Countdown to the big 4-0 - time to get my life in order!!!'

Comments

• Morning all!
    Start of a new financial month for us, so time for a quick update.....
    Cc1 was £1080 now £1031.40
    Cc2 was £669.52 now £1678.52
    Cc3 was £5006.20 now £4856.20
    O/D was £872 now £0
    Parents was £1050 now £950

Total was £8732.45 now £8516.12 (-£216.33)

Ok so it's heading in the right direction BUT I still feel disappointed with it as I know we haven't been as careful as we could / should be. However new month = new start.......

So I've done a money transfer to pay the O/D off , 0% til Feb 2019. Not the first time I've done this so really not very proud of myself, but determined to make it the last. Will reduce my O/D limit later today. Don't want to do away with it completely in case of absolute emergency, but there's no need for it to be that high.

On the Christmas front, we're almost there. I've made a list of fun things for us to do in the run up to Christmas - some involve £s some don't but I wanted to get a heads up of potential costs so that we can budget over the pre Christmas pay packets. Just my DS, Dad and bro in law to sort now present wise - the end is in sight!!!!

Right not really got a lot to say so I'm off before I start waffling!!!

Happy Monday x
  • Morning all!
    Just enjoying a bit of quiet time with a cuppa until DS decides the day is starting!!!!

Money wise all cc payments have gone out, so that's those done and dusted for another month. Being realistic, the chance of over paying will be slim this month. I want to get Christmas as sorted as we can and also our annual pass for the theme park is due for renewal at the end of the month. They usually do a Black Friday deal so I'm going to put any eBay profit to one side in the hope that by the end of the money it'll be covered. It's a luxury I know, but it saves me so much through the year. Rather than paying £5 a time for soft play we head over there as there's loads of soft play and so much more and it's only a 20 minute drive. Speaking of soft play, it's just reminded me we have a voucher for a free session at one of the local ones - must make sure we use it before it expires - freebie day out :j

Our wonderful energy suppliers have also decided to increase our DD by £60 per month:eek:
    Will be querying it as it seems rather excessive. Thankfully the new rate doesn't kick in til next month but even so I'm not impressed!

Today will be a spendy day as need to go and do the big shop. Will try and get most from Aldi, but there's a few bits I'll need to go elsewhere for. Will check my supermarket and see which has the best offers on what we need. I've done a rough meal plan for the next 2 weeks so will try and stick to that as much as possible. Need lots of nappies, wipes etc for DS, but have a load of boots coupons so will use them and hopefully save some £££s.

Need to post eBay bits today - £26 made so currently at £26 / £80 needed for our annual passes.

Right best get my shopping lists done before the wee one wakes :D
  • Eeek! Big shop done £151.80 spent!!! That is ridiculous. Fair enough we'd run out of store cupboard staples like beans, tinned tomatoes, pasta etc but even so it's still an obscene amount. Yes most of it is staples that will see the month out, so hopefully we'll just need fresh bits but I'm still shocked :eek:

Today will also be a spendy day as OH car goes in for MOT and service. Pleased to get it over and done with early in the month so we can cut our cloth accordingly. Fingers crossed for nothing major.

Two more eBay sales totalling £14 mean that one of the annual passes is covered :T lets see if I can cover the other by the end of next week - best get listing.

Had a thought for Christmas next year to try and help me save for it - I'm going to sit and budget out how much I want to spend on individuals. I've got some little money envelopes and will write each persons name on the front of one, then each month will pay into one or more of the envelopes. I could transfer the money into another bank account but find it too easy to transfer out again. This way I'll have the money available throughout the year when I see bargains. Will make sure the envelopes are locked away and forgotten about unless I'm paying in of course!

Better get up and get the ponies fed. Have a good day x
  • Fat lot of good crossing my fingers did! £700 later the car is fixed :eek: obviously had budgeted for some but not quite that much!!! Fortunately OH parents have offered to cover the shortfall - almost 40 and still running to the bank of mum and dad, it's not good. Need to get off this merry go round.

The annual pass savings is now upto £47.90 from eBay sales (seems kind of trivial in light of the above!) so just £32.10 to go.

Need to get Christmas out of the way and then draw a big fat line under this year. I've just gone round in circles debt wise constantly robbing peter to pay Paul. First goal for the year will be to get an emergency fund. Debt is never going to go away if we can't cover at least some of the unexpecteds without going into panic mode. Given that there's no council tax in Feb or March, there's £360 straight away. Be good to have £1k by end of March. Need to get disciplined!
  • I'm back (again!!!) - so Christmas has been and gone so time to draw that big fat line under this year! Last payments of the here have been made, so time for the annual summary...

Cc1 was £790.01 now £931.40 = +£1283.72
    Cc2 was £953.35 now £1578.52 = +£625.17
    Cc3 was £5570.44 now £4556.20= -£1014.54
    OD was £498.20 now £498.20 = £0 (weird!!!)
    Parents was £1450 now £700 = -£750

Total was £9262 now £8264.32 = £997.68

Not even £1k :mad:

Looking at my spreadsheet where I record everything, it looks like we had major blips in April (car insurance renewal - took my eye off the ball and they took the lump sum) and september (car mots plus holiday). Need to make sure we're prepared for these next year. The key is going to be getting that emergency fund set aside.

Weight - I don't even want to think about! I've not run in about 6 weeks and have eaten everything in sight! No excuses, just need to give myself a kick up the bum and get my running mojo back. I'm rejoining slimming world to get myself back on track.

Aims for Qtr 1 - pay off OD and have an emergency fund of £500 (£1k would be ideal but may be unrealistic).

Hope everyone has a great Boxing Day x
  • Popped into town yesterday to swap some pjs I'd been given for Christmas in the wrong size. Got refunded onto a giftcard and managed to find some in the sale, so I have the pjs and a £10 giftcard - bonus!!! Had a walk around the sales but didn't buy anything - so in theory came home £10 up!

I've got some Christmas money but want to put it to good use. We're in desperate need for storage for DS toys so will have a look for something suitable. Not exciting I know but it makes me feel better seeing things semi organised!

Today should have been OH payday but he got paid on 21st! So I've done all the monthly payments today. Always feel better once that's done.

A couple of eBay sales yesterday, so £17 transferred to the OD, it's now standing at £380.60 after monthly payments and eBay money have gone in.

Had an email from topcashback to say that the missing cashback claim I put in ages ago has been accepted. I currently have £123.00 confirmed and another £37 pending. Can't wait for that to be payable, it'll be a nice chunk towards the OD or emergency fund.

Planning for next Christmas has started :cool2: My list has been written, envelopes been set up (and the first ones paid into), Christmas cards bought in the sale and all excess gift bags and paper from this year stashed away safely. I've cashed my boots points in to buy a couple of Yankee candle gift sets in the sale, so these will start the pressie stash off nicely. I'm also planning on collecting 20ps and £2 coins throughout the year to help out too. This Christmas I was full of good intentions of being organised and making the most of the festive season, however I've still felt rushed and stressed. Wrapping has been a marathon chore and my Christmas cards just made last delivery! We did do some nice Christmas activities with DS which was lovely, however we didn't do as much as I'd have hoped, partly due to him being ill but in part also to me having a lot to do. Will nail it next year!!!

Anyway enough of my ramblings - have a good day x

Plan for today is food shop - need to do a quick stocktake first and a trip to IKEA to look at the storage units. Then it's back to work tomorrow (boo!)
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

Just read your diary and I've subscribed, so will be reading along and following your journey. Good luck.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • Hi Fmess :hello: great to have you along for the journey - I hope I don't bore you too much along the way!

So I've rejoined slimming world and have put 2 stone of the 3 stone I lost after having DS back on :mad: gutted but not unexpected. I've paid up for 12 weeks (12 weeks for the price of 10) out of my Christmas money. If I can be disciplined and aim for 2lb a week I'll pretty much be at target by the end of the 12 weeks - it's then free. Double incentive!!!

I've sat and done some eBay listings this morning before DS woke up, nothing of great value but every little helps.

Financially it's going to be a long month as although OH got paid 10 days ago there's still 4 weeks and a day until payday! Meal planning is going to be key I think in an effort to stopping us spending too much on food (our big weakness!)

Happy new year!!! Here's to a healthy, happy and frugal 2018 :beer:
  • Good morning!
    So the plan was an early start, get some eBay listings done and maybe go for a short run before DS woke up -ha no chance!!! I'd literally put the kettle on to make a cuppa and the wee man was wide awake!!!

Had a couple of eBay sales yesterday (£20ish) but having done a quick check of the budget, I think it's going to be a case of using any extra money to help with the extra week the money is going to have to stretch in January :mad:

Had another look at last years progress (or lack of it) and just feel so frustrated. I seem to spend half my life trying to get us out of this mess (and probably the other half getting us into it!) and feel so disheartened that the effort has pretty much gone to waste. It feels at the minute like life is almost on hold until this is sorted but life is too short. I'm determined that this won't impact DS and want to give him the best life possible. I've suggested to OH that we sit and write down lots of activities we can do as a family, stick them in a jar and pick one out each weekend. They'll be lots of free stuff in there and hopefully lots of memories made along the way. I must start living in the now more......
  • Happy Monday!
    Busy weekend, OH was working Saturday so it was just me and my boy. Day started with SW, then a trip into town and food shopping. Not terribly exciting but that's life!

SW lost 5lb! Really pleased with that so 5/28 :T

I also managed my first run in 2 months. I'm aiming to complete 1000k in 2018 (tried in 2017 but ended the year about 200k short :( ). It wasn't quick and it wasn't pretty but managed 4 miles without stopping or walking so I'm pleased with that! Takes me to 6.4 / 1000km - it's a start!

A few eBay sales over the weekend mean that budget is now just £30 short for the month. Should be fairly easy to sort. Think I've over budgeted for petrol and hopefully they'll be a few more eBay sales, so hopefully it'll be sorted.

Did treat myself to a new notebook to start my new bullet journal for the year. Is it sad that I'm really excited about this :rotfl: The plan is it'll keep me on track with every aspect of my life - finances, weight, exercise, housework, social and family, birthdays, Christmas etc - the list is endless!!!!

Right best go, got some eBay items to package up - have a great day x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport