£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• rawr_
    rawr_ Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Hello, I just wanted to say hello. I discovered your thread yesterday and have been reading a long. I think you have done amazingly well so far, have subscribed to see how you get on.
    Arsenalbarnie ooh, we used to have soya protein all the time when I was little, my stepdad used to make curry with it. None in the zero waste shop, but I bet I can track some down sans plastic.

I buy my soya protein from T*sco - it's on the same place as all the beans and pulses. I also agree with Honeybug - lentils are great for bolognese too, and for bulking out other meals! Pasta is also a brilliant versatile dish, which can be so cheap.
    Biggest Comp Wins: Tour of Vietnam 2015 | Baby Rawr_ was born 16/03/20!
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    I've read that soaking / cooking with bicarb destroys Vitamin C - how much I don't know, but it may be worth taking into consideration. It's going to be a balance of cost, organics, vitamins and pesticides, somehow.

Vit C is water soluble and destroyed by heat anyway - anything over 70 degrees. Amazing we're not all deficient!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Day 1 one of three busy days out of the way. It's snowing lightly here at the moment and has settled, so I'm hoping tomorrow's client isn't postponed due to the weather - I'm driving there so it will depend whether we get snowed in, which seems unlikely.

Have just made ice cream. Not quite sure why I decided we needed homemade ice cream - I think one of the children mentioned it and I mindlessly went 'yeah, no problem'. It actually is no problem - I can make custard with my eyes shut and then it's just a case of chucking it in the ice cream making, but I feel sure it would have been easier (and cheaper) to just, you know, buy a tub of ice cream. Anyway, the point is that I have frozen the egg whites, as google assures me I can use them for meringues after freezing, which I am intrigued by, and I have no use for half a dozen egg whites just now. I will report back when I defrost them.

Three things to do today
    1. Sort charity/recycling stuff and load into car for DH to take later.
    2. Paint nails.
    3. Sort provisional childcare and email client re extra work.

Debt repayment:
    - £22.77/31 March rounding down pot.
    - £1,608.78/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Day 1 one of three busy days out of the way. It's snowing lightly here at the moment and has settled, so I'm hoping tomorrow's client isn't postponed due to the weather - I'm driving there so it will depend whether we get snowed in, which seems unlikely.

Have just made ice cream. Not quite sure why I decided we needed homemade ice cream - I think one of the children mentioned it and I mindlessly went 'yeah, no problem'. It actually is no problem - I can make custard with my eyes shut and then it's just a case of chucking it in the ice cream making, but I feel sure it would have been easier (and cheaper) to just, you know, buy a tub of ice cream. Anyway, the point is that I have frozen the egg whites, as google assures me I can use them for meringues after freezing, which I am intrigued by, and I have no use for half a dozen egg whites just now. I will report back when I defrost them.

Three things to do today
    1. Sort charity/recycling stuff and load into car for DH to take later.
    2. Paint nails.
    3. Sort provisional childcare and email client re extra work.

Debt repayment:

TOPM I made a pavlova recently (as a luxury pudding, well in our house anyway. Using frozen egg whites and it was perfect. Actually, they weren't even quite defrosted and I bashed them about a bit and it still worked. Some reports say that are better post freezing for meringues anyway. Alternatively they pad out whole eggs for omelettes, scrambled eggs etc...
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March 2018 at 6:31AM
    Week 57: Day 7

Well we have a whopping, oooh, 0.5cm of snow here, at a push. I think I'll probably make it out this morning. The forecast quantity of snow today has been downgraded a fair bit too, so I think I'll be fine coming home later too.

Nothing new on the financial front, just ticking along and trying to keep the numbers balancing, more or less - still in the same over-budgeted situation as a couple of days ago, although have knocked the shortfall down to £79 as I had too much in DH's train fare pot.

Out all day again so a somewhat unambitious to do list, although need to make something for DC1 and 2's packed lunches this week.

Three things to do today
    1. Make onion quiche or similar for packed lunches.
    2. Plan next week's work.
    3. Bake biscuits for clients tomorrow.

Debt repayment:
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Week 58: Day 1

Well yesterday went all kinds of wrong. I made it to my client's, but the snow started coming down in force and I had to abandon the session and head home, which took me about an hour (to go 7 miles). We've had loads of snow, and I don't think today's client is going to manage to get here today (her house has a very steep driveway). I'm going to offer to walk over there to her though, as she's only two miles away, and I think she has a knee or a hip problem so wouldn't be able to walk to me.

The DCs' school is closed, but luckily my parents made it down to visit before the worst of the snow hit and will look after them today.

No major spends to report, hopefully today will be another NSD as getting to the shops will be too much like hard work!

Menu plan for this week:
    mon - dhal with rice, flatbreads, leftover veg and mango chutney.
    tue - hm tomato soup and fresh bread.
    wed - mujadara and steamed veg.
    thu - leftover mackerel puttanesca.
    fri - leftovers of some description - I'll be by myself as DH taking the DC to visit relatives.
    sat - leek and potato soup (DH and DC still away, but I have clients).
    sun - noodle soup.
    breakfasts - porridge, french toast, granola and yoghurt.
    lunches - savoury muffins (in freezer), leftovers, onion quiche, roast veg and houmous.
    snacks - popcorn, biscuits, fruit, toast and jam.

If anyone has any good uses for leftover stale bread, I'm all ears! I always end up with one stale heel of my handmade loaves left, and I have been accumulating them in the freezer faster than I'm using them up.

Three things to do today
    1. Make onion quiche or similar for packed lunches (completely forgot this yesterday. Good thing there's no school!).
    2. Tidy house in case I am able to come back here with the client at some stage.
    3. make dal for dinner.

Debt repayment:
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    breadcrumbs as fruit pudding topping, veg gratin , ratatouille with lemon crust https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I always make bread and butter pudding with mine. Could you make croutons for the soup ?
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • Egg whites: coconut or almond macaroons. Coconut ones you can put in lunch boxes for school, which is a bonus. Breadcrumbs: lots of good suggestions above, also I haven't tried this, but I wonder if you could do a sort of summer pudding but with tinned fruit and sliced stale bread?

As an aside, do your reusable bread bags work? I bake my own bread as well and my ears pricked up at that idea.

I always feel like I'm reading about my own life, and the how-cheap-do-we-get-the-food-budget thing is one I struggle with a lot. My kids and husband prefer expensive meals. I am happy with lentil soup. I provide a balance, but I do sometimes think - you know, family meals, and savouring good food, are some of the true joys of life, and I want them to be some of the memories they take with them into adulthood. And it's just not true, I don't think, that they'll 'just remember the laughter'. They'll remember the meals they didn't like, as well, picking at root vegetable soup to find the flecks of bacon or whatever. I had a very happy childhood with a loving mum, but we were also grindingly poor for large swathes of time and that's what I remember about my childhood meals - no pudding for weeks except the huge sack of blancmange powder that got hauled down from the shelf, or gristly bits of lamb scrag in a stew bulked out with pearl barley and despair.

(Of course, she was also a dreadful cook, which didn't help!)

I'm not going to serve them what they want all the time either: they like sushi and oysters and pork ribs that sell for $30/kg and the expensive sausages, not the cheap ones, and they'll polish off an entire roast chicken if I put the whole thing on the table. But I agree that, if you have the option to do so, it's okay to stop somewhere before "well, their tummies are full".
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    This weather is totally weird. We have gorgeous sunshine in Cornwall and no snow. My son in laws office is in Devon about 15 miles away and the snow is so treacherous over there he turned round and came home.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback