PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

old style homemade medicines/remedies for children

Options
hi, do you remember your mums homemade medicines, thick, treacly yucky stuff, but which actually worked! with more and more restrictions coming in on childrens cough and cold medicines (due to miss use by some parents), rising ages on labels and the fact that they dont seem to work away, i was wondering if anyone has any natural and herbal remedies which are suitable for children of all ages for things like colds, coughs, sore throat, itchy due to maybe rash/allergy, sleep problems, headache, bellyache etc. recipes, dose for age and any feedback would be greatly appreciated, also how long it would keep for thankyou.
One day I will live in a cabin in the woods

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You can't beat honey and lemon juice in hot water to soothe sore throats. Also a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a hanky or inhaled through steam for congested noses. I have heard that the herb feverfew made into a tea is good for reducing temperatures, but you would have to do some research on that first before trying it. Lavender oil is certainly good for relaxation and promoting sleep. Again, get a good book on aromatherapy or herbal remedies and study it carefully. Beware, some commercial medicines can interact with herbal preparations so do your homework first before trying things out on little guinea pigs!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My gran used to make blackberry vinegar medicine for coughs etc. It tasted foul but worked! I'll ask her for the recipe if she remembers it!

ETA: guess it was something like this recipe http://www.oldtimeremedies.co.uk/2008/03/blackberry-vinegar.html
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    raspberry vinegar works wonders for sore throats and colds!
  • grey_lady
    grey_lady Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    Options
    Mix a glass of warm water and a teaspoon of salt - gargle to get rid of sore throats.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    My mother used to give us butter, vinegar and sugar on a spoon for coughs.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this as a child so I googled it and it seems I wasn't alone although it appears you're meant to mix everything together, my mother didn't bother, the butter was put on a spoon, vinegar poured over then sugar sprinkled on top. :o

While googling I found this Channel4 site that is full of home-made remedies.
    http://www.medicinechest.info/
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this: Sorry, giving or asking for medical advice is not permitted on this forum as it’s not what this site is about. While discussing medical insurance policies, cheaper ways to see consultants, cashback for alternative health treatments and how to get specific medication cheaper (legally) are all perfectly acceptable we ask you specifically not to discuss what to do in the event of certain medical problems (please see this rule on the Health Board). If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport