension age makes that moot for you whether you're a man, woman or neither.

There was an earlier change due to gender discrimination cases compelling a change in law and just the plain injustice fixing of unequal state pension ages between men and women. That one dates from 1995 and provided for the state pension age for women to be gradually increased between April 2010 and April 2020. We're in that equalisation timeframe now, with the inequality between men and women in state pension age gradually being removed. There was a very extensive information campaign in the mass media and even personal statements with the new ages sent to everyone affected, using the latest address information held by HMRC. Changes were made faster along with a further delay with the 2010 Act, though there was a substantial and costly slowing down of the rate for many women compared to the original proposal.
    I would love to be in receipt of my state pension which would have been around the £276 a week stated.
    You're not affected at all by the change that the original post here was about. That's the change from a state pension linked to earnings to a flat rate one at about £155 a week maximum, however many years a person works. Those entitled to more under the older rules like you continue to get the older rules level.

You would get the full flat rate with triple lock and the extra above the flat rate cap level will be inflation-linked only. This is a higher amount covered by the triple lock than before, it used to be only the lower basic state pension portion, so you actually could expect a higher overall state pension than previously if you were going to live long enough for it to matter.

If you were working during 2015-16 your state pension level won't be available until around November or December this year because that's when the 2015-16 earnings are included. If you weren't working that year the ones now should be OK.

Sorry to read about your life limiting illness and I hope that yours progresses as well as possible so that you can enjoy your remaining time as much as possible.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks for your reply, jamesd.

I thought the "older" rules no longer applied, but i suspect it's only a matter of time before they are abolished in more pension reforms and likely before i reach pension age, in any case?

It's frustrating to be in this position, as I've worked hard all my life and even expected to continue working after retirement, but you never know what curve ball is going to be thrown at you. I try to get through each day the best i can and live in the moment, accepting that's the best i can hope to achieve. It's all about refocusing and acceptance. However, my life would have been made somewhat easier without the pension reforms and i know there are others in a similar position.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Once the foundation amounts from April 2016 are calculated there won't be any old rules calculations, except for things like correcting mistakes. That doesn't matter because the old rules calculation is one of the two used to get to the foundation amount, old rules and new rules, you get the higher of the two calculations. Then from 6 April 2016 it's just the new rules used to calculate increases beyond the foundation amount.

The inflation only increases to the portion above the flat rate cap is what will gradually reduce the value of amounts above the flat rate. But this isn't any extra loss because that's also the inflation linking used under the old rules.

Sadly life does have some curve balls. Best we can do is wish you well and hope that we get less unfortunate curve balls heading in our own directions.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    There will be loads of recalculating of foundation amounts right up until April 2023, the cut off date for purchasing 2006 - 2016 missing years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure