MSE News: Was your car affected by the VW emissions scandal? You could claim £1,000s

Comments

• reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My car's trip computer overstates the mpg by about 10%.
    Another VW fiddle?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hardly. It's a Toyota. I was mis-sold the car nine years ago. I want to return it for a full refund because it doesn't do the mpg it claims to do. I demand compensation too.
  • kiddy_guy
    kiddy_guy Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Honest enough to say when the whole scandal was announced I thought there might be a freebie in this for me. Nothing much, maybe a free service for the inconvenience they were causing. After all this is MSE :)

However - and this is a direct response to those who are still claiming ambulance chasers - the fix on my 1.6 Tdi is not being carried out because there are massive issues being reported.

EGR failures, reduced MPG, other engine related failures. The fix seems to have changed the way the engine runs at different speeds and the torque, and it's also causing more regens on the DPF, so people are having the car go into limp mode.

VAG are picking up bills of £2k plus post fix from people finding their car fails several hundred miles later and are paying them. Surely if the fix was having no effect on the engine, the VAG group would not be doing these gestures of goodwill. They know what it's doing, but they refuse to publish the independent report in the US.

There are allegedly dealers who are quietly saying to some of their best customers to not have the fix, knowing the impact.

The whole thing stinks. VAG are being as transparent as mud and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.

I didn't buy my car necessarily because of NOX emissions but when I do 30k a year, ran my last 1.9TDI to 230k miles, then the fact that this fix is killing people's MPG does mean that it will effect residuals and will cost them more to run. Not forgetting that when the EGR fails in another 30k miles, will VAG be so considerate with their gesture of goodwill? Unlikely...
  • Hi I've been affected by this scandal and promised numerous times by VW to fix my car. It was supposed to have been done in September of last year. Now in April, all has gone quiet and I don't know whether to pursue VW through the Small Claims court or to join a Group Action?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi I've been affected by this scandal and promised numerous times by VW to fix my car. It was supposed to have been done in September of last year. Now in April, all has gone quiet and I don't know whether to pursue VW through the Small Claims court or to join a Group Action?

I presume you didnt bother to read ANY of the previous posts, so lets see ... what are your losses?

What are you going to claim for?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• samwardill
    samwardill Posts: 219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I presume you didnt bother to read ANY of the previous posts, so lets see ... what are your losses?

What are you going to claim for?

I'd ignore this forum. It is full of VW stooges. Try the Facebook page at https://m.facebook.com/groups/955027937948541?ref=bookmarks
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My 2 year old Skoda was in for its 3rd MOT at a non-dealers garage when an elderly couple came in, thier VW Golf 2ltr Tdi DSG had gone all limp on the M54 and had been towed home, they wanted it collected and repaired, my alarm bells rang when they said "it had been in VW a week ago".....so i asked the question......"for the emissions update?"

The bloke relied yes

Couldnt suggest they rip into VW if I wanted my car to pass its test could I really
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi I've been affected by this scandal and promised numerous times by VW to fix my car. It was supposed to have been done in September of last year. Now in April, all has gone quiet and I don't know whether to pursue VW through the Small Claims court or to join a Group Action?

Affected how?
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've just yesterday bought a 2016 Passat TDI SE.

I've read the news today and am shocked and horrified to find that i have been scammed by VW.

Can i return it for a full refund or should i just claim £,£££?
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The company I work for leases 10+ VW Caddy vans, all have been in for the software update... not one driver has noticed any difference since!
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure