PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lidl pizza trays

Lidl are selling these at the moment. Has anyone tried them? I like the space saving idea (my oven only has two shelves ). However I wonder if they are too close together and you would end up with soggy pizzas because there's not enough room for the air to circulate. I have a gas oven, might be different in a fan oven.
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=3838

Thanks

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've got pizza trays similar to that but only 2 and they are slightly further apart. They work quite well.

If you decide to get them, try them as they are and if the pizza bases are a bit soggy then try using top and bottom ones only.

Denise
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They're solving a problem most people won't have. One ~10" pizza serves two, so for most people just buying another shelf, or even using a cooling rack on the botton, would suit their needs.

The rack would also only suit pizzas of a certain size.

So, if you're feeding 6-8 people with a pizza of one size, they might work .... for everybody else there'd be an easier/cheaper solution without taking up cupboard space with that rack.

One 14" pizza serves four people, so that'd only require one shelf too.
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They're solving a problem most people won't have. One ~10" pizza serves two, so for most people just buying another shelf, or even using a cooling rack on the botton, would suit their needs.

The rack would also only suit pizzas of a certain size.

So, if you're feeding 6-8 people with a pizza of one size, they might work .... for everybody else there'd be an easier/cheaper solution without taking up cupboard space with that rack.

One 14" pizza serves four people, so that'd only require one shelf too.

Nobody in our house has ever had half a pizza! :rotfl:

I have just bought one. I am disappointed that it doesn't quite fit in the microwave (panasonic slimline) but it should save a bit of space in the oven so I can shove something else in too.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Nobody in our house has ever had half a pizza!
    Blimey - if you read the label it says on a 10" one "one portion is ½ a pizza" .... on exceptional times I have tried to get through a whole one, but it's really way too much.

Also, with a half, you can have other things on the plate. If you're force-feeding yourself a whole one there's no option for sides!

I usually just eat a half. My sibling and I bought a 14" pizza some months ago as that's about the same volume as two 10" ones but a lot cheaper. We both ate for two meals with that one 14" one.... and my sibling does love to "put it away" to use a polite phrase for "bit of a pig"
  • honeythewitch
    Blimey - if you read the label it says on a 10" one "one portion is ½ a pizza" .... on exceptional times I have tried to get through a whole one, but it's really way too much.

Also, with a half, you can have other things on the plate. If you're force-feeding yourself a whole one there's no option for sides!

I usually just eat a half. My sibling and I bought a 14" pizza some months ago as that's about the same volume as two 10" ones but a lot cheaper. We both ate for two meals with that one 14" one.... and my sibling does love to "put it away" to use a polite phrase for "bit of a pig"

I admit that if you make them yourself, as i usually do, they are less filling than the shop ones which seem to have huge thick bases and not enough toppings, but one of my boys regularly eats a 14 inch shop bought one with chips and he is actually underweight. :D

:o I can get halfway round a 14 incher myself!
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nobody in our house has ever had half a pizza! :rotfl:

I have just bought one. I am disappointed that it doesn't quite fit in the microwave (panasonic slimline) but it should save a bit of space in the oven so I can shove something else in too.
    Do you mean you've bought a pizza or one of the Lidl tray sets? I'm assuming you mean pizza as you couldn't put the trays in a microwave could you?
  • Grumpysally
    Anyway I've decided against it as my cupboard is already stacked out and I don't think it could cope with even a wafer thin tray.
  • honeythewitch
    AlisonW wrote: »
    Do you mean you've bought a pizza or one of the Lidl tray sets? I'm assuming you mean pizza as you couldn't put the trays in a microwave could you?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I bought the set of trays. My microwave is also a convection oven and it would have been handy to cook them in that sometimes.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    They're solving a problem most people won't have.
    Well put. I can see why people might think they are handy for parties etc when pizza disappears as soon as it emerges from an oven, but £8 or so for 3 trays, really?

The single vented pizza trays from Poundland work perfectly well, no soggy bottoms ;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Grumpysally
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I bought the set of trays. My microwave is also a convection oven and it would have been handy to cook them in that sometimes.

Of course, I had forgotten about combination microwaves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure