FHTB - extenuating circumstances

Hi, I've been relying on applying for the FHTB scheme to purchase a family home ahead of me signing off in a couple of years time. My mortgage advisor called today to double check that I will eligible for the FHTB when I already own a property. I've checked the JSP and I'm not 100% sure!

I own a 1 bedroom flat in a different part of the country to where we are settling. The family of 4 wouldn't fit in it (obviously) and it's no where near family. I'd be happy to put it on the market but there is no way it would sell in time plus it would leave us in a significant amount of debt because of the housing market climate in the area. The reason we are moving up North is so that my disabled son can be nearer to family and so that we can have some support (at last!). Does this qualify as extenuating circumstances? Who decides? I wasn't sure if it was the 50 mile thing that could be overruled by things like this or could it be the second property thing also?

Comments

• As this post is a few months old it would be interesting to see how you got on with it?

My thoughts on the post itself...I was sure it (FHTB) only qualified for a first time buy only?

Also is the flat mortgage free? This would have effects on the mortgage application plus the fact that you are due to sign off soon and will be losing regular good income. You need to take this into account greatly.

Lastly, as for extenuating circumstances, it would be the help to buy company you would speak to.

Let us know how you got on for future reference? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure