More (draft or has it been submitted?) crookedness from Aviva and pals at Linklaters?

Comments

• fairleads
    fairleads Posts: 595 Forumite
    Checking Aviva's financial statements is the job of their auditors, who are PwC. Not the job of the independent expert appointed to prepare the report.

No problem there then!
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Checking Aviva's financial statements is the job of their auditors, who are PwC. Not the job of the independent expert appointed to prepare the report.
    Before the books get to either of those parties, its the job of the directors - every man Jack and Harriet of them. And if an independent expert presents him or herself to a court of law as such, they'd better be sure they don't sign heir name to anything given in evidence other the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Abdication of accountability and obfuscation of truth is what unfortunately defines the City, and the likes of steampowered methinks. So many think that's business. In financial services it most definitely isn't. It's fraud, plain and simple. Can't blame the darlings - they're surrounded, marinaded, and totally infused/confused by it.

Come the revolution, just so's they know before they get in too deep for redemption, it's a given that they can all be very easily spat out. Capiche ?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh god, its a tag team lol
  • fairleads
    fairleads Posts: 595 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2017 at 8:19PM
    Despite all this, atush and dunstonh appear to think it is funny to make useless comments and thanks for wanton mischief? Is that what mature regulars do?

Its the nature of the beast. But it has its advantages, it reinforces my opinion of the financial services industry and of those with a vested interest in them.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I repeat my earlier comment: if you can't explain something in a sentence, you don't understand it.

If this is so objectionable you should be able to clearly and concisely explain what the problem is.

I find your post difficult to understand than the actual scheme document you linked us to.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    fairleads wrote: »
    No problem there then!
    Indeed. There is no problem. The job of the auditors is to audit a company's financial statements. Financial audit is not the job of an independent expert appointed to advise the court on the implementation of a transfer scheme.
  • taktikback
    taktikback Posts: 282 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you ever considered any real freedoms? Freedom from the opinions of others...even the opinions of yourself?

agarnett - Colonal Kurtz lives again...
  • agarnett
    edited 17 May 2017 at 10:44PM
    Indeed. There is no problem. The job of the auditors is to audit a company's financial statements. Financial audit is not the job of an independent expert appointed to advise the court on the implementation of a transfer scheme.
    The independent expert is not sufficiently independent to be accepted to provide expert evidence, but clearly is independent enough to slip into his report a copy of the corrupt original brief which says do as we say and do not question what we say.

tiktakbak, with freedom comes responsibility. I fly planes - its a great freedom which unless you ever do, you might never fully understand that to which you allude airily, but it comes with a great responsibility not to weaken and fly the bloody thing into the towers of the City to make a point against the freedoms those crooks habitually think they can exercise with scant chance of bringing FCA or PRA or even MSE down on their heads.

I also ski, often across borders, and sometimes still on the pointy ones rather than the soft curved ones - free as a bird I am, but I sometimes wonder what it might be like to ski early morning above Davos and start an avalanche to bury some more of the same crooks on their annual shindig. That's even though of course, I always fully accept the responsibility not to ski off piste in areas where I might endanger others, and resist the thoughts of what I actually could do with the pointy skis once the crooks are down ;)

PS Colonel is spelled with an e not an a - I guess I am free to point that out without you taking too much offence? :p

PPS Those with an interest in freedoms will note that one of my posts was censured this evening ostensibly because I had earlier commented about hecklers holding hands, but probably there are other interests at work who don't like my excursions into more corporate analyses. For the avoidance of doubt, and to aid the spotting of the missing post, I think it was one that ended with the sentence fairlead quoted and bolded four posts above - and there was a reminder in the middle of it that the total funds in question were some £200 BILLION, ... or maybe more than one post has disappeared ... Yer pays yer money and yer ... Oo-er! :o

PPPS If I go quiet for a period, you'll know why ... :eek:
  • agarnett
    edited 17 May 2017 at 11:48PM
    And hey presto ... Aviva finally gets around to putting a relevant document library on the aviva.co.uk website ... not finished yet - there's a few example letters missing, but the poor darlings were in a rush ...

https://www.aviva.co.uk/form/changes-to-our-business-document-library

They have also today redirected the broken links in other documents to the above page.

To be frank having dipped into some of the documents on offer on that page, I am not sure what to say.

First there is a press release referring to the 27 April 2017 High Court Initial Hearing as a historical event i.e. an event which has happened, yet the PDF file dates are 2 days before the event. That's preparation for you I guess ;)

Then there's a document about changes to the PPFM in the funds that interest me - it's another PDF which is so fresh off the press it still contains the labels (metadata) left on by the graphic design outfit that produced it at Williams Lea Creative under a special Vendor agreement - I am not sure I needed to know that - pleased of course that Williams Lea Creative have won themselves a bit of business at Aviva, starting it seems with creating something lobbyful for all Avivas friends in the (independent - naturally:p) financial adviser arena but not sure the WLC name should be visible in the final release pdf documents they design? More shirts hanging out? Bit of a rush job?

On a more serious note, I can read from Aviva document at https://www.aviva.co.uk/adviser/product-literature/files/po/policyholderbooklet.pdf that Aviva are effectively giving themselves a licence to cook the With-Profits books any way they like as of 1 October 2017 - that is if they manage to bamboozle the High Court and PRA and FCA into approving it. Should existing policyholders just sit back and watch and not worry our pretty little heads?
  • taktikback
    taktikback Posts: 282 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sure thing Colonel...no offence taken..it's taktikback by the way..but you made a reasonable fist of it...

good speech by the way - your flying and skiing references reminded me of Roy in Blade Runner

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure