Why aren't advance fares refundable?

I booked an advance single through East Mids Trains' website for the from 20.37 CHU to ALF this evening (Tues) changing at Stockport. The first leg was cancelled, making it impossible to reach Alfreton by any subsequent train. When I went to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/72098.aspx , I was stunned to discover this illogical discrimination. Surely it can't be correct?

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's probably to stop speculative purchases of advanced fares. If they could be refunded, unscrupulous 'entrepreneurs' would buy all the available tickets and auction them off, then return any unsold ones for a refund.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • I think you can still get a refund as it's their fault - have you contacted East Midlands Trains?
    If your train is cancelled or delayed and you choose not to travel, you are entitled to a full refund.
    If you decide not to travel for another reason, you can usually get a refund less the cost of an admin fee (maximum £10).
    Some tickets, such as Advance fares, are not refundable.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2016 at 11:11AM
    elverson wrote: »
    I think you can still get a refund as it's their fault - have you contacted East Midlands Trains?
    Well it's not their fault, the 20.54 from SPT to ALF EMT service ran AFAIK. I contacted EMT and they said this was the reason they would not refund me. So I complained to Northern Trains where a very unhelpful CA said they would only refund their portion (3 miles!) Although I told her twice this was the last train of the day, the idiot kept asking me how long the delay was. When I eventually said it's been 4¾ hours and I'll stop counting when the first train leaves Wednesday morning, she said I was being sarcastic and would end the conversation unless I showed her some respect!
    On the terms you quoted, it reads as though the bit you have emboldened doesn't apply to advance fares.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't see what EMT's portion of the journey running has to do with it, they sold you a ticket for the entire journey that it was not possible for you to use, so the refund should come from them. It's basic consumer law, the seller is responsible.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't see what EMT's portion of the journey running has to do with it, they sold you a ticket for the entire journey that it was not possible for you to use, so the refund should come from them. It's basic consumer law, the seller is responsible.
    That's just what I thought. Can anyone else confirm they are wrong?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's just what I thought. Can anyone else confirm they are wrong?

No-one is wrong. You read a rule stating that such tickets are not refundable under normal circumstances, but this rule does not apply when the service is not operated. You can of course get a refund.
  • No-one is wrong. You read a rule stating that such tickets are not refundable under normal circumstances, but this rule does not apply when the service is not operated. You can of course get a refund.
    I was talking about EMT's CSs, who Agrinnall and I think are wrong.
  • No doubt you have a copy of the itinerary issued with your ticket, and it is easy to show that the train in question was cancelled, I just looked it up on myself.
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y22821/2016/09/13/advanced
    Back to EMT for another debate, or maybe a written letter would be better.
  • You can definitely get a refund for this.
  • Why aren't advance fares refundable?

Coz they get away with it. Its the same reason that a train ticket London to Scotland is £1000?..... coz they can get away with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure