PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deeds not transferred on leasehold garage, owner missing!

Comments

• GDB2222 wrote: »
    I don't see a conflict. As long as you are satisfied that they are doing their best to sort it out, I'd say to stay with them. I'm not even sure that it's their responsibility in the first place, so I'd do all I can to keep them on your side.

I am very confident that they are trying their best, it's not the original individual that I used, but another person and he has been very communicative and helpful. It is partly their responsibility, they didn't do the searches in enough depth and when there was a query with the garage they didn't follow up that line of enquiry. But they are trying their best now :).
    Thanks
  • dizzybee001
    dizzybee001 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Update!
    My solicitor has submitted a request to the Land Registry with one of the original owners signatures on, the Land Registry have replied to him that because of the complexity of the situation they need to consult one of their lawyers. They have said that they can't expedite the query because it is so complicated.
    So, I have no idea how long it will take for their lawyers to have a look and come back to us.
    The buyer is now putting pressure on me as to when this will be resolved (quite rightly), and it looks as if they may walk away, although they have had their survey done and got their mortgage application prepared so they would have to start again with another property.
    I am so frustrated, can anyone give me any idea how long the solicitors may take at the Land Registry?
    Thanks all,
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP, I'm sorry to hear that this is still not resolved. The Land Registry rep is very helpful and hopefully will be back soon. It may be worth emailing them at the address they gave earlier to ask?

In other posts the LR rep has talked of solicitors being able to contact them to expedite urgent matters.

Why has it taken two months to apply to the LR?
  • dizzybee001
    Hi Martin

I didn't email because my solicitor was getting in touch with them, and I didn't' want to complicate matters, in hindsight maybe I should have.
    It took two months, because the original owners solicitor had to get the original sales files out of storage and look at a court order that was made when the house was sold. He was really slow and when he finally got back to us there was no court order, just confirmation that the original owner's ex partner signed with a court officer as a witness (she is the one that may have to be traced).
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Nothing useful to add but feel for you as have been in the same situation
  • dizzybee001
    kirtondm wrote: »
    Nothing useful to add but feel for you as have been in the same situation

Sorry to hear that, did it take long to sort out?
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    check out my original reply : )

It delayed by2.3 monthes but I had a lot of help from the solicitors who had sold the flat originally think it helped that all the solitiors involved were in a small town and knew each other.

Neither of my vendors could be traced and in the end the vendors solicitors submitted a statement to the land registry basically taking responsibility that the garage had been intended in the purchase which was accepted by the land registry.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 May 2017 at 3:34PM
    Update!
    My solicitor has submitted a request to the Land Registry with one of the original owners signatures on, the Land Registry have replied to him that because of the complexity of the situation they need to consult one of their lawyers. They have said that they can't expedite the query because it is so complicated.
    So, I have no idea how long it will take for their lawyers to have a look and come back to us.
    The buyer is now putting pressure on me as to when this will be resolved (quite rightly), and it looks as if they may walk away, although they have had their survey done and got their mortgage application prepared so they would have to start again with another property.
    I am so frustrated, can anyone give me any idea how long the solicitors may take at the Land Registry?
    Thanks all,

Unfortunately such referrals do take time although it is not the complexity that is normally the issue here but the number of applications/enquiries that need to be considered.

This reads as if it is all a balance of risk as well as how it would be viewed legally so we do have to rely on our own legal advice, one of our own lawyers, to decide on the issue as presented. It is in essence a replicaiton of what the buyer and seller's own solicitors have done as well but it is looked at from a different angle by each.

It will be considered as quickly as possible so hopefully a response/decision will be made shortly and I would not expect it to take longer than 10 working days
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dizzybee001
    Hi thanks for all the advice, still holding on for an answer, the buyer has told us we need to give them a timescale by this Friday which I don't think willl happen!
    He has also said that he will need to move into temporary rental accommodation, and he would expect us to pay £900 a month towards this!!
    We will wait and see ......

Kirtondm, thank you as well, really appreciate your help.

Will keep you posted .........
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi thanks for all the advice, still holding on for an answer, the buyer has told us we need to give them a timescale by this Friday which I don't think willl happen!
    He has also said that he will need to move into temporary rental accommodation, and he would expect us to pay £900 a month towards this!!
    We will wait and see ......

Kirtondm, thank you as well, really appreciate your help.

Will keep you posted .........
    If they pull out they won't buy somewhere else by Friday! They have been foolish to arrange to leave where they are before exchange. Hopefully the estate agent will tell the buyers that it will take as long as it takes and let them calm down.

Of course if they need to rent it will cost them some money but this is set off against what they would need to pay for the mortgage.

Hope it works out in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport