Options

Comments

• Sue58
    Sue58 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 June 2017 at 2:29PM
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with mixing fund types within a portfolio as long as overall it gets you the exposure to different types of returns that you are looking at.

The Artemis and Woodford funds you mention are focused on delivering a high level of income so will be at one end of the 'income versus growth' scale. Personally I wouldn't put the other two funds right at the other end of that scale. Really they are just a mix of growth and income with the overall prospects of the portfolio company being the important driver of whether it's bought or not.

So particularly regarding my global exposure (and assuming I want this to be the growth part of my portfolio), if I already hold Fundsmith for (income & growth) would it be reasonable to hold a more 'out and out' growth fund that includes more technology etc and that differs to Fundsmith for instance Henderson Global Growth, Baillie Gifford Global Select or Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust?
  • MPN
    MPN Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sue58 wrote: »
    So particularly regarding my global exposure (and assuming I want this to be the growth part of my portfolio), if I already hold Fundsmith for (income & growth) would it be reasonable to hold a more 'out and out' growth fund that includes more technology etc and that differs to Fundsmith for instance Henderson Global Growth, Baillie Gifford Global Select or Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust?

I have held Henderson Global Growth and its a very good global growth fund but quite high risk (25% technology), however, it has performed consistently well over the past 10 years and the manager Ian Warmerdam has been in place since 2009.

If your interested in other technology holding funds then Scottish Mortgage IT or Old Mutual Global Equity are alternatives to the Henderson fund. The Baillie Gifford Global Select is also quite technology based however it has only been around for the past 3 years although the performance is impressive. The main problem with these type of growth funds imho is that they will drop more significantly than income or income & growth funds in a downturn.
  • Sally57
    Sally57 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options

If you want more technology then Scottish Mortgage IT would work well with Fundsmith if you fancy an IT in your portfolio instead of an OEIC?
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

If you already hold Fundsmith is it really necessary to hold another global fund or IT?

Surely, if you like Terry Smith and agree with his philosophy and strategy then that should be enough. He strongly believes that the type of companies he invests in will have less of a downturn in a crash and will also recover more quickly than the index, however because his fund has not experienced a crash yet we don't know if he is right.

You mentioned you would like a fund with more technology to run alongside Fundsmith so it would be interesting to check out how Henderson Global Growth and Scottish Mortgage IT fared during the last crash in 2008/2009 and how long it took them to recover compared to other global funds?
  • Sue58
    Options
    StellaN wrote: »
    If you already hold Fundsmith is it really necessary to hold another global fund or IT?

Surely, if you like Terry Smith and agree with his philosophy and strategy then that should be enough. He strongly believes that the type of companies he invests in will have less of a downturn in a crash and will also recover more quickly than the index, however because his fund has not experienced a crash yet we don't know if he is right.

You mentioned you would like a fund with more technology to run alongside Fundsmith so it would be interesting to check out how Henderson Global Growth and Scottish Mortgage IT fared during the last crash in 2008/2009 and how long it took them to recover compared to other global funds?

How can I check out the Henderson and Scottish Mortgage funds over the past 10 years because it seems that Trustnet only gives performance figures over the past 5 years?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    How can I check out the Henderson and Scottish Mortgage funds over the past 10 years because it seems that Trustnet only gives performance figures over the past 5 years?

Under the chart click on "create a custom chart of this fund's performance".
    Scottish Mortgage's chart can go back to Jan 95 for example if you select a large date range. If you add other things to the chart (eg other funds, indexes or industry benchmarks) which don't go back as far, it will restrict what date range is shown.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options

As Bowlhead says you can get a lot of performance data from the Trustnet charting tool. Also if you click "custom table" at the top of the search results listings you can get it to display 10 year data.
  • Sue58
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Under the chart click on "create a custom chart of this fund's performance".
    Scottish Mortgage's chart can go back to Jan 95 for example if you select a large date range. If you add other things to the chart (eg other funds, indexes or industry benchmarks) which don't go back as far, it will restrict what date range is shown.

Thank you Bowlhead for this information.

WOW Scottish Mortgage is very impressive over the past 10 years and Henderson Global Growth is also very good!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you Bowlhead for this information.

WOW Scottish Mortgage is very impressive over the past 10 years and Henderson Global Growth is also very good!

We have been in one of the longest bull markets in history though so compare performance to an appropriate index to see what added value there may be.

We are just getting to the point where the gfc is a decade ago, how long these 'abnormal' conditions will continue is anyone's guess.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also bear in mind that SMT holds a lot of tech which has enjoyed spectacular gains in recent years trading on incredible earnings multiples, some might say Alice in Wonderland in the case of Amazon which accounts for 10% of SMT, all being compounded by favourable exchange rates.

It might well continue but when the tide does eventually turn, which it must at some point, then things could possibly all head in the other direction in an equally spectacular fashion.

By all means hold SMT if it appeals and fits but don't get seduced by the 10 year chart.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure