The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,533 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks SusieSue good idea but my back garden would be too expensive I think to do it all. Also don't you have to hoover it or it start breaking down.

Estate agent wil claim on my insurance if no pay comes in and handle everything. DG is a housing solicitor so she'll know the steps so do I to be honest.

My eyes passed with flying colours nothing needs doing just normal eye tests every two years. All is fine and they will get better and as I get used to the mono vision. Will mean I don't need reading glasses in my 50's so worth it.

Going on a course back where I've just been this morning. DG was going but it's in my area as well so worth it need my CPD points too. Leaving soon so best get on with it. No news on jobs and not applied for any volunteering tomorrow so won't look again until Friday morning.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Thanks SusieSue good idea but my back garden would be too expensive I think to do it all. Also don't you have to hoover it or it start breaking down.

Yes, it is very expensive even if the garden is small but it was worth it for us. No, you don't have to hoover it, you just need to remove any leaves.

I hope you hear from your applications soon. At least the weather is good so you can make the most of your time off.
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Hi SuzieSue, who picks the leaves up? Can you rely on the tenant?

Great news about the eyes TG. Reading glasses are a real pain if you never wore then before. Certainly, I keep forgetting to put them on.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • SuzieSue
    Tahlullah wrote: »
    Hi SuzieSue, who picks the leaves up? Can you rely on the tenant?

Hi Tahlullah, we go there once a year in August for the gas safety check and boiler service and do it then as well as spraying weedkiller on the paths and around the edge of the artificial grass. But we don't have any large trees near the house and so it doesn't need to be done more often than that.

I also have artificial lawn at my own house and the back is fine, but the front gets quite a few leaves over the autumn/winter, so I have to remove them regularly otherwise the grass would have lots of bits of leaves in it and wouldn't look very nice, If this was a rental property then I would have to ask the tenant to remove the leaves but even if they didn't, it wouldn't destroy the grass unless the leaves were several layers deep - the grass just wouldn't look as nice close up.

The other problem I have here is that the local cats seem to love using it as a litter tray - but only the front, not the back (so far). So that isn't very pleasant as it tends to stick to the grass (sorry TMI!) and can be difficult to remove. Fortunately there aren't many cats where the rental property is so I don't have the same problem there.

We have had it for just over 3 years and although it isn't completely maintenance free for me, it is for the tenants and so they love it.
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Wow, never thought of animals pooing on it! Now you mention it, its obvious and clearly could be a problem.

As you say SuzieSue, low maintenance for the tenants, but any problem animals, it could be a nightmare! We have a sheepdog that comes by regularly and likes to leave its marker, probably because it can smell Rufus. Between him and the sheep that the farmer regularly loses in our back garden, the whole artificial grass thing would be too much.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Animals pooing on it is my first thought - I have three dogs. It's tragic what goes through pet owners' minds:rotfl:

I'm guessing it is good for landlords, but the stuff depresses me so much, so devoid of life:(.
  • SuzieSue
    Tahlullah wrote: »
    Wow, never thought of animals pooing on it! Now you mention it, its obvious and clearly could be a problem.

As you say SuzieSue, low maintenance for the tenants, but any problem animals, it could be a nightmare! We have a sheepdog that comes by regularly and likes to leave its marker, probably because it can smell Rufus. Between him and the sheep that the farmer regularly loses in our back garden, the whole artificial grass thing would be too much.

Yes, but you don't know what is going to happen until you put it down unfortunately. I used to get much more cat poo in my back garden before I put it down, but less in my front garden. So it depends on the whim of the animals.
  • SuzieSue
    bugslet wrote: »

I'm guessing it is good for landlords, but the stuff depresses me so much, so devoid of life:(.

Yes, but it is better than some alternatives. My neighbour paved over his back and front garden which is much worse for the environment.
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,533 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 June 2017 at 9:41AM
    Interesting conversation yes paving over a back garden is just too depressing I would definitely go with the fake grass if it was a small area would be good to practice golf on I bet.

Still nothing from agent a bit dressing job closes again Monday so might get in touch then if it's still advertised. Hate agencies but this guy did seem ok.

Volunteering yesterday really good had my first client really nice perfect client so easy too had everything I neede really great. Today engineer is coming to hopefully move phone line to new room so we can plug in rooter to TV and watch it without interruptions. Will be so much better though.

Meeting this afternoon in central London will need to leave at 12.30 so not too early. Look forward to seeing some familiar faces even if I hate introducing myself as unemployed. There will be people there from my last two jobs and others from my volunteering job.

Tenant still hasn't paid but I'm insured so just need to let the agents do their job they are inspecting on Monday so we shall await news.

Anyway best get dressed
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• SuzieSue
    Good that you have insurance. Do you pay separately for it or is it included in the agent's management fee?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure