Claiming JobSeekers but employed part time

Hi, basically I am claiming job seekers allowance and I have declared that I am employed part time and told job centre the circumstances of my current employment means that the hours are not fixed each week which results in me not having a consistent enough wage each month. The job that I do is a safety steward at football matches. My problem is that I no longer wish to do anymore shifts for this company as I can choose when to do shifts etc but I got a call from work asking if I was available to which I replied saying 'no I'm not'. Would my workplace notify job centre that I have said I'm not available for work on a Saturday. In the mean time I am obviously looking for work frantically before I start university and don't see no point in staying with the current company that I am employed with.

What I am worried about is that my workplace, the guy that had rung me might tell job centre plus that I had said no to working this Saturday. Any advice?

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Hi, basically I am claiming job seekers allowance and I have declared that I am employed part time and told job centre the circumstances of my current employment means that the hours are not fixed each week which results in me not having a consistent enough wage each month. The job that I do is a safety steward at football matches. My problem is that I no longer wish to do anymore shifts for this company as I can choose when to do shifts etc but I got a call from work asking if I was available to which I replied saying 'no I'm not'. Would my workplace notify job centre that I have said I'm not available for work on a Saturday. In the mean time I am obviously looking for work frantically before I start university and don't see no point in staying with the current company that I am employed with.

What I am worried about is that my workplace, the guy that had rung me might tell job centre plus that I had said no to working this Saturday. Any advice?

You say job is a safety steward at football matches.

As I understand it, Saturday is a very common day to play football. Why do you not wish to work Saturday?
  • Wywth wrote: »
    You say job is a safety steward at football matches.

As I understand it, Saturday is a very common day to play football. Why do you not wish to work Saturday?

I have Mum to look after as she's really ill and on top like I have mentioned there's not much work and with me living down Manchester in September for university it makes sense not to bother working for my current employer and find work that is down Manchester.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    I have Mum to look after as she's really ill and on top like I have mentioned there's not much work and with me living down Manchester in September for university it makes sense not to bother working for my current employer and find work that is down Manchester.
    I'm sorry to hear your mum is not well currently. It is nice to know that you are prepared to give up your time to look after her during her present illness.

Presumably if you are busy looking after your mum currently, then you are not available for any employment at present. Have you informed the authorities of this?

Who will look after your mum come September?

You can find more information at www.adviceguide.org.uk or contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 08454 040506
  • Wywth wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear your mum is not well currently. It is nice to know that you are prepared to give up your time to look after her during her present illness.

Presumably if you are busy looking after your mum currently, then you are not available for any employment at present. Have you informed the authorities of this?

Who will look after your mum come September?

Basically during the week I'm finding work and applying for different jobs that are during the weekdays and not weekends as Mum really wants me to stay with her at home during the weekend. And after September my two brothers will most likely takeover and my sister as Mum has been diagnosed with Lupus (I hope I spelt that right).

I told Mum about what happened with the manager ringing to ask if I was available for work on the weekend and I said to him no that I ain't available but do you think he will tell job centre?
  • Basically during the week I'm finding work and applying for different jobs that are during the weekdays and not weekends as Mum really wants me to stay with her at home during the weekend. And after September my two brothers will most likely takeover and my sister as Mum has been diagnosed with Lupus (I hope I spelt that right).

I told Mum about what happened with the manager ringing to ask if I was available for work on the weekend and I said to him no that I ain't available but do you think he will tell job centre?

And then also during the weekdays when I am outside applying for jobs/interviews etc. if Mum needs me to come home, I'll quickly go home see what she needs then back out again.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative

Dear Shazzyman,

We are not able to say whether or not your employer will inform Job Centre of your non attendance however, Job centre may conduct their own checks.

It is a condition of JSA that you must be available for work at any time, on any day of the week however, you maybe able to place restrictions on your availability but this should have been agreed at an interview when you first made a claim for JSA.

For further information on JSA and sanctions please click on the following link:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_benefits_in_work_or_looking_for_work_ew/benefits_for_people_looking_for_work.htm#hardship_payments_and_jobseekers_allowance

Kind regards,

Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I can't answer questions about claims, but I do advise your whole family to look carefully at the care needed; if you haven't contact your Local Authority for an assessment and look at what benefits / help your mum is entitled to. Otherwise you all risk being in a dreadful tangle!
    Lupus is a very difficult disease because of its intermittent relapses & remissions but there is a Lupus Society that can help with with explaining this.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As Birmingham CAB have said, you are allowed to claim JSA while looking for suitable work, and can specify that jobs at particular times are not suitable. It is important that you let your Jobcentre know that you are unable to accept jobs that involve weekend working, unpredictable shifts and so forth, and that this fact is recorded in your Jobseeker's agreement.

I think it unlikely that your employer would bother to contact the DWP about a single shift, and in any case I doubt whether refusing to work one shift offered at short notice would lead to a "sanction". So I don't think you need worry about this.
  • jackyann wrote: »
    I can't answer questions about claims, but I do advise your whole family to look carefully at the care needed; if you haven't contact your Local Authority for an assessment and look at what benefits / help your mum is entitled to. Otherwise you all risk being in a dreadful tangle!
    Lupus is a very difficult disease because of its intermittent relapses & remissions but there is a Lupus Society that can help with with explaining this.

To be honest with you we as a family have got used to mum being diagnosed ever since I was born mum had been diagnosed with it. Till this day still haven't got to grips as to how dangerous this is but as a family we cope with it perfectly fine just at times mum can be in really bad pain etc so being there for her in really important even at really awkward times of the week when I should be doing something other than looking after mum but hey that's life isn't it.
  • As Birmingham CAB have said, you are allowed to claim JSA while looking for suitable work, and can specify that jobs at particular times are not suitable. It is important that you let your Jobcentre know that you are unable to accept jobs that involve weekend working, unpredictable shifts and so forth, and that this fact is recorded in your Jobseeker's agreement.

I think it unlikely that your employer would bother to contact the DWP about a single shift, and in any case I doubt whether refusing to work one shift offered at short notice would lead to a "sanction". So I don't think you need worry about this.

That brings some sort of relief to me but I wouldn't be surprised if my area manager has told job centre. He's a bit a egomaniac and wants power power power... But yeah I will let job centre know about the fact that I can't work random shifts each week as it's not suitable and require hours that are guaranteed each week on the same days so that I know when to prepare for work etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure