how to stop dog licking sore- Update, finally healed

Comments

• boldaslove
    boldaslove Posts: 323 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    in my experience the 'lampshade' is the only way. i feel awful using them but if it helps the wound heal quicker then it's better for everyone involved. you can make it a little more pleasant by giving your dog treats and a big fuss whenever you put on the collar.

i was at the vet yesterday and had a quick chat with him about licking (my dog has a sore on her foot and a skin tag on her pad, she's fussing over them quite a bit at the moment). his opinion was it can be beneficial, it can actually stop minor bleeding apparantly, but if it's constant it can actually slow the healing process and may lead to infection.... we all know how dogs get their mouths everywhere don't we :eek:
  • zebidee1
    zebidee1 Posts: 991 Forumite
    It is not an old Wives tale and in no way whatsoever will a dog licking its own wounds introduce bacteria.

Just passing on what I was told today so dont shoot the messenger :D , but our pooch has a sore on the side of his bits. :o It started off as a small pinky/reddish patch but within days it grew, got inflamed and is now infected and needed antibiotics.

Vet sad his licking wasn't good and caused a small skin problem to escalate. We were told to always try to distract him to stop him licking if this were to happen again.
  • Any suggestions folks of anything that i could do to discourage her

I found that the only thing that stops my dog biting or overlicking is lavender essential oil applied straight (not mixed with any oil) onto the area of skin or fur that you want him to leave alone. (I guess that it is because he doesn't like the sensation of the lavender oil evaporating but using tea tree oil isn't nearly as effective.) Lavender and tea tree are the only two essential oils that are safe to use undiluted on the skin. It also makes my dog smell nice!

I do have an "Elizabethan collar" but my dog absolutely hates it and charges up and down the flat, knocking against things in his attempt to tear the collar off.
    YouGov: £50 and £50 and £5 Amazon voucher received;
    PPI successfully reclaimed: £7,575.32 (Lloyds TSB plc); £3,803.52 (Egg card); £3,109.88 (Egg loans)
  • Title says it all, i'm so fed up now.
    just left Jess at the vets again for an overnight stay, removal of her tightrope sutre as it looks like its infected , biopsies to find out how far and deep her infection is and then home on wednesday.

This is her 4th op in 7 months, first a TTA repair for her cruciate ligament, then repeat exploratory op to see why she was still limping, then referal to consultant at liverpool small animal hosp, another op to put in tight rope sutre to fix the instability in her cruiate that the first 2 ops hadnt helped. She has then had a wound infection leaking thick green pus for 7 weeks which hasnt got better dispite large doeses of antibiotics and me changing her horrid dressing 3 times a day.

Today back to liverpool and he wants to keep her there and explore and remove tomorrow and try to find out the sourse of this deep seated infection.

someone just give me a hug please and offer some words to cheer me up.. only got £600 left on her insuranse policy as well so will shortly be paying as well :cry:
  • pinkemsy
    pinkemsy Posts: 350 Forumite
    So sorry you have this problem. I know exactly how you feel as I'm in a similar position with my own dog. My fingers are crossed for you!
  • Penny_Watcher
    Penny_Watcher Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Look out - here it comes
    ((((((((HUGS))))))))

We're only 8 weeks into Big Black Dog's accidental new trapdoor incident and it seems to have been going on for years! He's looks daft without his buster collar on now. We went through a patch when every Friday he stayed at the vets for some procedure or other that needed an anaesthetic.

Having said that we can almost see daylight now :) . He can now go on decent walks since we've found him a neoprene vest to protect his ribcage. I'm am sooooo there with you on the stinky dressing thing. Oh Lord the smell _pale_.

You will get there eventually honey. It's just a real grind whilst it's going on.

So keep your chin up chuck - she'll get there in the end.

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So sorry to hear that Jess is still in the wars....

My rottie had 3 ops in 3 months (cruciate repair) and an infection in the bone after.....but 13 months on you wouldn't even know that he'd ever had a problem!!!! I can see that he doesn't have the length of stride that he used to but to 99% of people he looks totally normal especially as the hair on his back legs has finally grown back properly:D

There is light at the end of the tunnel but I do remember what a horrible time the whole episode was so ((((((HUGS))))))

Let us know how she gets on.
  • Thank you everyone, its makes me feel better knowing that we will get through this eventually, just feels like we are putting her through so much when all she had was a slight limp to start with.

And i needed those hugs:grouphug:
  • Penny_Watcher
    Penny_Watcher Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Here's a little something for you cocoluvsmummy. :)

First piccy is taken 3 1/2 years ago, 3 days after Daft Dog argued with a car, lost, and smashed to bits the bones between her 'knee' and 'ankle'. Underneath the big red bandage is a metal frame with bolts going sideways through her bones. Not nice at all. If she hadn't gone to the experts she would have been Daft Dog the Tripod Dog :eek: :rolleyes:.

SV400026.jpg

Dozy smile on her face comes from the industrial quantities of painkiller she had to take.

A couple of months later we had moved on a bit. ('Scuse my mucky floor :o)

frame.jpg

This one was taken the following Summer. No scars, no limp, no nothing :T

3rd.jpg

Jess is still at photo # 1. stage bless her little cotton socks :grouphug:. She will get better, or she'll have her Aunty Penny to answer to!!!

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • Shes back home, feeling sorry for herself, leg bandaged up. They have taken swobs and tissue samples from all over the polace in her knee joint, it looks like the joint is infected. Vets thinks its probably MRSA we are now waiting for the results of the microbiology tests back early next week then she can start on the correct treatment.

Have now reached my insurance limit (and over it by around £800)and unfortunatly its a lifetime poilicy so in one respect it looks good that you can claim for the lifetime of an illness..unfortunatly we have reached the condition limit so thats it up to us now.. and we havent even started on a new course of stronger antibiotics... aaaggghhh don't want to even think about that one.

OH well have to look on the positve side.. jess is home and maybe one day she will be able to come for a walk again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure