Court citation in UK but serving in Germany. help please

My son is serving in the army, based in Germany.

This morning I've received a citation for him to appear in court in the UK as a witness for the prosecution. Because he was on leave when the incident happened he gave my address as that's where he was staying, and so that's where it seems he'll get travelling expenses from, so maybe a fiver vs the £200 ish it'll cost to get home. (Based on previous flights +train etc)

Is there any way to claim any of this money back? I'm sure he can't be the first squaddie this has happened to, is there some sort of special help for those serving in the forces? Or if anyone knows of some civvy support that would be great, thanks.

Oh and btw I don't routinely open his mail. I could see what it was from the envelope and opened it with him while on FaceTime. :)

It's only a game
~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    He / you need to contact the sender of the summons and discuss it with them. The summons was served to an address where he could reasonably be contacted and not necessarily his residence so there should be no problems getting expenses and maybe even an advance if they consider it worth the expense of bringing him back for the trial.
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you molerat. I'll let him know!

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills