Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Comments

• hrafndot
    hrafndot Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2009 at 10:23PM
    thanks for this. Yes, It was that one. Mum will do ANYTHING to get a holiday and she has enough front to get change out of Seasons (for example) and she knows enough not to be conned, I am very curious about their angle, are they trying to get you to take on a time share? I said I would try to find out, thanks for helping; after reading all your links I am definitely going to tell her not to touch this one THANKS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 20 July 2009 at 1:12PM
    This is unbelivable. I've just won almost 2 million dollars. I've just received this email from this kind man in Africa:

fromFIFA WORLD CUP 2010 <fifaworldcup2010@****************>
    reply-toFIFA WORLD CUP 2010 <*************@>
    to
    dateFri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    subjectDEAR WINNER,PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE ATTACHMENT FOR DETAILS
    hide details Jul 17 (3 days ago) Reply

DEAR WINNER,PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE ATTACHMENT FOR DETAILS,YOU HAVE THEREFORE BEEN APPROVED FOR LUMP SUMS OF ONE MILLION NINE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS (US$M 1,900,000 00)
    SINCERELY,
    Mrs.FUNKEBALOGUN
    (Co-coordinator).
    Mrs. Caro Smith
    (Secretary)

http://spam-spam.blogspot.com/2009/07/mrs-funkebalogun-and-caro-smith-fifa.html
  • atro1
    atro1 Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    Another one from 'Unclaimed Prize Register.' Telling me they are holding a cheque for £25,0000 or something else!!!! Please send £14.95which includes postage and insurance.
    Thats from Carol Brown. Distribution manager Address, po box 111 Ross on Wye HR9 9WP
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • Hi jus yesterday i got a call saying congratulations you have won a 2 and a half week holiday to florida and the bahamas... through some competition i entered the people i spoke to were american and they said it was a company called Special T travel and competition was through slasunvacation.com they gave me 2 numbers and 2 web addresses and said was for up to 4 people .. tickets worth over 5000 stupidly i gave them my bank details mainly was shocked and it all sounded so real and my son was screaming in my ear as he baby.. as soon as i gave acc number had a feeling that all was not right as they said had 18 months to take holiday and they will send tickets out and all we needed to do was pay 798 us dollars later on if decided to go ahead with it when we booked.. feel really stupid now but never had this before as soon as i got off the phone i called my bank who then told me there was a request for £244 pending to be taken out i had no bills due to be paid or anything so knew had been scammed bank now doing a fraud investigation and cancelled my card and put a block on my money.. :( now having a crap wknd as cant do anything as no access to any money until sorted it out feel really stupid right now but got swept up in a dream... beware this was through facebook i play games on there and went into a competiton thing to get more coins for this game and they must have got my details through that
  • Daisy89
    Daisy89 Posts: 132 Forumite
    hi guys, just thought id let you know its not really a comping scam but theres a hm revenue and customs scam doing the rounds. my dad got it the other day. it says you are going to be refunded a certain amount from the tax office and asks for your details so it can be paid back to you. after you put in all your details including mothers maiden name and bank details!, it then says a completely different amount of money at the bottom of the form.. which is why we thought it was suspicious. so we rang them and they confirmed they would never ask for these details over the internet and that its a scam!
    Started comping: Dec 08 :)
    Recent WINS: AEGON Classic tickets, face pack.
    I would like to win in 2014: Money (any!), festival tickets, any wedding stuff and a hotel stay/holiday!
  • following the pre posted comments re this company seems that they are now in Leicestershire. Supposedly 1 of 41 for a local gift. Local phone number listed 01455 57069 with a reference number AHC 9898 received today 1.9.9 have until 3.9.9 to respond. Next door neighbour also received one this morning. So thanks to everyones comments its going in the bin now as it always was going there but glad I took a look and checked anyway:beer:
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Club La Costa been on the prowl again today. So if you get a missed call on this number 01619424683 it's them.
  • atro1 wrote: »
    Another one from 'Unclaimed Prize Register.' Telling me they are holding a cheque for £25,0000 or something else!!!! Please send £14.95which includes postage and insurance.
    Thats from Carol Brown. Distribution manager Address, po box 111 Ross on Wye HR9 9WP
    I keep getting these too, the latest today from "Jean Francis, Awards Controller" saying I've definitely won but have to phone at £1.50/minute to be able to get the "prize". Another one for the shredder!
  • someone rang me today saying I had won some wine said it would be delivered tomorrow and to get 2 glasses ready as we had to taste it see which one I liked he would bring about 14 different bottles to see which one I liked It seems strange he is coming to my house do you think this is a scam to try and get me to buy wine. Has anyone else had any similar phone calls. Hope some one can give me some advice Yvonne
  • Hmmmm.. I wouldn't let anyone into my house! Ring him back and just pick any of them and say you just want them delivered! xxx
    Avon Rep as of 05/10/10
    Avon Sales Leader as of 08/04/11

Executive Sales Leader & Bronze Presidents Club Member :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family