Buyer wants refund

Options
Sunny_Saver
Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,044 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I have a 'no returns' policy. What are the implications of this please?
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comments

• Sounds like buyer remorse.

2 avenues ask them to return or try to talk them out of it, with the second you run the risk of them damaging the item further to get a refund so the first might be easier.
  • chancesare_2
    Options
    How long has the buyer had it?
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the box was sealed, how do you know it wasn't faulty in the first place? Unless you tested it and found it working then you do not know for sure it was working. It may also have been damaged in transit.

If the buyer opens a case for not as described due to it being faulty you will be forced to refund and you may not get the camcorder back. It really doesn't matter if you accept returns or not, Ebay will force you to accept a return for faulty items.

Personally I'd accept the item back. Test it and then resell. You can always block this buyer if you do not want to deal with them again.
  • chancesare_2
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    If the box was sealed, how do you know it wasn't faulty in the first place? Unless you tested it and found it working then you do not know for sure it was working. It may also have been damaged in transit.

If the buyer opens a case for not as described due to it being faulty you will be forced to refund and you may not get the camcorder back. It really doesn't matter if you accept returns or not, Ebay will force you to accept a return for faulty items.

Personally I'd accept the item back. Test it and then resell. You can always block this buyer if you do not want to deal with them again.

Well it would depend on how long the buyer has had it. If it has failed to charge on first use it is SNAD. If it has failed on second use, it isn't SNAD. Likewise, if it has failed after the period allowed for escalation of a case (30 days from delivery) then the buyer can't escalate. It's therefore very difficult to give the seller any advice without all the info.
  • Sunny_Saver
    edited 16 October 2016 at 9:54PM
    Options
    The buyer received it on Friday

Ps what is SNAD?
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [QUOTE=Sunny Saver;71436709

What's the point of being able to state 'no refund policy' if that can't be enforced?[/QUOTE]

Because you can not sell faulty items and then wash your hands of it when the buyer complains. Turn this around. If you brought something that didn't work, you'd just accept you lost the money because the seller says they do not accept returns?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The buyer received it on Friday and told me yesterday.

I have no idea whether it was working or not, as it was BNIB and sealed. However, I found it odd that the buyer asked if I had not used it for some time when it was clearly stated in ad as being BNIB and surely when she received it, she saw it was sealed.

Ps what is SNAD?

SNAD = significantly not as described.

No returns, is fairly pointless but really relates to change of mind for private sales. As this isn't a change of mind it means you still have to offer a return.

Have you had the item long? Is it under warranty? Perhaps you can transfer the warranty if it is (assuming the buyer won't mind keeping it). Failing that, can you return it as faulty?
  • Sunny_Saver
    Options
    Does the buyer have to prove the item is faulty?

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does the buyer have to prove the item is faulty?

The buyer can't really show you it isn't charging properly. Therefore you need to ask them to open a returns case and you will need to provide a paid returns label so they can send it back. When it's back you can check it, but you will have to refund in full.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure