HELLO From New Zealand

Comments

• sallyx
    sallyx Posts: 15,815 Forumite
    Wow Chev, so exciting that your finally in New Z. I would love to up sticks and head down under.
    Good luck and look forward to hearing more.....
    I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change And breakaway. I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change and breakaway ....
    Finally Debt Free...
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wow internet access is tricky over here, some of it is so slow it is worse than dial up:eek: .So getting oh's cv up on line has taken AN HOUR just to upload a couple of pages in Word!

Other than that, the weather is about the same as when we left the UK overcast and about 18 degrees C. We have been to Orere Point which was lovely, very moutainous. Boy the cows can hang on round there. They are going up and down hills here that would be left for hill farming sheep in the UK!:D

At a bit of a stand still today, as tried to get off our site at Tauranga this am and the bloody van has packed up. Hence why I am allowed to waste (ahem) some of the internet time. They are having to send a van down from Auckland which will take 3 hours AT LEAST. So assuming the fault is not down to us I will be asking for a days hire cost back!

Hope all is going well for you guys. there are so many differences here, especially when it comes to communicating. Here there is basically only Vodaphone for mobiles, and every shop sells the same plans. So no playing one off against the other to get more minutes etc. And the assistants thought we were mad when we asked if the PAYG sims were free:rolleyes: .

Anyway I am meant to be culling spam from our email so ttfn
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • smashedbooboo
    smashedbooboo Posts: 4,558 Forumite
    Hi honey, thats a bit carp about the internet. And the phones. Not very MSE out there then. Maybe you could pass on some tips to them x x x x x
    Night Owl Member No 1 :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Night owl member of the threesome. Rules are for fools to follow and wise men to be guided by
    No Man is worth your tears,
    And the one who is wont make you cry !!!!!
  • chevalier
    I think that there could be a lot of scope for MSE over here. There a lot of money scams going on over here, that have already been dealt with in the UK. Like the one where as long as people keep joining the earlier joiners get a return but in reality the investment it was meant to be isn't it is basically gone in the fraudsters pockets
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • smashedbooboo
    smashedbooboo Posts: 4,558 Forumite
    OMG, pyramid selling. Not good at all. Well you could be the next mrs chevalier, MSE in New Zealand. What a hoot that would be if you did. x x x x
    Night Owl Member No 1 :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Night owl member of the threesome. Rules are for fools to follow and wise men to be guided by
    No Man is worth your tears,
    And the one who is wont make you cry !!!!!
  • Bismarck
    Bismarck Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    yup...remember it well...Mrs Bismarck & I went on our honeymoon there and it felt like we'd gone in a timewarp sometimes!

enjoy the "rest" and good luck with the job-hunting...
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • kiwifruit_2
    kiwifruit_2 Posts: 4,760 Forumite
    Ki Ora Chev!!!!!! Wow so your in my homeland huh....enjoy!!!! Your meeting and greeting through customs/immigration sounds like a nightmare but while your driving around and seeing the scenery, you will see why taking off your shoes and having them disinfected is so important - we cant afford to get any of the agricultural problems - but hey enough of that.....just a tad of advice on the pc front.....find a main library or a bigger internet cafe - the download speed there will be similar to what your used to. NZ isnt really behind in tech stuff but sometimes in the more rural areas its harder to get the access. Not sure where you are, but if your in or around Auckland, are you aware theres a place called Pt Chevallier!!!!! get your photo taken under the sign lmao.....hey enjoy- try the local food, speak to the locals and find the places they find interesting, kick back and enjoy :)
    'Normal' is a dryer setting.
  • chevalier
    Ki Ora kiwifruit. Thanks for the tip about the computer speed. It will of course be so much easier, once we are in our proper home rather than a campervan. We are in Roturua today (way to windy/rainy on the coast at Whakatane) and the speed here is pretty good. So am writing as fast as my little frozen fingers will let me. IT IS COLD HERE FOLKS!!! Still we are past the shortest day now so onwards and upwards into spring.

We think we are going to try for OH to get a job in Auckland or North Shore and then find a house a bit futher out. So fingers crossed it all works. We are waiting from the funds from the states (yes for all you regulars that did all work out but only after 2 YEARS!). And then we can look at the bond for the rental etc.

Was my older ds birthday today, so we went on a DUCK! For those of you not near London these are amphibious vehicles that take you on a tour on land and sea. Well cool (they also operate in London too), and the boys were fascinated.

anway I have no idea how much longer i have on the connection so have to go what i am meant to be doing
    chev

PS MARTIN YOU ARE NEEDED OVER HEAR. They were advertising consolidation of debts as the best way to pay them off. I cringed!!!!
  • Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Hiya Chev! I have only just seen your thread and it looks like you are online now. How can that be? Isn't it the middle of the night?

I'm glad you got there safely, hope you are enjoying the 'holiday' before your OH starts work. Happy birthday to DS - I have been on one of those Duck tours on the Thames by the way!
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• kiwifruit_2
    kiwifruit_2 Posts: 4,760 Forumite
    ahhhhh your in Rotovegas then :beer: I can imagine how cold it is there - its one of the hotest places in summer but in the winter it can be awful - thats when you get yourself down to the hotpools and have a good soak...have you been to the buried village yet??? amazing place -on Tarawera Rd if im remembering right.... The luge is a bit of fun while your in Rotorua.......North Shores had some bad press over recent years but its not a bad place to live really (Ive a brother living there)...Have you emigrated or are you on an extended holiday???
    'Normal' is a dryer setting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport