PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

LANDLORD TAX ALLOWANCES - is this allowed ...?

Quick Q...

I started letting my property in June 2016. Therefore in the process of completing Tax Return Self !!!.

In about February 2016 - so before the start of 16/17 tax year, I got my property ready for renting while I still lived there. Are these costs of getting it ready tax deductible allowances. One included a payment to the council for a Landlord License! A hefty 500pounds. Another was getting the fences in back garden replaced. (Although I feel I have lost receipt for the fences so that may have to be a no no)

Also, how exact are HMRC with figures? Very I assume. But if I started letting out on 27th June - do I then need to calc the exact rental income by that - bearing in mind each month has differing no. of days!

Thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2017 at 5:38PM
    Have you read:

https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax

Or for more in-depth detail:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual

Yes of course it must be exact. The number ofdays in a month is irrelevant. It's the amunt of rent you've received that matters.
  • thenap80
    thenap80 Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes I have read them but appear grey. Not definitive.

Also then, one that I can't find answer to...does the deposit count as income since I took it and placed it straight into DPS.

Toughie!
  • thenap80
    Okay so for final month of March where I get paid on the 27th....I will count the whole months pay (which includes alot of April) as being as one chunk to include on same tax year! ?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes. You received that money in the 2016/17 tax year (or whichever)

No the deposit is not income - it's not your money and you must return it later!

Your LL licence is clearly an expense of the business so claimable.

the fence sounds like a capital improvement so not claimable
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 July 2017 at 6:12PM
    thenap80 wrote: »
    Yes I have read them but appear grey. Not definitive.

Also then, one that I can't find answer to...does the deposit count as income since I took it and placed it straight into DPS.

Toughie!
    a deposit is not income, it is money you ultimately owe to your tenant (so a creditor) but in the meantime hold as a deposit (so an asset). as such the asset and the creditor balance and would appear on a balance sheet not on a profit and loss account as it is not income which you can spend.

if, eventually, you claim part of the deposit as deduction when the tenant terminates, then, and only then, would the deductions become income (and may, or may not, be offset by the expense of the actual repair - if one is done!
    Okay so for final month of March where I get paid on the 27th....I will count the whole months pay (which includes alot of April) as being as one chunk to include on same tax year! ?
    I thought you said you had read the PIM?

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim1101

Receipts are recognised in accordance with normal accountancy principles. This means that a taxpayer includes all incomings earned in the tax year regardless of when they are due or when they are received.

if you read the rest of that section you will then understand how to do it and, perhaps more importantly, when you don't have to do it that way...
    Another was getting the fences in back garden replaced. (Although I feel I have lost receipt for the fences so that may have to be a no no)
    that would be classed as pre commencement expenditure...must be incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the rental business and must not be capital expenditure

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim2505

as with everything on your SELF assessment tax return, what you choose to declare is down to your attitude to whether you will be "lucky" enough to be subject to a random inspection. At which point you will need to be able to support everything you claimed by producing paperwork to show what it was. naturally a tax inspector will make allowances for the odd small item, but a claim for hundreds of £ for "fences" without a receipt may not fall into such soft viewpoint.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There are more than 10 taxes a landlord may have to pay: Don't just worry about income tax!

Buy a book on property tax e.g.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Save-Property-Tax-2016/dp/1911020110
    - it will save you more than it costs...
  • thenap80
    There are more than 10 taxes a landlord may have to pay: Don't just worry about income tax!

Buy a book on property tax e.g.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Save-Property-Tax-2016/dp/1911020110
    - it will save you more than it costs...

And is this your book you are promoting? Pretty sure there are not TEN taxes I have to pay. Income tax is all I am worried about here!
  • thenap80
    What is the deal with the £4/month allowed for using home as an office. I don't let through an agen and do it myself. Can I claim this as standard or is there an algorithm for working it out. I'd obvioulsy like to claim this if I can.

And the claim for visiting my property - 45p/mile! What if someone else drives me or if I got the train. It is 20 miles a way.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What is the deal with the £4/month allowed for using home as an office. I don't let through an agen and do it myself. Can I claim this as standard or is there an algorithm for working it out. I'd obvioulsy like to claim this if I can.

And the claim for visiting my property - 45p/mile! What if someone else drives me or if I got the train. It is 20 miles a way.
    sorry but if you want someone to do your tax return for you whilst teaching you the basics of tax then go pay an accountant, instead of asking 1001 questions looking for free answers
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    00ec25 wrote: »
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim1101

Receipts are recognised in accordance with normal accountancy principles. This means that a taxpayer includes all incomings earned in the tax year regardless of when they are due or when they are received.

From 6/4/17, the default is cash basis for property letting and you have to elect to use the traditional/accruals basis.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/calculation-of-profits-of-property-businesses/income-tax-simplified-cash-basis-for-unincorporated-property-businesses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure